Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 18:30

Plan: protein power, atkins
Stats: 137/128/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default new to pp, need advice re excercise

hi, i've been on pp now for about 2 weeks and lost appox. 4 lbs. while i am pleased with the weight loss and truly enjoy this way of eating, i have considerably less energy and the most difficult time jogging!
i've been jogging for some 20 years and usually do 4 mile run 3 times a week, but things have gotten so bad tthis morning, that i just gave up after the first mile and walked fast instead.
i use fit day and typically consume 1300-1400 cals, 30-40 grams carbs, 10 grams fiber, 100 grams protein, 90 -100 grams fat, drink a gallon water and take a multivatimin, and an extra K/Mg supplement.
any advise on how i can raise my energy level and continue with my regular exercise?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there - I went through this on my bicycle with Atkins. I can't remember how long it took me - a month or two maybe until it all felt pretty normal? I've been popping into and out of ketosis for three years now, and I barely notice the difference anymore when I ride.

Your energy WILL come back as your body learns to use fat for energy - so please don't panic!

Oh, and look into glutamine and fish oil supplementation. I take 6g fish oil (1 g capsules) and 15g glutamine (powder) daily: 5g empty in AM, 5g mid day or post exercise, and 5g empty at bedtime. Really helps with muscle regeneration. Fish oil (omega 3) helps a lot of things, one of them is helping your body release fat (don't know how...beyond this point there be dragons..)
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 19:22

Plan: protein power, atkins
Stats: 137/128/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

thanks, built.
i'll look into these (more?) supplements. i've been in ketosis a few times during the last couple of weeks and my energy level is quite ok for "brain work", but anything physical is so ridiculously difficult!
i thought of doing atkins, but 20 grams of carbs wouldn't work for me - i love vegetables and large, large salads, i find pp a little rest restrictive.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 19:47

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Use the exercise area of the forum

Go down to the Exercise area of the forums. There are many people doing Body For Life and BodyRX while maintaining low carb eating. (In general, these weight training programs allow more carbs than a low carb plan.) They've struggled with the same energy issues, so there's probably plenty of ideas hiding there already. Poke around some more! :-)

-- Loretta
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 19:54

Plan: Atkins since sept 22/02
Stats: 205/165/150 Female 5'8
BF:32/28/22
Progress: 73%
Talking energy

Hi, foodie, your energy will be back very soon. About 3 weeks or so to really get used to LC Good luck

PS Hi Built, BTW, what is metabolic surge? Thanks, Nancy (another one!)
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Go to my gym log. I've posted some information on Metabolic Surge - it's a cutting programme, so it integrates diet and training for a 36 or 42 day cut in three cycles. Go to my gym log for more on it, or click here
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 05:03

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Great advice here! I find I can't add a thing.