Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, May-29-10, 15:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 276/234.8/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 26%

ooooooo......I just realized I can use these for BLT's !!!! come grocery day, come!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 13:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 315/304/160 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hello Nina I like your picture and your message
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Dec-25-10, 13:35

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Just made these again this morning. Such a quick recipe and perfect for the base of Eggs Benedict. And the sop up the excess Hollandaise sauce extremely well!
  #124   ^
Old Mon, Dec-27-10, 17:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/183.4/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Made these for the first time today - used 4 eggs and got 6 in my muffin top pan. I prefer the Oopsie rolls but think I will stick with these as they are much more economical and as where I live cream cheese is $4.98 for an 8 oz. pak so the Oopsie ones are quite pricey. Once you make them into a sandwich they are just as good though. Had fried egg and cheese for lunch today.
  #125   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 15:27

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

has it been asked anywhere in this thread whether the eggs and mayo etc need to be room temperature? I've read different things about eggs being better used at room temperture and making fluffier whites etc.

Any thoughts, suggestions?
  #126   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-11, 23:32
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Egg whites beat a little more quickly and to a somewhat larger volume if they're at room temperature. I don't know that having the mayo at room temp would be any improvement, though.

I don't think, when mixed in with the whites, that the mayo would cool them to such an extent as to make a noticeable difference in the finished product. (I have not done comparison experiments to test this theory, though, so it's JMO. )

I usually just grab the eggs and other stuff from the fridge and proceed to make the recipe. Now that I'm retired, I make no effort to be especially organized. More often than not, I'll just suddenly decide to make some Rev Rolls or Oopsies, dash on out to the kitchen and make them.

Last edited by Kisal : Fri, Jan-21-11 at 23:38.
  #127   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 12:45

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

I'll probably do the same, just make them, if the temperature of the eggs makes no difference.
  #128   ^
Old Tue, Jan-25-11, 15:30

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
Now that I'm retired, I make no effort to be especially organized. More often than not, I'll just suddenly decide to make some Rev Rolls or Oopsies, dash on out to the kitchen and make them.

Hmmmm... ummmm... I'm not retired and that seems to be what I do to. I'll be watching tv or reading or even working and suddenly decide to make Rev Rolls. lol
  #129   ^
Old Wed, Jan-26-11, 14:10

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 218/175.4/113 Female 62 in
BF:
Progress: 41%

I'd heard about these but hadn't bothered looking for the recipe, so thanks to all those who've kept this thread bumped or I might never have tried them. I made my first batch today (with a bit of trepidation because I didn't like the oopsie rolls when I made them). I messed up reading the recipe and made 6 huge rolls instead of 12 small ones, Also, I hadn't folded it quite enough so the egg yolk left at the bottom of the bowl made the last 2 rather runny.

BUT, all that being said, I cut one of them in half (like a bun) and put my tuna salad on it and it was lovely to eat a sandwich again. Also, my 5 year old asked for one with cream cheese and jelly and she liked it as well. Two of my teens tried them ... one with turkey and cheese, and the other with peanut butter. They said it was just as good as the [nasty] cheap white bread they have insisted on eating. I am one HAPPY MOM!!

Thank you for a great recipe.
  #130   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-11, 22:28

Plan: Atkins phase 2
Stats: 133/133/120 Female 64ins.
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the variation. I just started low carbing and made the cream cheese version. Loved them! I toasted one and spread w cream cheese topped with sunnyside up egg and topped it off with smoked salmon! Now that's a sammie!!!
  #131   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-11, 11:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Bumping this thread; so much good information, and today I made this variation:

Jays Low Carb Croissants!

4 Egg Whites

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

3 Egg Yolks

1 Tsp Mrs Dash (original blend)

1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese

1 scoop of 365 Brand vanilla whey protein shake (from whole foods) mix with 1/4 water

1 Tablespoon Mayonnaise

Method:

1. To the egg yolks add the Mayonnaise, Mrs dash, cheddar cheese and the vanilla shake and mix until uniform.
2. To the egg whites add the cream of tartar and whisk using a mixer as shown in the video.
3. Add the egg yolk mixture to the egg whites and fold in the mixture.
4. Using a large spoon, spoon mixture out to a try lined with parchment paper.
5. Bake for 35 minutes at 300 degrees
6. Turn oven off and leave in oven for another 5 minutes.
7. Then remove croissants and place on a wire rack to cool.
8. Let cool for about 10 minutes before eating.

This mixture will make 6 large croissants, Enjoy!

1 carb each

http://www.lowcarb360.com/jays-low-carb-croissants.html

I noodled around with it: used 2 tbl parsley because I didn't have any Mrs Dash, and used a 1/4 cup of unflavored whey protein.

Also, I didn't have a muffin top pan (yet!) so I put six baking cups on the cookie sheet and filled those; worked pretty well. It was good that I had a silicone sheet on the pan, too, because there was some overflow.

I'm amazed at how good they are. I put them in the fridge; isn't there something about leaving them overnight in the fridge makes them better?

Anyway, I'm going to be doing a LOT of experimenting with this recipe now that I have a mixer that works!