Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 08:35

Plan: PP
Stats: 127/127/105 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Sorry - probably a repeat question

1. Can we subtract fiber? When I look up the nutrients for romaine lettuce - 20 gms carb for a large head with 13 gms of fiber - can I count one head as 7 gms of carbs?
2. Are you selective regarding where your carbs come from? If we eat 10 gms per meal - can they come from whatever we choose? I just noticed pb cookies from south beach have 7.5 per cookie and was wondering if I can have one?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 17:22
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

1) Darn right! My carb amounts are definitely "net"
2) Well yeah, ideally you should be trying to get the best "carb bang for your buck"...so I wouldn't use up those 10 per meal on sugary treats. HOWEVER, that being said, this is all about living life and enjoying yourself. So once in awhile, why not? If it'll keep you happy and on track and eating really well most of hte times, I say go for it. I know I work on full-day carbs (sometimes less at a meal, sometimes more, but the overall total for the day - like protein - is most important) and there are definitely days I have treats. It's just best to stick with veggies and fruits above all else.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 17:22

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

Yes, you can subtract fiber as it does not get digested. Be careful of pre-packaged foods such as the cookies you are talking about because they may contain hidden carbs such as sugar alcohols that can stall some people. It is best to stay with natural carbs if you are starting out as there is less chance of getting a stall on vegetables then there is on the pre-packaged stuff.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-11-07, 20:16

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Better than buying factory made deserts/treats, GET THEE down to the recipe section of this board. There are lots of scrumptious things there that have the carb, protein, and fat count per servings calaulated. NOW, you must NOT have more than ONE serving - at a time - per day - per week - per what ever keeps you from over indulging.