Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-15, 07:36
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Mornin', Kids.

Hmmmph. Blue's Blog.

Yup, I'm down this morning. My squishiness wasn't a fluke.

The painting could be considered done but I'm just not happy with some things about it. I may futz with it a bit today. At the top of the list is also reading Jimmy Moore's cookbook. It's time to get serious again and eat something different. There are a lot of interesting recipes and I know that Linda Genaw has made some already.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Later 'gators.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-15, 07:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 211.9/194.4/145 Female 67 "
BF:Good question!
Progress: 26%

Well, it was fun catching up with Blue's Blog. LOL!

No excuses about not popping in sooner, life's been busy. What can I say?

I spent last week trying to undo vacation damage, so far I have not been successful. Back up to 203!! Dern it!! I had finally gotten back under 200 only to flub it up on vacation.

My dad behaved fine, there were too many people around for him to really give me a hard time. As a matter of fact, he paid me many compliments. Not weight related ones, but I wasn't expecting any of those anyway. He wanted to take everyone out to dinner one night that didn't have other plans and I suggested Bahama Breeze. There ended up being 16 of us at that meal. (We had 25 in total show up for the family get together.) Well, the menu was awesome, the food yummy. So my dad came to where I was sitting and told me what a great restaurant choice I had made and also thanked me for working so hard to help my mom organize this great time we were having together. My mom's friend sitting next to me said that she could go ahead and die now. That her life was now complete since she actually heard that man pay me a compliment! We had a good laugh over that one, but I told her not to die just yet. We kind of like having her hang around.

All in all, a great time was had by everyone! Everyone got to do what they set out to do. Those that wanted Disney, did Disney. Those that wanted Universal, did Universal. Those that wanted rest...rested. Except for me. LOL I was being the hostess with the most-tess. OMG! Our condo became party central and the party would go on until at least midnight every night. And the next morning, we would have bright and early risers show up for coffee and breakfast. I got very little sleep the first few days. By mid-week, a good half of the total family went back home (dad included) and things settled down a bit, but the midnight parties continued. It was mostly lots of chatting, laughing, wine drinking, card and/or game playing. We had a blast. I was more tired when I got home than when I had left. Shelton doesn't know how I did it. He said I never stopped.

One day around lunch time I was soooooooooooooo tired that I couldn't even lift my head to look at the people around me and I honestly feared that I would be like a little child and just nod off to sleep with my forehead landing in my plate!!! So, I told everyone, "I am taking a nap before my head drops into my plate. I am sooooo freaking tired!" 20 minutes into my nap and my phone twirped with a text message and I was wide awake BUT amazingly refreshed. I guess a power nap was all I needed.

I think I just spent all of last week trying to recover from my vacation! LOL

As far as the weight gain and being back up to 203? I give up. I really do. I can't keep obsessing over this. I just plan on continuing to eat healthy and come what may. I am not doing any more 3 day fat fasts or anything radical. I fasted most of yesterday but only because I wasn't hungry until supper time. I'll eat when hungry and I'll eat correctly but beyond that...I'm done.

Well, for now anyway. LOL You know, I'm subject to change my mind. It's a woman's prerogative after all.
  #123   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-15, 08:12
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Dang, Kathy, you made me tired just reading all that. I have only so much socializing in me and to run like that for a week.......I'd be wiped out. Pfffffffft. Hmmmmm, so your dad was on best behavior. Hmmmmmmm. I'm glad he was but it makes me wonder. The important thing is you all had a great time, captured good memories, and partied yourselves silly. Now THAT'S a good vacation!

As for the gain......you had little sleep, you had food away from home, you had wine, and you only gained a couple of pounds. I call that SUCCESSFUL!!!!!! Geeze, I slam on 8 pounds minimum when I'm away from home and being careful. You need to reassess success.

Finished the painting, moving on to the next. I've been enjoying my porch time. The weather has been relatively mild for summer. By that I mean decent temps and tolerable humidity. I flip on the ceiling fan and that's enough for us as I catch up on DVR'd shows while I paint. The kitties are ever watchful of the varmints who populate the yard. Jim as been real estating (a new verb I use regularly). Classes start again tonight so he'll be teaching three nights weekly. I won't see him until 10:30 tonight. That gets old. No weekends, no time after work (he leaves before I get home). Hmmph. So the kitties and I will enjoy porch time. Every cloud has a silver lining.

I'm down a tad. I saw a meme that pretty much struck home with me.

'nuff said.

So with that, keep fighting the good fight. It's worth it.

Later 'gators.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 05:16

So yeah, I may have to rethink this whole "I'm not doing any more fat fasts" idea. Up another pound and a half today! What the heck??? 204.4! I have been behaving ever since I got back home a week and a half ago!! It is so not fair.
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 09:14
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Hmmmmm. I've not done a fat fast but I have hunkered down and kept my eating really plain for a few days (a la Stillman but with fat). In other words...protein and fat. That seemed to kick my metabolism into start and I didn't starve. It's where I am right now because I need the discipline. I'll get wild and crazy and eat veg later in the week.

Friday is my appointment with the rheumatologist to see what's going on with auto-immune issues. I hope we can get something fixed or headed in the right direction.

I have to start my next painting. This one is a dog who loved water and her toys and has recently passed away. I hope to do her justice.

I saw where Linda posted a bit on facebook so I know she is still with us and happy. I still don't know what happened with Lanson but am glad all seems to be well.

I love my new appliances. Just love them. The refrigerator is so user friendly now as is the stove, microwave and dishwasher. It just makes life so much easier to have new stuff. My old stuff was almost 20 years old and the bottom of the line at that. Boy howdy, when we get a new washer and dryer there just won't be keepin' me from dancin'.

I still haven't delved into Ketogenic Cookbook but I'm getting there. Maybe tonight. I'll give you reviews then.

With that happy note, I'm back to data diving.

Later 'gators.
  #126   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 18:36

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hoia mujeres

I am sticking my nose in to say hello. Glad your vacation was successful Kathy. I wish you had not needed to work so hard, and I am glad your father was nice (or relatively so). You will get back to where you were. Don't give up.

Blue, I hear you on the new appliances. It is nice to start all over. I am so so so much enjoying my new bathroom, closet and studio. It is so nice to have a bathroom that is all mine. The kids were here over the weekend and I told them it was the girl's bathroom and so they stayed away.

I finished and sent off my 2 pieces for the show in Marion Iowa The nest deadline is August 21 for the local quilt guild show, which is a one day event. Meanwhile I am on a committee to put on an event for our pastor who is celebrating her 10th anniversary with us this month. I am putting together a shutterfly book of photos which is something that I love doing. But it does take a bit of time. Maybe because I am a perfectionist and refuse to use their already designed books.

Weight wise I am where I have been. I am still wanting to lose some but I do accept that there are things I cannot change.

Take care everyone.
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Aug-13-15, 02:08

So...after almost a week and a half after returning home from vacation, the scale is showing some mercy. Down to 202.4 this morning. Now to get back to under 200! I hate losing and gaining the same 5-6 pounds over and over again!

I got The Ketogenic Cookbook also. So far, I'm really enjoying it. I didn't realize they also loaded it with good info and not just recipes! For instance, did you know that yellow tomatoes have fewer carbs than red? I guess I never really thought about it, but it's nice to know. I'm looking forward to trying the Avocado Fries.

Have a happy day Rats!

Last edited by kats612 : Thu, Aug-13-15 at 03:50.
  #128   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 07:50
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

I still haven't delved into The Ketogenic Cookbook that much yet. I will. Too hectic recently. Work has been a non-stop whirlwind. I've been able to do what I needed to but it has been a deluge. Today I'm off because today I go to Richmond to the rheumatologist. We'll see what comes of that.

I'm down today a couple of pounds. Don't get excited. I've been losing and regaining the same couple of pounds for a month now. Yeah, I'm futzing around but I'm working on it. That's why I come here....to stay honest and to keep with it. People who stray tend to not keep track of their food, not weigh, and avoid posting. I can't do that.

Someone who used to post here regularly said she doesn't any longer because it's boring. (That's before the exodus of the hissy fitters.) Well who makes it boring? The ones posting or the ones not posting?

So, like it or not, I'm still here and I'm still trying to get my act together again.

Kathy, I can't say that I've had enough yellow tomatoes to note this but I wonder if they are less sweet (less sugar) and thus are less carby. They aren't bountiful here in the markets so I guess I'll just have to wonder that. I DO know that I like those little grape tomatoes and their sweetness but limit myself to no more than 2 oz. and only once or twice a week.

Susan, I hope to see your recent work somewhere. I know you're busy busy. I varnished the painting and will deliver Monday. Yay!

I'm starting the dog portrait and need to get that done pronto because the next commission is of someone's house and it's for a Christmas gift.

The client for the dog portrait sent me two snapshots of the dog sleeping and asked that I paint a portrait of her wet, shaking off the water and with her favorite toy in her mouth. Sure, let me guess what that toy is. I can find reference photos of wet dogs shaking (I'll HAVE to), but I don't have psychic abilities to know what the dog's favorite toy is. I had to ask for that information. Did I really have to ask for that?

The client for the house painting sent one photograph. One photo of a house on a heavily wooded lot with a fence in front. One can barely see the roof of the house because it's behind a stand of trees. In her email she states she wants the house more prominent than what's in the photo. Um......that would be nice if I could see the house and what it looks like. Do people think artists have superpower abilities like x-ray vision? I could make something up but it wouldn't be the house she wants painted. I had to tell her to send me more photos of the house. Did I really have to ask that? Commissions are frustrating at times. One of these days I'm going to paint for myself. One of these days.

Hmmm, maybe I need to paint little things for myself while I get my slacker behind on plan again for real. Now THAT would be steps in a positive direction.

Who thinks I can do it?

With that I leave you to a beeeeeeyooooooootiful Friday.

Later 'gators.
  #129   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-15, 06:28

I haven't really spent a lot of time in the book yet either, but I learned something else new when I was reading the section on bone broth. Maria said adding fresh rosemary will draw more calcium from the bones. Well, low and behold, I have a rosemary plant! (Well, a newly planted rosemary plant after my beauty of one was sadly mowed down.) I have some rosemary added bone broth cooling on the stove now.

Also, I plan on planting yellow tomatoes in my garden next year.

I am still above 200 but eating correctly, very low carb. Maybe my body will reward me soon.

Happy weekend peeps!
  #130   ^
Old Sat, Aug-15-15, 10:03
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids.

Here I have two minutes until noon so it's still morning.

Doctor was nice, took a boatload of tests, had 6 x-rays, given prescription, go back in a month. Traffic was horrendous and TAJ weathered it like a champ. Afterwards we went out to dinner and had a great evening.

I'm holding my own weight-wise today. Big whoop.

Kathy, I use rosemary in my broth but it's the dried variety and more for flavor than anything. I can see where salt would help leach but rosemary? Hey....if anything it tastes good!

We don't have enough sun to grow anything other than a few flowers. Jim's tomatoes were pitiful and his peppers are so-so. I do miss gardening and views of the sky. Living in the woods is messy but I also enjoy the wildlife. There are tradeoffs.

I've started laying out my new painting. I opted for a different pose and think it will work great.

Have a super Saturday!

Later 'gators.
  #131   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-15, 14:56

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Well I just wrote a long post and hit the wrong button and it disappeared off into cyber space. All of my lost writings are probably out there with all of the socks that I have lost in my life, which I have heard that you get back in heaven.

This Saturday is our local quilt guild show. It is mostly traditional quilters, but I try to do something for it. I have finished one rather traditional piece, although it is free form piecing. I am doing 2 small pieces a mini quilt and an art quilt. Not sure which of my unfinished pieces I will finish for that.

One thing about doing the shutterfly book about the last 10 years at our church, I got a good long look at several photos of my porky little self. I was always in denial about how I looked. I feel much better about myself now. Just gotta maintain!

Blue, you have a lot of patience to do these commissions with so little to go on. I admire your fortitude and talent.

I had the whole family over on Thursday for dinner and a board game. I served from my new table and we ate outside. Eating outside seemed like a good idea at the time and the kids had fun. But the flys nearly drove me crazy. Have I mentioned that one reason I love winter here is not flys. Afterwards we played a board game on the new table. One reason I wanted a drop leaf table in the new room was to play board games. It was so nice to have adequate light as the table we used in the past was terrible for light.

I installed windows 10 on my win 8 laptop yesterday. It is fine. I hated 8 so this will work better for me. I doubt if I will use many of the new features. I certainly do not wish to speak to Cortina, or have her speak to me! I still find my little chromebook to be so fast compared to windows.

Have a good week everyone.
  #132   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-15, 18:36
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hi, Everyone. It's been a while since I've posted here. I've popped in a handful of times, but didn't write. I hope everyone is doing well. I think about you all quite often (almost daily,) so decided to say a few words.

Most things are going well. My eating is probably the most difficult thing in my life right now, as I've allowed it to get out of hand. A couple of months ago, I tried a fast (a la Dr. Jason Fung.) Although the not eating part was surprising not so bad, by day four, I was feeling run down and light headed. I started eating again, but didn't start eating right. It's been downhill since, except on the scale, which has, of course, been heading uphill.

I am, however, quite intrigued with Dr. Fung, and I read his weekly emailed post. Tomorrow, I am starting another fast, but this time, I will add broth in the hopes that the weakness and lightheadedness don't become an issue. Also, I will eat dinner Wednesday, as I'm going out with friends. But, plan to fast all other days this coming week. So, there's my food 'n' fat situation as of late. Ugh.

I won't say more, but will pop in tomorrow to read and start catching up on what's going on with all of you.
  #133   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 07:12
It's Only Food!

BF:

Mornin', Kids!

Lab!! Good to see you! I've missed your little lab rat face. Tell ya what, we'll fast and be miserable together. I've put on 17 pounds (from my very, very, lowest) and have been futzing around sort of on plan and sort of not. All it's gotten me is a zig-zag chart and wanting to kick my behind. Your behind kicker could have come in handy a time or two or five.

I know from my own experience that the light-headed feeling like dirt phase happens right before I really get into ketosis. So, as much as I hate it, I'm ready to bite the bullet or sip the broth and get on with it. Honestly, I never felt so bad as that but it doesn't last and once I was on the "other side" I felt great. Can't say as I'm looking forward to it but we have to do what we have to do because the reward is so much greater. How long did you fast? I fast 24 hours every other day and always have dinner. I may forego that this week to get my body in gear. It is evident that I'm retaining water with the Meloxicam I'm taking now. Not happy about that at all.

Susan, as much as we hate the old pics there is great satisfaction with the now. Good for you for arriving there! You worked hard to feel this good. Yay you!!!

That table of yours is wonderful and now you've captured memories of your own on the table. Flies! You made me remember a vacation trip we took decades ago when I was little. We were heading to Minnesota from St. Louis and stopped in Iowa for a picnic. Mom had packed a picnic lunch and roadside tables were the norm back then. We stopped at one, had our plates filled and then came the flies. There was no peace or running them off. We ended up scooping up everything, and headed down the road with all four windows open to blow them all out. Once they had been scattered to the winds we ate our lunch in the car. I've never encountered so many flies. Of course my dad had to bring up the fact that they had probably just come from a nearby pig farm and had walked all over our food and us. There went the appetite.

I defrosted my last container of broth yesterday. Lord, help me make it through the next couple of days. I'll just think of flies and pigs.

Have a good 'un.

Later 'gators.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Mon, Aug-17-15 at 07:35.
  #134   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 10:36
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Good morning, ladies!

Ah, Blue, I weighed this morning and am up 20 lbs from my stable point (although not my lowest point.) I was able to sit stable with little effort at 173 when I was following a decent low carb plan. Today, I'm 193 and not very happy about that. But, I made my choices.

As for the fasting, the last time I lasted 4 days. By the end of the 4th day, I felt crummy. It was so uncomfortable and kind of freaked out, so I began eating again - but not properly. It is very good to know that, if and when I hit that discomfort zone again, it will not last long and that it is a precursor to a good spot. I will hang in there with some broth, hope and fortitude. The flies/pigs story should help out if I get too hungry. We'll get through the next few days. As your tagline states, "It's only food."

Susan, all three of my Windows machines were quickly upgraded to Win 10. I'm fine with it. I didn't mind 8.1, but I'm liking 10 better. I have a solid state drive on my Core-i7, Z97 platform machine. With that platform/processor, along with the SSD, I've always booted up in seconds on that computer, and still do. Where I really see the improvement of Win 10's performance is on my laptop and on my tablet. The laptop, especially, is not a real powerhouse, and was never meant to be. But, with 10, I see a significant performance boost. You are right, though, that Windows cannot match the performance of a lightweight OS such as Chrome OS. My husband recently gave up his old laptop and, while looking around for a replacement, I suggested a Chrome OS based machine. He settled on an LG Chromebase (rather than a Chromebook.) It's perfect for his needs. I found that there are plenty of goodies to be added in from the Chrome store to supplement for a variety of purposes, including Samba shares and FTP client services. He doesn't use any of that, but I sure would. And, soon there will be portability for all Android apps in Chrome OS. That will really open things up. I'm awaiting the new Acer Chromebase to hit the shelves. More RAM, beefier processor and touchscreen capability if you want it. It looks quite nice.
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 15:34
It's Only Food!

BF:

Geeze, Lab, you're a tough cookie. Four DAYS?!?!? Holy cats. I'm sticking to 24 hours at a time but am slashing carbs and will stick with protein and fat at reduced rates until my body gets through the DT's........Dietary Temptations.

I have a new touchscreen laptop that is da bomb! (Doesn't anyone still say that?) Love it. Got SUCH a deal on it here at the school bookstore. Such a deal. I still use my tablet when I'm away from my computer, though.