Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-07, 16:15

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 218/205.4/158 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Any Curves Members Here?

I joined Curves on November 7, and have been really pleased with my local Club, and overall experience. I'm guessing there might be other Curves members here on the forum.

Are you in on the "Nothing to Lose" challenge? Has your club moved to Curves Smart equipment yet? If there are other people around here following a low carb plan, AND Curves for exercise, let's get together for motivation and sharing!

DG
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-07, 16:28

Plan: atkins (modified)
Stats: 498/436/300 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 31%

I wanted to try curves and even went in for the walk through visit, i decided against it for now as the equipment was so small i thought i might break something lol, il wait til i lose more weight
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-07, 00:21

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am a Curves member. I get the best results when I stick with the program. I have been a Curves member for atleast 3 years. But for the most of that time, I have blown off regular attendance. When I do the right thing, it shows. I also walk on the off days so that my body remains active. I am losing more weight in itsy bitsy increments but nevertheless, I am losing. I hope to lose ten lbs for the year of 2007. I hope to lose ten more lbs next year.Not only am I on Atkins, I am also on IF ( intermittent fasting ) and it works well together. It has taken some time to adapt to intermittent fasting but I can now say that I enjoy a low carb /IF lifestyle. I workout regularly at Curves and I incorporate walking anywhere for 10 minutes to 1 hour per session.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 10:01

BF:

Hi Nae and Black - thanks for your replies. Nae, the the trainer at Curves who showed you around express any concerns? One of the women who I run into quite a bit at the Curves I go to has lost 170 pounds since she joined a few years ago. She is an amazing success story. I'm not sure what she weighs now, but she still has a bit more to go - she say about 50 pounds. Best wishes to you!

Black, LOL - if just having a membership to a health club did the trick I'd be one healthy woman over the years! Just teasing - trust me I know how easy it is to slack off. Does your club have the Curves Smart system implements on all the machines yet? My club is just getting ready to install the equipment. They've got it in house and staff training begins this week. Hopefully by next week we will be able to starting getting set up as members. I keep hearing really good things about the new equipment and how it help improve workout effectiveness.

I've only been going to Curves 3 days a week, with a day of rest from strength training in between. My understanding is that you can do the circuit 5 or 6 times per week, but need to stay below the "strength training threshold" on the aerobic only days. I wasn't 100% sure how to do that. But I guess with the new equipment it "knows" if you are there two days in a row, and adjusts the recommended intensity levels accordingly? That would sure make me feel more comfortable that I'm not over doing it on the "off" days.

Anyway, just interested in people's experience and results!!

DG
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 15:56

Plan: atkins (modified)
Stats: 498/436/300 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 31%

No they didnt express any concerns at all, but then they only had 4 machines to work on and they all looked so tiny, its a small town one though
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-07, 16:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nae
No they didnt express any concerns at all, but then they only had 4 machines to work on and they all looked so tiny, its a small town one though

Only 4 machines??? There are 14 on the full circuit...that seems odd. No wonder you didn't sign right up!

DG
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 23:06

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl2
Hi Nae and Black - thanks for your replies. Nae, the the trainer at Curves who showed you around express any concerns? One of the women who I run into quite a bit at the Curves I go to has lost 170 pounds since she joined a few years ago. She is an amazing success story. I'm not sure what she weighs now, but she still has a bit more to go - she say about 50 pounds. Best wishes to you!

Black, LOL - if just having a membership to a health club did the trick I'd be one healthy woman over the years! Just teasing - trust me I know how easy it is to slack off. Does your club have the Curves Smart system implements on all the machines yet? My club is just getting ready to install the equipment. They've got it in house and staff training begins this week. Hopefully by next week we will be able to starting getting set up as members. I keep hearing really good things about the new equipment and how it help improve workout effectiveness.

I've only been going to Curves 3 days a week, with a day of rest from strength training in between. My understanding is that you can do the circuit 5 or 6 times per week, but need to stay below the "strength training threshold" on the aerobic only days. I wasn't 100% sure how to do that. But I guess with the new equipment it "knows" if you are there two days in a row, and adjusts the recommended intensity levels accordingly? That would sure make me feel more comfortable that I'm not over doing it on the "off" days.

Anyway, just interested in people's experience and results!!

DG

Our machines don't have the Smart System implements. I have never heard of them. But, our Curves has so many machines. When I first joined you had to td the curcuit 3 times to be there for 30 minutes. Now they have added so much stuff that you have to do the circuit only twice to be there for 1/2 hour.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 08:25

Plan: Atkins/Southbeach
Stats: 315/225/200 Male 73
BF:17.6%
Progress: 78%

I hope you girls don't mind me posting. I'm not a Curve member nor a girl, but I believe in the Curve system.

My gym has a circuit room just like Curves and I used to think it was just for girls and that I couldn't get much of a workout, until I did it with my wife a few weeks ago and now I'm hooked. If you do it right for 30min with no cheating or skipping, you will get a great workout. I did some research on circuit training and the benefits as it compares to weight training alone, and you can actually gain quite a bit of strength and your results will compare favorably to weight training alone with the benefit of the cardio.

I've been going 3 days a week to our circuit room and the last two weeks I've dropped 3 lbs where previously with weight training and diet I was losing about a pound and a half a week.

Plus, circuit training is something anyone can start no matter what fitness level you are, and do your own pace. And the Curves concept may give women the confidence to get started in a program and at a place where there's not a lot of "Barbie's" walking around. It's a great concept. It works.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 09:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247/166/135 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I was a member of Curves for 2 years and it was great. I lost weight and felt good, but got a little bored after 2 years. I just switched to a gym that has the same circuit as curves but also has classes and cardio machines. Good luck with Curves. It is a great program.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 09:12

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 252/239/150 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

I am in the middle of my first week of Phase II. But since starting curves last week (going three x's per week) my weight loss has stalled at about 8-9 lbs. Is this just building of muscle and I'll start seeing weightloss again soon? Is anybody else experiencing this?
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 13:12

Plan: meat 'n water
Stats: 221/181/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:
Progress: 56%

I am a fairly new member of Curves (coming up on my first month weigh-in).
I don't think I've lost much in lbs.
Actually after the initial free 3 weeks, I was up 6 lbs.

However, I had gotten a brand-new bra when I joined and the band is loose. Everythings just firmer. Also, mentally I feel good when I've gone and done the right thing.

I've heard differing opinions asto whether or not it affects weight loss on LC--Any input?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 13:26

Plan: south beach
Stats: 338/288/199 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

I did Curves for 4 months with a friend. Found it a bit pricey for what it was and didnt notice anything huge in my weight loss.

Still a great place, nice to talk to the other women, most are really friendly. I'm not much for gyms, I'd rather work out at home and go for walks.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 17:15

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've been a member of Curves for a year but I haven't been able to use it for a while because of a knee impact injury. Since we are foster parents, we are getting a free family membership to our local rec center and I'm going to discontinue my Curves membership. I like it just fine since it's close and winters around here are terrible. But I don't use it much when the weather is nice. Cheers!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-08, 10:23

Plan: Lowcarb/IF
Stats: 215/173.9/150 Female 5.5"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I was briefly a member of Curves, but all the locations near me (and I was in a large metropolitan area) played only Christian music during the workout, which was bothersome to me because I am not Christian and I felt a bit preached at. I considered the possibility that all the local franchises were owned by one person who just felt really strongly about their beliefs, but then I looked into the backstory of the founder. I'll leave it at that. This was a few years ago and maybe things have changed, and in any case this probably wouldn't bother people who are Christians. YMMV.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 08:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/HFLC
Stats: 165/118/113 Female 62"
BF:Yes
Progress: 90%

I used to be a member of Curves and they played all sorts of music - oldies, country, pop, etc. I never even noticed any specific Christian music...I quit because the hours just didn't work for me. I joined a similar (but different-LOL) women's gym in January that has the same type of machines, etc., but (and this is HUGE) they have 24/7 access via a keypad with a code for entrance during the off-hours. They have panic buttons on the wall and that you can clip to your belt so that you're never truly alone as far as if you need emergency assistance (ambulance, police, etc). I go between 6:15-6:30 morning every weekday, there's usually nobody else there, I get my workout in, get out by 7:00 or so, to work by 8:00 and it's over and done with for the day. If I had to wait 'til after work it just wouldn't happen (obviously, since I haven't exercised in a LONG time...).

I stumbled across this thread while I was trying to find a way to maximize my workout, if anybody has any ideas, feel free to let me know!

'Moo