Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Mon, Apr-10-06, 17:11
I KNOW I CAN!!!

Plan: A combo of a few
Stats: 208/172/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Bent over DB upright row

15 x 15

3 minutes on elliptical

My plan is to do 1 set of 15 this entire week, then next week increase it to 2 sets if I experience no pain this week, then the following week increase to 3 sets of 15 and see how I feel. And for the elliptical, I'll do 3 minutes and if I experience no pain, I'll increase by 2 minutes each week until I reach 20 minutes. My doctor told me to increase by 2 minutes when I do increase. So that's the plan. Right now it feels like "I'm barely doing anything so why bother" But if I want to keep using my muscles and increase to feel like I AM doing something, then I need to start out slowly and increase slowly.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 17:04
I KNOW I CAN!!!

BF:

After nearly a year, I've decided to start using this gym log again.

Due to injury, my workouts can hardly be called workouts....right now. But just you wait.

45 minutes chest and back

I've Tivo'd some exercise workouts from FitTV and this one is Cathe Friedrich. I really like her workouts.

She counts 2 down and usually 6 up, 8 reps and 3 sets of each exercise. If I remember correctly, this workout was

chest press 15, 10, 10
flyes 7.5. 7.5, 7.5
bent rows 10, 10, 10
pull overs 20, 20. 20

Then I did 5 minutes on the elliptical.

Again, not much but it's a start. I can't start out too strong or I'll end up hurting myself and not being able to do anything. So that's that. I didn't eat well today so my goal tomorrow is to eat well AND exercise.
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 18:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Yay Cara!
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 18:32

BF:

It occurred to me several months ago....it was no longer just for the physical benefits that I work out.....I have to do it now for the mental benefits as well, and I know I can't quit. I love the rewards of working out.

I am SO glad you felt so much better. If I can be of any help....you know where you can find me.
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 19:02
I KNOW I CAN!!!

BF:

I added another 5 minutes on the elliptical. That felt good, too. I hope I remember this tomorrow instead of dreading it.
  #156   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-07, 18:24
I KNOW I CAN!!!

BF:

Well, I'm REALLY sore from yesterday, arms, chest, calves, YIKES. I was going to do lifting today, but decided I was too sore, plus I had to work 3 hours for my sister today and then drive 1/2 hour each way to pick up my new prescription so I didn't want to push it. I drove probably a total of 2 hours today which is alot for me.

20 minutes cardio on the stability ball. WHEW. I think I'll have to skip this from now on as it requires A LOT of room so I'll figure out some other exercises.

I got a new ball today, it's a Gold's Gym ball and it has 2 lbs of sand in it to help keep it stay put, it's great. It came with a DVD so I think I'll check it out tomorrow. I'm home all day tomorrow so I'll do some lifting tomorrow.

I wanted to come home and crash today so I'm just glad I did something.
  #157   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-07, 08:14
I KNOW I CAN!!!

BF:

*dusting off the cob webs*

Well, since last Tuesday, I've made a pact with my 12 year old niece that we were going to walk for at least a month. I know we'll keep going, but I wanted us both to commit that long because at the point it will be a habit and hopefully we won't want to quit. I can't, I have to keep walking.

With all of my pain and medical issues lately, I haven't done any type of exercise. Well, I was feeling just blah and knew I needed to do something since I'm on the go, but don't get any exercise to speak of. And my poor niece really lacks self esteem and is overweight. I knew we'd really be helping each other. So we started last Tuesday. I told anybody else in my family if they'd like to join, PLEASE do, but the commitment is between my niece and I. There have been a few days where I nearly didn't go and ended up going so I didn't let her down. So on my end, having committed to her, it's working for me. If it was just me walking, I wouldn't have gone. We live in the mountains so nothing is flat her and some hills are extremely steep or a constant gradual incline, which to me are worse than the very steep hills. I measured it and we've been walking 1.5 miles daily. We get up at 6am every morning at go. I told her we needed to do 5 days a week and said we would take the weekends off. I figured I'd walk at least a mile to my mom's on those days, too. She said she'd like to walk weekends, also. Well, we didn't walk Monday because that was the day we decided to do it and it was late in the day. Then we did miss another day because it was pouring. So we got in 5 days last week. On the weekends we don't go until 8 so we can sleep in a little bit. My husband, who claims he gets all the exercise he needs at work, is going, too. Now, he may get some exercise, but he just won't listen that just because it's constant and he does break a sweat, it just isn't the same as constant cardio like that. He may keep his heart rate up, but it isn't every day he works steady like that, physically I mean, and it isn't the same. I told him, after a month of walking, and betting him he'll drop weight, then he won't be able to tell me the same. I told him, if he gets exercise like that everyday, no way should he be overweight, and he is by about 40 lbs. And it really worries me because he carries most of it in his stomach and torso, but mainly his stomach. Of course, that is the worst place to carry it. So he isn't walking for himself right now, he's doing it to make me happy. Ya know, I'm fine with that. He can say he's doing it for me, but really he's doing it for himself. Between his mom and dad, they've suffered heart attack, breast cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, so you see where I'm going with that. All of those problems are somewhat weight related. His dad is overweight and so is his entire family, actually. So I really worry about his health. He has every check mark against him, really. His dad recently had to start giving himself insulin shots instead of just a pill. So he needs to be more careful and take better care of himself. I've been keeping better foods in the house and I've been eating a lot more fruit. I guess I'm not really doing a LC diet anymore. I'm just watching everything I eat. I talked with my doctor, my pump doctor, because I was having a lot of trouble with constipation sorry. But with my medication, that is a big time side effect. I take a LOT of over the counter meds to counteract that and it still wasn't working. My doctor told me to cut back on meat (which I don't eat tons of anyway) and add in a lot more fruits and veggies. Well, I'm not big on veggies but I've been eating fruit salad, mainly just watermelon, honeydew, grapes and strawberries together and truly enjoying it. Plus, it is definitely helping with my problems. So that is what I'm trying to do, just eat healthier and a somewhat LC and try to keep my fats down, diet.

So on Sunday, we walked 3 miles and it was extremely hilly. I was feeling pain before I ever went and at first told my niece I wasn't going. But I felt guilty so DH and I got up and went. About 1/2 way going, and climbing a steady low incline (which to me is torture) I told DH I didn't think I could do the big hill, I was hurting. So we were behind my niece and brother in law (I forgot to mention he's walking every morning with us, too) and when we got to the hill, DH said ok, let's turn around. I told him no, I needed and wanted to go for it. So I did it!!!!! I was so proud of myself. I made it all the way there and back, again, 3 miles doesn't sound too bad, but being in the mountains, WHEW!!!! Then here comes my twig of a nephew, well, skinny but muscular, he's 14, and he left after us, comes jogging along and beats us all and then comes back to meet us on his bike. He's so sweet to me, we were close to being done and he looked at me and must have saw I was struggling, not too bad plus I was hot and tired He asked if I was ok and I said yes, he asked if I was sure and then asked if I wanted some water. I told him no thanks and he offered to go ride home and get me a bottle. Good kid he is. So I felt so great knowing I finished that, big hills and all.

Then today, I'm adding in light weight lifting. I haven't gone through and figured out my plan, but I think I'll just do the 3 day split I did way back when. I really enjoyed that and I could see some changes starting so I know it worked. So that's that. I'm so happy to be back here and feel so alive and like I'm doing something since starting to exercise.

Oh, the other reason why this is so important to me. I had a bone density scan done (I'm 34 years old but had a complete hysterectomy when I was 28) so one of my physical therapists suggested I have it done a few years ago. Well, they had a thing at the hospital where it was free so I went laughing I was only 34, it was fine. My mom wished me luck as she was leaving and I was going in. I laughed and said it's dumb I'm even going, it'll be fine. WRONG!!!! I mean, it wasn't anything major. It came back abnormal and I'm just on the borderline for the beginning stage of osteopenia. Go figure. So if weight lifting helps to strengthen bones and I can maybe prevent bone loss later in life, I'd be a complete moron not to try to help myself. My gyn. doctor said he wants to have a scan done yearly. I sent the free test results to him to get his opinion and he said I didn't have to have anything further this year, but he wants one done yearly, either the free one like I had or a DEXA completely bone scan. Next year, I'll opt for the complete bone scan if my insurance pays for it so I can make sure that free test was right. Sometimes, those types of tests can be off, so this way I'll be sure. At first he said to just start taking calcium. I told him, he told me when I had my hysterectomy it was VERY important to make sure and take hormone replacement and calcium and I haven't missed it since. Of course I may miss a day here or there, but I take them faithfully. So that kind of threw him for a loop. That's when he said he'd do a test yearly now. But I have to do what I can to help myself, too.

Ok, I'd better get going. But there is my exercise plan. I'll update my lifting plan later.
  #158   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 02:20
I KNOW I CAN!!!

BF:

Wednesday, July 4th

Walked about 2 miles, again, hilly. All of my walks will be hilly, so I won't even mention it anymore, but boy it sure does make a difference and work a bunch of different muscles.

Thursday, July 5th

Walked about 3 miles

The bad thing is, I can't even tell how my weight is coming along because it's either a combination of the pump meds and the heat, or just the humidity, but I'm retaining so much water. I really think it's the meds because I'll swell at times but nothing like this. My feet/ankles/lower calves are just huge. They remind me of the cartoons, when the characters will blow up their hand with their thumbs and they look like balloons. That's what my feet look like. I got home after being gone all day today and just laid on the couch with my feet up on a bunch of pillows and blankets. Now I need to get to bed because it's 3:30 and 7:00am will come mighty early tomorrow because we're going walking then. I didn't get home until 8pm tonight. I haven't gotten home earlier than that at all this week so I haven't had a chance to start lifting weights. I'm just glad to get the walking in, it feels great. It makes me feel alive, like I'm accomplishing something.
  #159   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 07:09

BF:

I'm so happy for you.
  #160   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 21:43
I KNOW I CAN!!!

BF:

Thank you so much, Debbie. I appreciate it. It sure does help, emotionally and mentally. Imagine that?? WHY didn't you tell me that?? All this time you telling me it would help, and I did believe you, go figure But it does feel good and I am already looking forward to it.

Friday

a total of 4 miles. I walked 2.5 this morning with my family and I walked down to the lake and back again, and WHEW, I'm exhausted. I didn't sleep last night, not one wink, and now I can't keep my eyes open. So I'm off. Tomorrow, 7:30am, I'll be adding t my gym log again, we're all meeting to go working. It feels good
  #161   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 09:15
I KNOW I CAN!!!

BF:

2.5 miles so far this morning. I'm sure there will be more because I'm going to the lake and the walk to the dock is about 3/4 of a mile. Yesterday, Shiloh and I walked there and back. I was tired but I made it, Shiloh on the other hand. About 1/2 home, he kept getting distracted and not walking with me very well. I picked him up and carried him as he was exhausted. He slept great yesterday. I've been wearing him out lately.

Monday, DD goes back to her dad's and this week "SHOULD" be less hectic. Last week was just so crazy with helping my niece get her dog and taking her shopping for it and grooming it and all. This week shouldn't be that crazy. So I'll start lifting weights this week for sure.
  #162   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 11:10

BF:

This is a much better plan for your nephew. Lisa posted it to Ms.T. I will just leave it un-quoted so it's easier to read.

Orginally posted by Dane/Lisa:
Here's the program I put my DH on--he is also a newbie. We started him on just 2 days a week. Maybe you might like to try it? After 2 weeks it could be modified to 3 times a week.

5' warmup on the stationary bike, just enough to get the blood flowing.

5' dynamic stretching warmup...I'll get you some links for that.

Then
Squats, 3 sets of 5-8 reps, using just enough weight that you could ave done another, but not.
Rest 1 minute between sets.
Romanian Deadlifts, 3 sets of 5-8 reps, 1 minute rest
Bench Press, 3 sets of 5-8, 1 minute rest
Bent Over (Barbell) Row, 3 sets of 5-8, 1 minute rest

These exercises can be done with the barbell or dumbbells.
That's it!

Then a few days later, Workout #2:
5' on the bike, 5' dynamic stretching
Front Squats, 3 sets of 5-8/1' rest
Deadlift, 3 sets of 5-8/1' rest
Overhead Press, 3 sets of 5-8/1' rest
Chinups (assisted if needed), 3 sets of 5-8/1' rest
(Again, you can use dumbbells for these if you want)
Can follow the workout with 15 minutes of cardio if desired.

Don't be intimidated by the exercises---look them up on exrx.net, and try to focus on form, rather than on the amount of weight you use. Expect to use light weights with these, but try to challenge yourself. After you get comfortable with the exercises, and can complete 8 reps with ease, it's time to move up the weight.

I should add that your diet is 80% key for success, so be sure you got that straight,