Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 248/212.8/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Oh go Keto yourself...A 30 day keto experiment

Hey All!

My name is PortHardy and I am a Carb and Sugar Addict.. Today will be my first day being clean in a looooooooong time.

A little bit about me: Im going to be 30 in Feb. Been obese/overweight most of my life. Struggled on many diets..tried em all i think. Nothing worked long term and i hit my breaking point in 2013 when i balooned to 320lbs after the birth of my dd in 2012. Decided enough was enough and ran to Mx and got VSG weight loss surgery. The result- went from 320 down to 220 before i began cheating the system and eating lots of bad stuff. Weight loss surgery changs your stomach size..not your brain. I was and still am a compulsive eater who craves craves crave bread products and sugar. I needed to join OA and get control of my mind. It helped. I stopped emotional eating and learned self acceptance but still craved carbs and bread.. Turns out i have a severe gluten intolerance..It makes me sick and yet my body craves it. I crave a loaf of bread..weird. Anyway.. Somtime during my OA stint, i started drinking shakes from an expensive health company and got my weight down to 220 again but then Christmas came and buh bye diet. So here i am at 238.8 and bursting out of my 16s pants.

So why keto? Well..i am an avid researcher and I have always known that i boarder the type 2 diabetic line and have insulin resistnce. I know that in less i cut out all carbs, i crave them badly and i have a haunch that i possibly have some male pattern hair growth going on which i attribute to an increase in excess hormone testosterone..So being the researcher i am..i decided to search for natural solutions to hormone imbalances and diabetic issues and discovered that many Drs advocate Keto for not only weight loss but a reduction in blood sugar, cravings,IR, gluten intolerance and whaddaya know..even a decrease in excess hormone testosterone which is caused by...IR and elevated blood sugar.

So...here i am... Now..here is the thing...Right now i am calling it the Ketp experiment. I have heard many people have great success on keto and can live life by it...but i have also successfully lost weight counting calories only..So my experiment is to determine a few things:

1) Is it sustainable ?
2) Is weight loss quicker than low cal doeting or equal to?
3) Will it slow down male pattern hair growth?
4) Will it eliminate cravings for bread?

In the next 30 days i hope to find out. So here's to 30 days of Keto(raises diet pop) Cheers!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 21:20

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi PortHardy, I wish you all the success in the world. You've got the right attitude!

I can answer 3 of your 4 questions.

1. Yes.
2. Yes. (and with very little hunger, unlike low cal)
3. No idea.
4. Yes. I used to have to avoid the bakery aisle in the market, the smells were too much, now bread smells like sawdust to me.

Suggest you read Wheat Belly Total Health by William Davis MD...this was a life-changer for me.

Hang in there, at the end of your first week you'll be saying WOW already, and at the end of your experiment month you'll be riding that horse all the way to the finish line. Yee-ha!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 21:21

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

PS: Protein Power is an excellent plan and Dr. Eades has a wealth of information on his website.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 21:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

My answers are the same as Little Me.

And, to answer your unasked question: No, you can't go back to eating bread and sugar. But you can't do that, anyway, can you?

What you can do is continue to eat in a way that is delicious, that is SATISFYING, and that will make you so healthy and full of energy that you will shock yourself.

A word of warning: the first few days can be tough. Keto flu isn't something that everyone deals with, but if you do, it's not fun. Drinking plenty of water, and getting in your salt will help.

Welcome, and welcome to a new way of life!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 05:27

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Welcome! I started with Protein Power (the original) in 1999 and lost 113 pounds... and then went to doing more of a Atkins/Ketogenic and lost the rest of my overweight. Can't tell you if it's 'sustainable'.. I've only been maintaining for 13 years.

I don't have a craving for bread anymore (serious Celiac disease and five other AU diseases), no craving for sugar/starch bread etc. UNLESS I eat something 'off plan' (and for ME, personally, that would maybe be some fruit.. might 'trigger' me.. but I don't 'rise to the call'.. why would I? This way of eating doesn't work if you aren't doing it.

As far as 'how fast it works'.. well, that depends on the individual. I felt so much better eating this way, and SO many people 'noticed' that I went back to school in my 'golden years' and became a Cert. Nutritionist.. I only teach low carb/ketogenic (I'm disabled/retired.. therefore this is a volunteer outreach to those who cannot have WLS for one reason or another...so far, out of 22, only three dropped out and didn't want to give up sugar, and 10 no longer feel they 'need' WLS.. they have a handle on it.. the rest are 'ongoing weight loss'.

I do see PCOS clients.. and this reduces insulin resistance, which can, in some cases, change hair growth/loss a bit.

I hope you stick with it.. I hope you far surpass my '13 years of sustainability'.. I'd say 'best of luck' but it's not about 'luck'.. it's about just changing how you eat.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 06:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome,
Protein Power is a good plan, and I love Dr Eades writings ( https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...w-carb-dieters/) but as Pam indicated it is not Ketogenic. Starting at 20g total carbs and restricted protein may help stop your sugar and carb cravings faster. Dr Westman says he knows when patients are in "ketosis", they are not hungry.

Many doctors add Metformin for PCOS to help with both the hair growth and IR. There are some other anti-androgens also prescribed, the pill, etc. But your first line of defense is nutrition. No sugar, no starch at all. Even at 6', probably 80g protein or less.

http://womenshealth.gov/publication...y-syndrome.html

There are some good links to Dr Fox's articles on PCOS in that forum.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=46

And lastly, my personal advice, put down that diet soda! All artificial sweeteners only fuel your taste for sweets. Much harder to do LC with that sweetness never followed by calories. Here's a more balanc d view, but I am firmly on the side that they cause cravings for sweet. http://authoritynutrition.com/artif...nd-weight-gain/

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-07-16 at 06:58.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 13:11
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice and warm welcome.. I have made it to Day 2 successfully.. Kept my Net carb count to 12 yesterday..focussed on eating protein.

Protein power plan is not Ketosis? Oh...thats weird...i totally thought it did induce ketosis.. hmm..going to have to do some reading.

Yes..i was on Metformin in the past...unfortunately it caused severe GI upset..so they switched me to glucophage...but that too caused some gi upset...so not sure as far as another alternative.

Yes i find if i drink diet coke or any diet dark cola..i crave more..but if i drink diet gingerale i dont..its like he bitterness of the ginger counteracts the sweet taste and just tastes more bittery gingery..

Onto Day 2 today...I did get a good size headache yesterday but tried some homemade bone broth with lots of salt and that helped.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 13:49

A bit of semantics, both a VLC like PP and a ketogenic would get you to the health improvements you seek.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/0...-ketogenic.html
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 00:52
Registered Member

BF:

Wow !! Good article...totally puts things in perspective..Guess im not keto experimenting...im low carb experimenting lol
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 14:53
Registered Member

BF:

Well day 3 here on this experiment.. Have kept my net carbs way below 20 and i have not lost a single pound according to the scale. Now naturally at this point i would say screw it and quit but since i commited to 30 days...i have 27 to go..

Hard to believe that i havent lost a single pound.. I mean...im eating around 1200 cals and averaging 12 net carbs a day and eating protein at every meal that is lean and have not touched a lick of sugar or fruit or gluten of any kind...no low carb frankenfoods either...and nothing!! nada! zip!

I wonder if i need to measure my progress by a pair of pants instead??
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 15:36

Stats: 246/185/185 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

3 days is not long enough, my friend. You have to put your body into a state of ketosis (burning fat for energy instead of glucose). You'll reach that if you are careful about what you eat at about the 4 or 5 days, then you'll start to lose weight.

Take it seriously and get yourself a ketone blood test meter and use it:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/a-new-toy...g-blood-ketones

I tested mine this morning and I'm at 1.3

At your weight, you should lose about 6 pounds the first two weeks. Stop weighing yourself every day. You're in this for life if you want to improve your health, weigh yourself once a week and even after you lose the weight, you will continue this way of eating because it is natural and healthy.

It's going to be the hardest the first two or three weeks, you'll get headaches and feel fatigued. Since you describe yourself as a carb and sugar addict you'll probably feel like crap until you rid your body of all that junk and overcome your cravings and need for sugar and junk carbs. Once you do, you'll feel a lot better and you won't crave sugar or carbs anymore.

Stop counting calories. Calories don't matter. Eat all the calories and fat you want but limit the carbs to 20 a day and make them good carbs. Salad for example. (make sure you use a no sugar, no carb dressing). You do that and you will loose weight, you will break your addiction, you will improve your health and you will never feel hungry again. Ever.

But you have to make it through these first few weeks. And you have to be strict and vigilant, there's no cheating on Atkins.

Good luck.

I'm in my fourth month and lost 28 pounds.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 15:54

Agree with what James wrote except for the blood ketone meter. Not necessary, if you are in ketosis, you are not hungry and have lost cravings. None of the three ways to measure ketosis are that helpful And they are expensive.

Would add that you have some serious health issues and sometimes your body needs to heal first. Everyone's path will be different and you have a long journey ahead, learn why this way of eating is healthy for you, reverse your IR and improve pcos. Don't worry about the scale...we are 65 % water and there is a 4-5 pound "grey zone" of water weight that can change for no reason. Using "pants" instead of a scale seems a good idea for you.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-08-16 at 16:00.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 16:04

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

...OTOH, if you want to weigh every day, go ahead. Just keep in mind that even during periods of active losing, your weight will go up and down, day by day.

What many find, once the health issues start to heal, is that there will be a period of no loss, followed by a 1 or 2 pound drop. Then the weight fluctuates back and forth ABOVE that low weight. Eventually, it finds a new, lower low, and then fluctuates, all over again, just a little lower.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-16, 05:31

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Not to 'discourage' you.. but 'net carbs' didn't and doesn't 'work' for me. I'm THAT insulin resistant. So far, it hasn't worked for 16 out of 23 of my clients (the 15 that are female..and one lady who's only 40 pounds from goal now, having lost over 113 pounds).

So.. I got used to using 'gross carb count' because I could eat SO MANY veggies and try and 'trick it down to subtracting fiber' (which you don't need if you're getting enough fat IMHO).. and I would get into ketosis..but diet pop would then bring on cravings.. net carbs doesn't work for everyone.

I lost BIG the first two weeks (because I was big).. but during my two years of losing my overweight.. well.. it was an 'up and down' deal.. but I will tell you one thing.. EVERY TIME I hit a stall (and a 'stall' with LC is a full six weeks with NO change on scale OR change in losing inches.. so start measuring if you haven't, and sorry if I missed where you said) if I dropped dairy for a week or so, my loss would start back up. Seems the hormones in dairy just kind of stalled me out. It doesn't now at goal.

I think you have your head on straight and will do VERY well.. just don't try and rush it.. enjoy your progress.. after all.. if you slow and enjoy the ride.. you'll stay on the tracks.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-09-16, 09:10

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:

Who is it here that says?
Consistency + Time = Success

I've been keto for over 1.5 years now and have lost 102lb.
Gained a few back over the holidays...due to stress-eating and a holiday carb-cheat. But it's going back down.
Sometimes I have lost fast. And then you get a period where your body does a lot of healing and rearranging and you will lose inches, but no weight. My record stall was 3 months. But I lost a size in clothing during that time.

Consistency
Persistence
Time

And during times where the scale was not cooperating, I looked at that as an opportunity to practice good healthy habits and "maintenance." Cementing these skills makes it more likely you will keep the weight off long term. Because this is a lifestyle, not just a diet. And if you approach it that way, every day you are on-plan, you are winning.

Make sure you keep your electrolytes up. Sodium (3,000-5,000mg), potassium (try to get as close to 2,000 as you can), and magnesium (300-400mg). Your kidneys excrete more when in ketosis when you are low-carb, which mean you have less on hand to work with, thus the need to replenish them more often. Letting them get low will cause fatigue, headaches, and a feeling of being run-down. Supplementing sodium and potassium (besides in foods) is best done with table salt (or sea salt) and potassium salt (Lite Salt or NuSalt). Magnesium can be gotten from foods, but also supplemented through a pill containing either magnesium glycinate, citrate, or malate. Those are the best absorbed, though magnesium oxide works okay for some in a pinch.

Focus on:
Keeping carbs below your limit.
Keeping protein in the proper range.
Eating the rest as fat. Yummy yummy fat!
And being consistent, meal by meal, day by day.

You can ABOLUTELY change your life for the better. I realized very early on, as the benefits of weight loss and quality diet manifested themselves, that I was not LIVING before at all.

The bad news is that YOU are the only person who can improve your health and life.
The good news is that YOU, and no one else, CAN improve your health and life. You have that power.

Wishing you success.