Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 10:37

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 183/178/165 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default feel my heart beat

Hi,

I am not sure if this is the right forum, so apologize in advance.

I have recently started feeling my heart beat in my face, legs and jaw. It comes and goes every few minutes; more pronounced during night time. I have been on LCHF for about 4 weeks now.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 10:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I'd recommend that you see a doctor; intermittent stuff like that could be a variety of things. Personally, I very much doubt that it's connected to eating low carb; you'd have noticed it before.

It's also possible that it's been going on for some time, but you were ignoring it, just as we ignore the chronic inflammation that we experience from eating gluten and too many carbs.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 11:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Please read the salt thread and see if adding more sodium to your diet fixes you up. You can get electrolyte imbalances on LC if you lose too much sodium.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 12:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

check your blood pressure, if thats the problem, the cause could be anything from stress to alcohol............... but its not going to be low carbing. Thats about as significant as the colour of your underwear lol

Jo xxx
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-15, 13:59

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

I do not think the pounding is low carb. I have this often, and I have a new heart. It's normal, but if it's racing then that is the problem.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 04:22

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I had this as well and really bad after 6 mo low carb. Night time was horrible, heart palpitations, heart racing and fluttering- it was bad, would last for hours. I was told in the forums here about NuSalt and ordered that immediately and I now sprinkle it on everything I eat. Seems my potassium had to have been way to low. I also increase salt. I have been feeling great since.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 10:18

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yes I have had racing heart etc. too, but none since I began a daily sprinkle of Salt Balance (sodium and potassium in proper balance). It doesn't take much, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp daily. I guess it's a lot like NuSalt.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 03:08

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi, I am interested in this thread.
I am bothered by my heartbeat at night, when I lie on my left side. I don't feel in any way ill but it is intrusive and stops me sleeping. This problem may be linked to low carb inasmuch as I don't remember having it before I started low carb over three years ago. But then again, it may not.
I'm a little worried about potassium salt. Can anyone tell me if there are possible side effects and what I should look out for if I start to use it. I was wondering about NuSalt. I can't find Salt Balance. Where do you get that from, Merpig?
Any input welcome.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 04:29

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I did find Salt Balance on ebay. Sometimes certain things can be hard to find here locally but ebay or amazon always seem to have what I can't find. I am going to use that as well. My heart racing didn't matter if I was actually laying down or not. However I did get myself a wrist blood pressure monitor as well so I could check that and my pulse just to make sure things were normal there. Also dehydration can cause me similar symptoms and so far drinking more water, salt, potassium and I use broth as well and symptoms disappeared. Sometimes can't hurt to see a Dr when in doubt for peace of mind. Potassium for me made a huge difference.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 04:31

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Thanks. Yes, I just found it on ebay too and bought 2 packs. I'll give it a whirl and see whether it makes any difference.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 08:25
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I recently had the racing heart experience for the first time. I took the advice and made up my Emergen C electrolyte balance and started taking it. However, I had recently added aspartame back into my diet and I'm sure that was the problem (it also gives me migraine auras). If you use AS, it could be one of those causing the problem. Stopping my aspartame ingestion stopped both my racing heart and my migraine auras.

Just a thought.
g
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 18:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulumae
I can't find Salt Balance. Where do you get that from, Merpig? Any input welcome.
Hmm, I just bought it at my local supermarket. I have not looked for it since so never occurred to me it would be hard to find.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-06-16, 20:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Lulumae: when all else fails, try Amazon.

I got most of my low carb cooking supplies there. It was easier than running all over the city looking for them.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 16:38

Plan: LCHF & Paleo
Stats: 170/150/140 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

I think adding some regular salt into a glass of water everyday helps both for heart racing and headaches. Helped me!