Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 11:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/167/160
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default 15 days in and little results

I've been on the induction for 15 days and I've lost maybe 2-3 pounds. My Keto sticks show a moderate level of Ketones so I dont know what the problem is. Here is a sample of a typical menu that I have been following.

Morning : 2-4 egg whites/1 strip of bacon/2 slices of white american cheese.
Lunch : 6oz. of smoked turkey and 2 slices of cheese
Dinner : 16oz. club steak

I drink about a gallon of water everyday
Also is it possible to get too much protein?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-03, 12:16

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It seems to me you are not getting enough veggies. You need to eat salad and vegitables with this way of eating. Also you need to up the fats. Try a side salad dressed with olive oil.

Why egg whites? You can eat the yolks too you know.

We don't usually count the amount of protein but you really need to balance your diet a little.

Also you need to take a good vitamin/mineral suppliment.

Best of luck,

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 06:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/140/140 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You only have 16 lbs. to lose. Considering you lose about 10% of it on induction, you were "supposed" to lose 1.6 lbs. - so you're doing actually better than you think.

Significant weight-loss (in terms we're used to) usually happens with significantly overweight people. Those who don't have much to lose usually don't see the same results.

Think of it in terms of percentages rather than in lbs. You're doing a magnificent job!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 07:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/160/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile

Hi, I'm also new to Atkins. I'm beginning my 4th week today, and I've lost 5 lbs since starting. My keto-sticks stay in the mid-range of color, but I try not to worry about it too much. I have decided that this is a life-style change and it will take as long as it takes. My body will eventually regulate itself, and yours will too if you stay with the plan.

To me it's worth it just to feel as great as I've been feeling for the past three weeks....no more emotional highs and lows....my body feels better. I'm not going to let the scales psyche me out...I'm going with the way I feel and the fact that my clothes are getting a little roomier! Also, as I'm learning this new way of life, trying to re-think the way I prepare and eat my food, I am willing to accept that weight-loss might not be immediate. I'm in a tremendous learning curve, and I'm guessing maybe you are too. Hang in there!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 09:59

Plan: Dr. Atkins & M & E fast
Stats: 160/153/140 Female 5ft7inces and 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default ?????

I thought that if you were not loseing that well....you ditch the salad for a while.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 10:02

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Where are you vegetables and salads? You really must eat these for success - - those who don't tend to have the same problem as you - no or very slow weight loss.

If you are following ATKINS, 3 cups of veggies/salads per day is mandatory.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 11:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/167/160
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Veggies?

I must have missed that part in the book about the veggies and salads.....I thought thewy were optional....not mandatory. I thought the least amount of carbs the better, thats why I stayed away. Thanks for your help.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 12:28

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Exclamation

You really need to read the book - you are suppose to keep carbs at 20 grams during Induction - not less, not more. As close to 20 and your carbs are suppose to come from veggies/salads mostly. This is why you are not getting the results you wish for.

go to www.atkinsnutritionals.com for more information but the book is like the bible of Atkins/Low Carbing.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 13:17
Registered Member

Plan: Cruisin' into Maintenance
Stats: 230/190/190 Male 74 in.
BF:??/18/??
Progress: 100%

It's just as important to have enough calories as it is to have low carbs. One of the things you have to watch out for is your body going into starvation mode like some diets have you doing. If you eat plenty of protein with fat it should help. Cutting out the egg yolks may seem like a 'traditional diet' but it is allowed, no encouraged on this diet. It takes some getting used to that eating this way is good for you.

Duncan