Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 22:06
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 221/207/170 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Results!

I started low-carbing in January and did my first blood test, after dropping 25, pounds in March:

March 2013 results (after 2 months LCing):
Total cholesterol: 172
HDL: 48
Triglycerides: 52
LDL: 114

Now I've been doing low-carb for the most part, although I have to admit that my carbs have been a little bit higher the last couple months. Nothing crazy, but higher than I'd like (100-150/day probably, occassionally 200, no weight gain with it). My newest results:

Total: 216
LDL: 140
HDL: 61
Trigs: 77

I'm thinking my trigs are up because I've been a little worse with the carbs lately. I love my HDL, especially considering that when I did a Weight Watchers / low-fat diet a couple years ago my HDL was 29 with trigs around 175.

Any thoughts/interpretations on my results?

Last edited by bbmedic413 : Mon, Oct-21-13 at 23:16.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-13, 11:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In the new Cholesterol Clarity book, the very optimal levels to aim for are HDL 70mg or higher and 70 mg/dL or less for triglyceride levels, or a 1:1 ratio. You are very close to perfect.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-13, 20:06
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic diet
Stats: 221/207/170 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
In the new Cholesterol Clarity book, the very optimal levels to aim for are HDL 70mg or higher and 70 mg/dL or less for triglyceride levels, or a 1:1 ratio. You are very close to perfect.

Yeah thats what I'm shooting for. I put a lot of stock in Thomas Dayspring who likes an LDL particle count as #1, but if that test isn't available, looking at the HDL-to-trig ratio. His two podcasts with Jimmy Moore really shed a lot of light on the subject.