Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-16-03, 22:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%
Default 18 days and still hungry

I have been on Induction for 18 days and am still getting hunger pains-expecially at night before bed --I know they are hunger pains because I am getting heartburn with them-
I have not had heartburn in a LONG time but suddenly now I am-(only when I'm hungry)
The problem is I have already gotten to my 20carbs (or awfully close) and I have eaten my 3 cups of veggies and am careful of my cheese intake and cream intake
I eat during the day but I also clean houses all day so I feel like I am burning all my food off as soon as I eat it
I take celery with cream cheese,deviled eggs ,pork rinds -easy to eat stuff for my lunch -For supper I have veggies-broccoli,cauliflower,salad ,asparagus etc with some type of meat

Is this part of the phase of getting through carb withdrawel or am I crazy??!!!

PS-I also drik at leat 96 oz of water a day and I try that when I am hungry to see if the hunger goes away but usiually I just get heartburn

I have also cut out Aspartame .

HELP!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 06:53
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

If you are at 18 days, you can move out of induction and into OWL. You can up your carbs 5 g a week and add more cheese into your eating plan if you want.

I eat at night all the time and it hasn't seemed to hurt my weight loss any. If you are that hungry at night-eat something. You are really active all day, so apparently your body needs the calories. Try some nuts-high in fat and may help.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 09:19

Paleoanth

If I still have alot of weight to loose it is ok to stay on induction isn't it or since I am still so hungry should I go ahead and up my carbs by 5g and see if I continue to loose and if I don't then maybe go back to induction?/
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 09:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
The problem is I have already gotten to my 20carbs (or awfully close) and I have eaten my 3 cups of veggies and am careful of my cheese intake and cream intake

Are you remembering to deduct the fiber from your carb count? If you are choosing veggies from the allowed list from induction, 3 cups wouldn't get you that close to 20 grams of carb.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 10:17
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

You also might not be getting enough fat. 70% of all of my calories come from fat. Add olive oil or butter to your veggies.

Yes, it is OK to stay in induction. You are allowed 3-4 oz of cheese in induction as well.

Lisa has a good point-subtract that fiber!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 18:43
Italian Princess

Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default The bottom line is...if you are hungry, EAT! :)

I think you should just eat more frequently. Try smaller meals but more of them. Instead of 2-3 meals a day, eat 5-6.

The bottom line is...if you are hungry, EAT!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 19:45

Thanks to all of you for answering -This is the only place where on a "diet" they say if you are hungry eat-Overweight people just don't hear that very often!!!

I guess I am still trying to get used to eating all this fat and maybe I still feel like I am doing the wrong thing if I eat too much of it but I am losing so I am doing something right !!
THanks again!!!1
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 20:44
Italian Princess

BF:

I think most of us have that same dilemma when we first start. Even the "don't eat 4 hrs before bed" rule does not apply here. If anything, being hungry all the time is slowing down your metabolism. Remeber to eat 10 - 12 times your weight in calories. I think you'll find that you may not be able to finish all of that!

Don't suffer or ever make yourself feel deprived! That is what has made this work for me the most. I don't feel like I'm "missing out!"

I miss Dr. Atkins

Last edited by Alleine : Sat, May-17-03 at 20:46.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 20:51

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%
Smile

I am glad you mentioned that eating before bed is okay, I really didn't know that and try not to eat too close to bedtime. I too, am often hungry before bed and feel guilty if I eat. I am happy to know it is okay, thanks for letting us that didn't know, know!!
I am also curious if it is better to stay on induction for a few months to get maximum weight loss, I need to lose over 100 pounds, or is it better to add the carbs every week? I do feel more comfortable staying on induction as I am a very slow loser as I have been on and off the diet too many times.
Thanks, Stephie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 21:11
Italian Princess

BF:

They say induction is safe for 6 - 12 months.

My decision to go off induction after 4 weeks was based on how I felt and what made me most psychologically happy. I was getting bored of my food choices and I wanted to avoid my old pattern.

My problem with dieting has always been hunger and a feeling of deprivation. So I told myself that I would not subject myself to this again. I have been dieting for 20 years and it never worked. So, for me eating to be satisfied (not stuffed) and numbers going down slowly is so much better than quickly lose, quickly cheat, quickly go off the wagon and regain the weight.

Many of us find that we don't hunger as quickly after meals and the absense of hunger altogether sometimes happens. I was one of those who was not hungry the first week and then regained my hunger the next week. I listen to my body now. If it tells me it's hungry I eat. Rarely do I overeat or "stuff" myself. That just doesn't appeal to me anymore unless my boyfriend makes enchiladas
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 21:26

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%
Smile

I agree with you, I would rather lose slow than try to hurry and get burned out and quit. What kind of things did you add after the four weeks, the same things just more of them, or did you add totally new things? I keep crashing and burning and just want to stop. I dont' care anymore if I lose slow, I just want to lose. I have been on this plan so many times this past year and I am paying for it with slow weight loss now. I have never really lost fast though ever. I had my thyroid checked out and it is fine, my doctor checked it two times and the second time more thoroughly. He says it is normal. So I suppose I am just dealing with a sluggish metabalism. Lucky me!!!
The deprivation is an issue for me, especially since I have always been a very good baker. it is like chopping off my arm to give up the baking and the goodies, but I have to. Diabetes(mature onset type) runs in my family, so it is not if, but when if I don't get the weight off and stay off the sweets. I want a long and healthy life. But it will take time to tame these old hungers and habits.
I have made low fat desserts that we can live with, and actually enjoy. I just have to get over the stuff I can't have anymore. It is not easy, but I am determined. The hunger thing most days is not a problem, but snacking when I am bored or anxious still is. I am eating protein snacks, no carbs, but still need to break the habit.
It is hard, but a worthy goal. I do know I will make it. I just have to learn to be patient. That is the real secret I think for me. Stephie
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 23:53
Italian Princess

BF:

I think the thing that really convinced me that slow is ok is that I notice improvements in my overall health, sense of well being and outward appearance through the process of losing weight not just when I will reach my goal weight.

I stopped believing that I would only feel better and look better when I reached my goal weight. I now realize that the benefits of this are paying off now...and it will only get better. It's not even a matter of patience anymore...it's just happening.

To answer your question about foods...I added the things I missed. Bread and muffins! Yep, I went and got Atkins bread and muffins and Carb DeLite dark chocolate . I was convinced that I would gain weight when I ate them, but I didn't. These were the foods I was craving (when people say you lose all your cravings, don't believe them, some do some don't). Like I said, I won't feel deprived anymore, so I won't do without the things I love. I understand that some people can't handle eating things in moderation, but I can! How? Because I know eating them is not going to be a binge...I can have them tomorrow too so I don't eat the whole loaf of bread or the whole batch of muffins lol

I also added more varieties of vegetables. We make our own strawberry ice cream! Strawberries, blackberries, more cheese, low-carb tortillas, etc. I eat a tablespoon of peanut butter now and then too. A good web site to browse is The Better Health Store . Excellent prices!

If you like to bake, great! You will just have to learn how to bake the low carb way. This and other web sites are a wonderful resource for recipies and techniques.

Basically, eat what you like. I do this but still try to stay between 20 - 30 carbs per day. Some days (not often) I go as high as 50 but then the next day I'm back to 20 - 30 and don't feel guilty. My boyfreind and I also have one cheat day every four months. Since we started atkins in January we've done this only once, in april. Next one is August. We like to talk about what horrible things we're going to eat!

Last edited by Alleine : Sat, May-17-03 at 23:57.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 08:46

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

If you are extremely physically active, such as cleaning houses all day, you probably need more fuel! Don't take this and run with it, but me being active allowed me to eat more on induction and still lose rapidly. so be careful, but remember, cars need fuel, so do people! Eat if your truly hungry.
Tammy
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 10:43

I noticed that right after I posted this original post aht I started to put some more fat in my diet and 2 days later I dropped 1.5 lbs after a stall of 5 days
You are all right on target-I will eat more

I LOVE THIS WOE!!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:42

Plan: Nutrisystem
Stats: 185/180.5/155 Female 5'4"
BF:35.6
Progress: 15%

Hi guys,

Don't mean to butt in but.................Tammy, where have you been? I have left messages to you with no response. I've missed talking with you. Come visit me sometimes.

Still your friend, always,

Maxine.