Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 14:52

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default numbers changing

I know these numbers aren't considered bad but I am wondering if my thyroid is what is making my trigs and LDL become elevated. My TPO antibodies have gone from 84 to 301 in the past year (anything over 40 was considered too high and was how I was diagnosed with Hasimoto's initially.)

Total - 257
LDL - 137
HDL - 105
Trigs. - 94

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by aeroangie : Wed, Jun-16-10 at 12:33.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 15:02
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Your HDL is insanely high, that's really good!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 15:07

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
I know these numbers aren't considered bad but I am wondering if my thyroid is what is making my trigs and LDL become elevated. My TPO antibodies have gone from 84 to 301 in the past year (anything over 40 was considered too high and was how I was diagnosed with Hasimoto's initially.

Total - 257
LDL - 137
HDL - 105
Trigs. - 94

Thanks for any input.

While it is nice to chat about these things, it seems more appropriate for you to discuss this with your doctor who presumably has far more information about your medical situation than any Internet amateurs.

Last edited by bobiam : Tue, Jun-15-10 at 15:31.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 15:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
While it is nice to chat about these things, it seems more appropriate for you to discuss this with your doctor who presumably has far more information about your medical situation than any Internet amateurs.

I wish this were the truth Bob but unfortunately, I have had to educate myself on both cholesterol and thyroid conditions. I'd trust many longtime forum members before I'd hand my health over to any doctor here around SOBX!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 16:12

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
I wish this were the truth Bob but unfortunately, I have had to educate myself on both cholesterol and thyroid conditions. I'd trust many longtime forum members before I'd hand my health over to any doctor here around SOBX!

Amen, sister! Does it make sense to trust a person who has scheduled your life and death discussion in 15-minute increments?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 19:09

BF:

Especially since they would probably advise me to lower my HDL in order to lower my total cholesterol number!!! I should maybe get advice about this on the thyroid forum since I know the thyroid problem can make my numbers get wacked. I don't think they are yet. I might also go back to trackyourplaque and see what Dr. Davis thinks of my numbers. He wanted me to "push on the T3" and I have been but it looks like I need to up it even more!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 19:52

BF:

So, are you on thyroid meds?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-15-10, 20:15

BF:

Yes - I have been on Cytomel for the past 6 months 3x a day. Before this, my endo would only prescribe Synthroid until I complained loudly enough about all the Hashi's hypo symptoms. She reluctantly agreed to try the T3 only, and I have felt much better, but worry a little because as the disease progresses, my numbers are changing a little bit.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 00:13

BF:

Nancylc - can you help with this equation?

LDL = TC/1.19 + TG/1.9 - HDL/1.1 - 38

Total - 257
LDL - 137
HDL - 105
Trigs. - 94

257 / 1.19 = 215
94/1.9 = 49
105 / 1.1 = 95

Then what? I am lost. Where do you subtract 38? THANKS!

***Had to add - below are my numbers from February. I guess the only number I should worry about that has increased a little are the trigs. since the HDL has climbed 31 points. Guess I have no problem building HDL but need to lower trigs.

Chol,, total 222 100 - 199
> TG 73 0 - 149
> HDL 74 over 39
> LDL calc 134 0 - 99
> VLDL Calc 15 5 - 40

Last edited by aeroangie : Wed, Jun-16-10 at 00:26.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 08:54

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

If your doctor is not providng you an acceptable level of care, maybe it is time for a new doctor.

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but around here the "pack them in as deep as they can fit in the waiting room" approach has been mostly gone for quite some time.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 09:32
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Nancylc - can you help with this equation?

LDL = TC/1.19 + TG/1.9 - HDL/1.1 - 38

I don't carry the Friedewald equation around in my head. But easy enough to google.

Any idea why your Trigs are going up?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 11:07

BF:

From reading on the thyroid board over at Stop The Thyroid Madness, it is related to my thyroid gland that is under constant attack. They suggested I try to get my thyroid meds increased and also to take 200 mcg of Selenium to slow the autoimmune activity against my thyroid down. My trigs have never been high but I have also noticed a slight increase in my blood pressure. Both of these can be undertreated thyroid.

Bob - I have been to two endos, two OB/GYN's and two GP's in my area. Life on an island has it's drawbacks and it appears I am going to have to drive several hours to Durham, NC to find a doctor that understands Hashimoto's. Autoimmune diseases and the silent effects are not understood by mainstream doctors....even endos obviously.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 11:28

BF:

Oh yeah Nancy....I guess one fairly easy explanation is that I have lost 14 pounds in recent months. Wonder how long trigs are elevated after weight loss? I am still trying to lose 5 more but have been trying to do this slowly and just let nature take its course.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 11:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
If your doctor is not providng you an acceptable level of care, maybe it is time for a new doctor.

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but around here the "pack them in as deep as they can fit in the waiting room" approach has been mostly gone for quite some time.

You might get special treatment because of your relatively high weight putting you in a high risk category and your willingness to work on losing it. Around here, my docs, even the good ones, say "you're young, you run long distances, get out of my office." Nuances of health and metabolism are not really compelling to them. Being one hundred pounds overweight is the norm so they don't see it as a clinical issue. Also, docs are disappearing...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 12:27

BF:

Bob still obviously has faith in doctors and maybe he has some good ones where he lives. If I hadn't figured out what was going on myself and ASKED for appropriate blood tests, I'd still be undiagnosed hypothyroid - cold, fat, tired and probably taking antidepressants by now. Also, if I hadn't done all the research for my husband, he'd be believing he was "a heart attack waiting to happen" and would be taking statins and plavix. I have lost almost all faith in doctors around here and realize I have to advocate for myself unless I choose to believe in things like the lipid hypothesis and then succumb the the pressure of big pharma. Many of us are here to learn how NOT to do this.