Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Does anyone know where I can buy some hope!

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 07:31

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Amanda, how about starting a Journal in the bootcamp section of the forum. Your problems could be a result of many little things, listing your daily menus would help greatly pinpoint things. What you eat, when you eat it, how much. What you're drinking; are you on any meds? Are you stressed? All these things will effect weight loss.

As for the dollar issue; I suggest checking out Andy Davies Journal "Another way of doing it" He's got some good ideas for UK members on a fixed income. Also, take a look through the recipe and kitchen forums; there are some great meals there. Sometimes all you need is a change.

Best of luck,
Nat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 10:01

Plan: Atkins Diet w/ a twist
Stats: 200/177/140
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Journal

Posting a journal in the bootcamp section of this site has helped me get some tips from other members viewing my journal. You might be eating hidden carbs, and not realizing it.
Little things that you think may not have carbs in it- may actually be loaded with them.
I am not sure what your packaging laws are for foods in the UK. It might be possible that they are not listing carbs on it.
Since you are a vegetarian, have you only been eating fish? Maybe you need to up the amount of protein you are having each day.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-01, 10:58

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally posted by OKya:
I love the way the atkins has made me feel

While you try to figure out what you might need to do to get things going again (starting a journal as the others have suggested and checking out Andy's info.), focus on what you have written.

Think back and remember what you felt like at your starting weight and BEFORE making all those changes which have brought you increased energy and vitality. Do you really want to go back? I bet not. You just have to hang in there. Eventually your body will give in and give up more of that excess fat.

I suggest you read threads by LC Sponge as well. She talks about a five month stall but she didn't give up and she is now PAST her goal weight. Took her a long time but she made it.

Me too, if I reach goal by Feb. 2002, it will have taken me a year to lose what I needed to lose.

Keep up the good work. You can do it!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 12:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/136/145 Female 5'8.5"
BF:33.95/24.51/20
Progress: 111%
Default Hang in There

I know how frustrating "stalls" can be.... and, I think posting to the journal section is a good idea. Some of us are very sensitive to certain foods. For example, I have a close friend who can eat canned whipped cream with no problems. However, if I eat that...my weight loss stalls. Also, there are people who can have the Atkins Endulge Chocolate bars and nutrition bars...but, if I have them I stall again. Also, I tired to stay in the induction phase too long...and that created a stall. I actually broke the stall by adding strawberries in the morning (that's just me... you need to find out what works for you). Coffee can stall some people, diet cokes can stall others. Our food sensitivities seem to be very different.

Also, candida (yeast) in the body can make it difficult to lose weight. Unfortunately, I do have Candida and that means that I should limit cheese. I haven't been that successful at letting go of the cheese so, I lose at a slower rate. When I eliminate the cheese...I lose faster.

Hang in there...you'll get past this!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 08:56

Plan: Atkins and other LC Variety Plans
Stats: 294/288.5/165
BF:
Progress: 4%

Amanda, I came across this and thought I'd post it here. Hang in there.

#1. DON'T GIVE UP - Your continued search will probably find the problem and correct it.

#2. CHECK FOR HIDDEN SOURCES OF SUGAR - Sugar goes under many different names & in many cases does NOT appear on the label. Many vitamin tablets have sugar fillers.

#3. PERHAPS YOU'RE CHEATING ON THE DIET - If you think it's too small to matter better check again. (Even one M&M)

#4. OR YOU MAY STILL BE KEEPING YOUR FOOD INTAKE TOO LOW - Many times you carry over habits from other diets & eat too little. EAT UP...The right things & don't skip meals.

#5. ARE YOU EATING SIX SMALL MEALS OR SNACKS A DAY? - A frequent eating schedule will provide a constant source of energy without the insulin rebound. Six small feedings a day are better than 3 large meals to break the energy/weight loss barrier.

#6. YOU MAY NOT HAVE FOUND YOU PROPER LEVEL YET - Reduce carbos still further, works in 4 out of 5 people, or ADD carbos while still remaining in ketosis. Try it and see.

#7. CHECK YOUR MINERAL BALANCE - You may have a mineral imbalance. Such as zinc/copper, Or a trace mineral shortage.

#8. YOU MAY BE LOSING TOO MUCH SALT - Salt or potassium shortages are common in the first stages of the diet. Eat salty foods & take potassium supplements.

#9. TRY TO EXERCISE MORE - Exercise can improve circulation, stablilize blood sugar & other important metabolic benefits.

#10. FOOD ALLERGY--A NEW CONCEPT - May cause all sorts of problems, fatique, headache, Check possibility in your diet.

#11. FOOD ADDITIVES MAY BE YOUR PROBLEM - Over a billion lbs of chemicals added to our food every year. (1977 data) You may be allergic to some of them. Check dyes in soft drinks.

#12. YOU MAY BE DRINKING TOO MUCH COFFEE OR TEA - Coffee, cola & tea stimulate release of insulin with a temporary lift in energy followed by hunger, fatique & slower weight loss.

#13. IT MAY BE BECAUSE YOU ARE SMOKING - Some people will not respond to the diet unless smoking is stopped. Smoking uses up vitamin C & stimulates the adrenal gland.

#14. HOW MUCH ARE YOU DRINKING? - Alcohol stimulates insulin.

#15. IT MAY BE THE MEDICINES YOU ARE TAKING - Many drugs, even aspirin, can cause hypoglycemia. Watch out for hormones, amphetamines, diuretics, antihistamines, antiinflammatory drugs, analgesics, anticoagulants, antidiabetics, antibiotics, tranquilizers, clofibrate, acetaminophen, and propanolol.

#16. LAST MONTH'S DIET PILLS MAY BE SLOWING YOU DOWN - Sometimes it isn't what you are taking but what you were taking that slows you down. Remember they can stay in your system for a while.

#17. SEX HORMONES - Will slow down weight loss and stimulate the production of insulin. Estrogen (used in birth control pills) and Testosterone have much the same effect.

#18. TOO MUCH SALT MAY BE CAUSING RETENTION OF WATER - After 2 to 3 weeks on the diet, the body partially adapts and excessive salt can cause some water retention.

#19. WHAT ABOUT QUANTITIES? - If weight loss stops short of your ideal weight, even though you are producing ketones, you must conclude that the quantities within the diet are too great. The diet usually works best with just enough calories to stave off hunger. Too many people misinterpret the instructions regarding the diet as "Eat unrestrictedly." When they do this they will still lose weight in the beginning, which will reinforce their assurance that no heed whatever need be paid to quantities. In most cases, this practice will lead to a stalemate partway to desired goal.

#20. YOU MAY HAVE TO COUNT CALORIES IN ADDITION TO CARBOHYDRATES - I have never said that calories don't count because I know of course they do. I say that carbohydrates count more. If your case is especially difficult, you may have to count both. There is no question that a 1,500 -calorie, 10-gram diet will take more weight off, and more quickly, than a 2,000-calorie 10-gram diet.

ADDENDUM:

#1. Your problem may be a low thyroid.
#2. A systemic YEAST infestation may be part of your problem. Read chapter 13 of "Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution"
#3. Your vitamin mix may need something different. Read chapter 22 on Nutritional Supplements
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-01, 06:52
Registered Member

Stats: 202.1/193.1/145
BF:
Progress: 16%

Please don't get discouraged. You are worth the fight. You already have come so far. I just started about 2 weeks ago. So I have already gotten a little aggrevated about the egg thing myself. I have learned that experimenting helps. I have come up with some pretty weird "recipes" that no one would be caught eating. hee hee But this allows some flexibility too a rather strict set of guidelines. Please don't give up, we are all worth the fight. We deserve to be healthy and happy. I hope you find a new sense of direction and keep going forward, even if you have to crawl for a while. My best wishes and love to you! YOU CAN DO THIS!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 19:35
Registered Member

Stats: 222/217/160
BF:
Progress: 8%

Don't give up...... you already know that it works
just get on these boards and look for your inspiration....
we will carry you when you can't carry yourself.....
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 08:37
Registered Member

Stats: 128/114/114
BF:

Some fantastic advice there! How did you get on Amanda?

Cocoabear
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 05:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/136.4/121
BF:
Progress: 19%
Smile

Amanda, although I have only been on Atkins for 2 weeks I totally agree with what your saying - I am bored already too. Breakfast is the worst, I used to enjoy fresh fruit for breakfast most days and I miss that sooo much. There are only so much eggs one can eat!! I wish you the best of luck and if you come up with some interesting recipies please forward them!! Keep hanging in there!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:12

Plan: mix of IF and Keto diet
Stats: 283/256/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I've become very 'weird' in my food choices to keep my breakfasts & other meals from getting too boring. Forget about what you're used to eating in the past (I used to have a bowl of cereal with milk & fruit or toast with butter & cheese for breakfast). Now I'll have leftover roast beef or pork chops from the night before. I keep a supply of hamburger patties, that I've already fried before hand, in my freezer so that I can have a quick breakfast on the run. Some sauces in the stores are not too bad with their carb count. Often I'll thin the sauce out a little more with water and then spread lightly on my meats to give a different twist in flavour. Hankering for a ham & egg sandwich? Put a fried egg in between 2 slices of ham. Cut it like you would a regular sandwich and it can fool your mind into thinking you've just had a sandwich. Add cheese, bacon, lettuce leaf & tomato slice too if you care to.

Another trick that has really helped me out is to try to have something hot with every meal. If I eat something cold, I'll top it off with a cup of hot tea, coffee, water, chicken broth, or whatever. There's something very satisfying about a 'warm stomach'. A cup of hot water not only helps to get your water intake up for the day, but it also helps satisfy a hungy-feeling you may have between meals.

It's hard to break out of a mold that we've been in for years. But we need to be creative for our taste bud's sake. Friends and family may give us the 'eye' for our different ways of eating but who cares. We're not out to impress them with what kind of food we're eating ...it's our determination they'll be impressed with in the end.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 10:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

That's great advice Schwarz!

What works is looking at meals, just as meals and not as any particular types of food ad certain times. They can be anything within the low-carb guidelines you have set for yourself. Anything!

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 10:56

Stats: 173/148/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default OKya...

OKya,
The fact that you're looking for answers means you haven't given up hope. THIS WOL WORKS!

Plateaus, stalls - whatever you want to call them are to be expected. You've been given some great advice by the other people who replied to your cry for help. PenclPushr posted some absolutely wonderful information.

What about WATER? You didn't mention it. Are you drinking enough of it? For my wife and myself it is the "magic bullet." Being sufficiently hydrated is critical. It can mean the difference between success and failure. Eating too much bacon may have caused me to stall at one point. Limiting my consumption of bacon seemed to help me break out of it. This worked for me - it may work for you.

As for exercise, Dr. Atkins himself answers the question "What are the drawbacks to exercise?" on Page 263 in DANDR with this straightforward answer: "There are none."

Working 60 hours a week, like you said you do, certainly would leave little time for exercise. If there is anyway you could manage to simply walk 3 or 4 times a week for twenty minutes or a half hour you would notice a refreshing and energizing after-effect that would enable you to be more productive and efficient with the little time left in your day. It will also cause the weight to come off faster and curb your appetite as well. dankar

Last edited by dankar : Thu, Mar-28-02 at 11:42.

Article tools