Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 09:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Spreading Carb Consumption Out...

It sounds like in Protein Power that one of the important techniques is to make sure you spread your carbs out over the course of your daily meals so that you are making sure to keep the absorbtion of food slow and steady over the course of the day and thereby avoiding insulin spikes. It this correct? If so what ideas do you have to make sure that you eat this way and can you expand on the importance of this idea? I think this idea is an important contribution to this WOE in general!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 09:20
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

I tend to just stick to the rule of dividing by 3. I usually get around 7-10g net carbs per meal, or at least that is my goal, as I'm sure there are meals these days I go over, but I tend to keep those numbers in mind.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 09:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Yes, in Protein Power, it is advised to spread carbs throughout the day as much as possible. I believe that the Eades say that it is OCCASIONALLY okay to save up all your carbs for a special occasion, but that you should not do this very often. First you want to determine what your carb allowance is, and divide by how many times you plan to eat, as Kevin stated above. If you plan to eat snacks, then you have a little less with each meal. Currently I am eating around 55-60g carbs (Intervention level II), so I aim for no more than 20g carbs in any one meal. I have found that if I have too few in a meal (say, less than 10), I feel less than optimal. So finding the right balance has been important for me. I track my carbs using Fitday.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 09:36
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

If I goof up.. yes me.. I tend to eat more carbs like at dinner, and then it spikes my blood glucose levels up the next day.. I end up with whats called the dawn phenomena ( no joke, that is the name of it.. not named after me however!) So, what works for me is to have them spread out equally, or if I am having a 'bigger' main meal so to speak to have it more for a lunch or miday meal.

The premise behind keeping the carbs level all day for all of us is to keep the blood glucose levels even, to help curb the carb cravings and maintain balance in our system, getting out of the rollercoaster of carb highs and lows and what it does to our bodies, emotionally and physically.

As far as losing weight, I don't know if eating 40 carbs at one sitting or spreading them out makes a difference... unless those 40 are at 11pm and I go to sleep on them!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 17:34

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The first time I did PP, I stuck right to the book with dividing everything by 3. That's when I had the most success.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 23:29
~strange as angels~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/249/150 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:51%/49%/30%
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplydawn
I end up with whats called the dawn phenomena...

I don't think I've heard of this before... could you explain it to me?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 23:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's a good explanation of it

Dawn Phenomena

Karen