Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-01-04, 21:19

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default yoghurt?

I really like both PP and Four Corners/GO, but I'm a bit conflicted about something. I'd really love to believe that yoghurt is as LC as GO reports, but I'm afraid I'm still skeptical. I've tested blood glucose after eating it and seen no big rise at some times, and a bit of a rise at others. I'm wondering what the PP forum members have found when they've eaten yoghurt regularly, and whether any of you believe the "4 net carbs per cup" count.

I've been following PP very strictly for the past few days, and feel great about it. Surprises me just how tricky it can be at times to get enough protein at one meal. Even harder has been to get my teenaged son to eat his full 40 grams per meal. I suspect we're going to have to move to grazing...

Thanks for your feedback on the yoghurt -- I'm really feeling confused about it. Still plan to keep eating it, but it would be nice to be able to count the carbs as less than 12 grams per cup.

Lene'
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 05:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, there! I don't eat yogurt regularly, but for no particular reason. I don't believe the 4 grams per cup, though. Check in on the daily Java Room thread (or just wait -- they'll probably all put their cups of java down momentarily to come out and answer your question!). A lot of the ladies there eat yogurt regularly and have no problems with it.

Also, I've never had trouble getting enough protein in during a meal. My minimum protein requirement is 34 grams per meal, which works out to be approximately 5 ounces of meat. That ain't much. Remember, there are about 7 GRAMS of protein in 1 OUNCE of protein.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-02-04, 07:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Lene-I also am very skeptical about the "yogurt exception" that some people believe in. While losing weight, I ate a lot of yogurt, but always counted all the carbs on the container toward my daily total. That way, I figured, I was keeping track of the maximum amount of carbs I was consuming. If there was actually less, great, but I wasn't relying on it. Now that I have been focusing on maintaining, I have substituted yogurt for some higher carb fruits and whole grains. If I am going to have dairy, I prefer cottage cheese (several times per day!!) or moderate fat cheeses (mozzarella, 2% colby). It's interesting that you say that sometimes the yogurt causes a spike in your blood sugar and sometimes it doesn't. I wonder if it has something to do with what else you ate the yogurt with at the time. Maybe yogurt alone causes a spike, but when consumed with some protein and fat in a meal, it doesn't have the same effect? If you can replicate the instances where you don't get a spike, then I'd say that you should it in that circumstance and avoid the others. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 08:53

BF:

Thanks for your replies -- I'm going to try doing some testing on the yoghurt issue, see what kinds of glucose responses I get when I eat it in combination with various other foods. But to be safe, I'll probably just count all the carbs listed on the label. <g>

The funny thing about the protein is that for one meal, it seems like a reasonable amount. It's just when looked at as an all-day thing that it becomes more of a problem, especially for my son. He's a big guy, and not a delicate flower with no appetite, but he can't eat the amount needed for 3 meals a day. His "goal for protein" is supposed to be 40 grams per meal, which works out to 6 eggs (he looked at me like I was nuts when I tried to tell him that) or about 6 oz. meat. He could do this for one meal (well, not the 6 egg omelet -- he'd fight me on that one) but if he did eat a meal that included, say, 3 of the chicken sausages we cooked out on the grill (they are 2 oz. each) *plus* veggies, he'd be stuffed and wouldn't want to eat another similarly-sized meal again in a few hours.

I know the amounts don't seem all that large, but I suspect the problem is that we don't have large enough appetites. I know how weird that sounds considering my size, but it's true. <g> If I eat one good-sized meal, I have to *force* myself to eat 2 more later in the day, and would really prefer to just skip lunch entirely (maybe have a cup of hot tea) and then have a very small supper.

I'm trying to work this program the way it is written, though. I think if I try just making a whey protein shake for lunch (packs in a lot of protein but a big glass feels less filling than food) then I can have another real meal for supper. This may work for my son as well.

Sorry, kinda working this out in my mind while typing. <g>

Thanks for your advice on the yoghurt and on the protein -- I appreciate it!

Lene'
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 11:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You can buy low carb yogurt nowadays. I like Greek Yogurt, which I buy at Trader Joe's. Only 8 carbs per cup.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-03-04, 11:50

BF:

I'm dying to try the Greek yoghurt, but we don't have a TJ, or any store nearby that I know of selling this kind of yoghurt. I did catch the thread in which a technique was described for making a pseudo-Greek-style yoghurt, and I'm gonna try it tonight, will taste test it tomorrow. It really does sound yummy.

The whey protein shake worked well for Danny for breakfast. Not overly filling, but lots of protein. Later I'll be making him a snack using yoghurt, walnuts, a few berries, some DaVinci syrup. He'll like that, and it will give him protein without feeling as filling as meat. Then he may still have room for his full amount of chicken at supper.

Thanks for the reminder as far as the Greek-style stuff. I 've heard so many raves, hope to someday be able to get the real thing.

Lene'