Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 12:19

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 202/200/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default PCOS and PP

I went to the doctor today. About 2 weeks ago I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which, to keep it short and sweet, means that my body is insulin resistant... I have been on the Atkins plan since, followed it religiously - even exercised for the first time in like 3 years! But still only lost 2 lbs (which is probably water weight). I discussed options with my doctor at my appointment this morning and she said that perhaps I should think of other low carb options... perhaps Atkins just isnt the one for me. But I am not sure where else to turn. I was wondering if anyone out there has PCOS and if they do, has this plan seemed to lessen the symptoms?

Thanks,
Jen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 15:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Jen-I do not have PCOS and am not really familiar with how Protein Power would affect it. In my limited understanding, I think any form of low carb diet is recommended. Have you checked out the Forum entitled "PCOS". It looks like there is a lot of good links and information there.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 15:54

Plan: fat, fat, fat
Stats: 225/212/160 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Jen, I do have PCO, and although I still have many of the symptoms even with LC, some of them are better now. My skin is clear, and my periods are more regular, although not clockwork. <g> I'm in my 40's and have had the PCO symptoms for many years now, so some of them will likely never "go away," unfortunately. (The very thin hair is one that is, I fear, with me forever.)

Two things -- low carb does get much easier the longer you do it. I find I no longer have to deal with cravings, for the most part, and I am much less reliant on LC substitutes for higher carb foods, like LC bread or ice cream. Not that I *never* use these things; I just found that after a while I was perfectly happy with veggies, protein, fat, a little fruit, etc., and feel less desire for other stuff. Second thing -- if you keep at Atkins for a while and still find it doesn't seem like a good fit, try one of the other LC plans. PP is a really good one, as is the Four Corners diet (also known as the GO diet.) Really, any LC diet that emphasizes plenty of good protein, good fat, lots of LC veggies, a little fruit (esp. berries and melon) and a decent amount of fiber will be very good for you.

BTW, if you lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks, that is something to be pleased about. <g> Remember, you also started exercising, so may well be holding on to a little more water because of that, maybe building a little muscle... who knows? If you know you've made positive changes for your health as far as improving your diet, getting more physical activity in, seeing a dr. about the hormonal issues, etc., hold onto all those things and be proud of yourself for *any* loss. (Yeah, I know -- easier said than done when all around you it seems like other people are dropping 30 pounds a week. <sigh> I've been there, too.)

Good luck to you!

Lene'
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 11:42

Plan: Syndrome X - Atkins
Stats: 201/193.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:36/32/21
Progress: 12%
Default Pcos

Hi Jen,

I was diagnosed 13 years ago and was told that it was rare and docs did not know much about it. Put on Provera and told I'd probably never conceive. This is all before IR was known. Since then, I conceived and gave birth (27 wks gestation) to what is now a very healthy 12 yo. I was diagnosed with IR in 2002 and put myself on a very restrictive Syndrome X diet. Very high protein, almost non-existant carbs. It worked and much of the PCOS/IR symptoms reduced. I have modified the diet to meet my need, and those of my family, but still very low carb. Had I known 12 years ago what I know now about diet (I was a vegan) I would not have had to have a hysterectomy 9 years ago and I would have been able to9 conceive more than one child. LC diet has been my salvation, lowered my cholesterol and risk for heart disease, lowered my chances or full-blown diabetes (hereditary), hirsutism has decreased, depression has been almost eliminated, and I have energy that I haven't had since I was 21! Try Adkins, if it isn't fast enough, try Syndrome X. It really worked for me and continues to work.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-05-04, 16:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was not diagnosed, but I'm 99% sure I have (had?) PCOS. My symptoms have gotten much better. My acne is under control for the first time in my life, and other symptoms (PMS, etc) are few to none.

I think you're doing fine so far. It's only been two weeks. You really have to give your body two or three cycles before you'll notice those hormones being set straight.

The Protein Power books are my favorites, and I encourage you to read them if you like reading, but otherwise, you're probably fine on Atkins.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-08-04, 22:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/215/140 Female 67 inches
BF:47.4/46.2%/20%
Progress: 38%

I was diagnosed with PCOS. Along with that I developed high blood pressure, diabetes, hypothyroidism, high triglycerides, high cholesterol....my new doctor has diagnosed me with Syndome X which pretty much sums up all of this that I was previously diagnosed with.

I am not as low carb as I probably should be, but I can tell a huge difference in many of my PCOS symptoms. I have had several cycles in a row after not having one single one for four years.

I am going to check out the Syndrome X diet someone mentioned above, but I agree when folks say that as long as it is truly lo carb, it will probably help you a bunch.

Take Care.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 07:46

Talking Syndrome X

The diets in the Syndrome X book are tough, but I lost big time! And my symptoms lessoned. I too had the cholesterol, insulin resistance, hypertension, yada, yada, yada...

I am going back because Adkins is not limiting enough for me. SX removes almost all carbs with the exception of vegetables (greens). Good luck, buy the book, do the vitamins, and the diet, consult with the doc.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-04, 12:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 257/192.6/175 Male 72 inches
BF:35%/24.6%/18%
Progress: 79%

My wife has PCOS, and is doing PP right now. She has lost about 42 pounds so far. She has most of the stereotypical symptoms, and has not been able to conceive without the help of clomid (which worked twice for us, both times resulting in twins, which was just fine with us!; we would love to have more and are hoping that LC will help us).

I will have to tell her about the Syndrome X diet. I'm sure she'll be interested!

Aaron
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 20:39

Good luck to you and the wife. SOunds like you have already been blessed. We have a 12 yo and had to have a hysterectomy when she was 3. So, no more for us. We are getting older so we probably won't adopt now. I am just fortunate enough to have been able to have the one I have now. The Syndrome X is tough, but it works!