Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 00:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 126/121/99 Female 5"3
BF:
Progress: 19%
Question Protein drink on Induction

[FONT=Arial]Hi everyone I'm about to go on Induction and i was wondering if anyone knows of a good ready made or powdered protein drink i can have on induction for my morning tea when i'm at work. I'm always hungry by 11am and can't face meat or salad at that time but i need something to tide me over till my lunch break after 2pm. At the moment i am used to having bananna smooties for morning tea. ( I start induction on Friday) so i thought a protien drink would be the way to go.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 17:08

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

have a look at your local health food shop, tell the person there you don't want anything that has sugar. unfortunately i can't think of one off the top of my head, i use nutralife for women but not sure if it has a sweetner in it or not, sorry.
why not try a cheese snack? i lurve cream cheese and celery. i usually have a can of tuna or the like. the other suggestion i can make is eat more for breakfast, if you do you shouldn't be so hungry.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 17:25
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Yasmena, welcome!

I have similar suggestions to Sambalam.

As you haven't started yet, I'd be interested to know what you are currently eating for breakfast. Because with a filling low carb brekkie with a good portion of protein and plenty of fat, you are a lot less likely to be feeling hungry mid morning.

But in case you are, I'd have snacks ready. Ham, roast beef, or smoked salmon and cream cheese rollups make great snacks. Or just a small portion of ham and cheese - say a slice of each. Check our "Quick Meals and Snacks" subforum for more ideas.

But I really would wait and see. Lots of people find their appetite drops dramatically once they start. Still, good on you for thinking ahead and wanting to be prepared.

All the best to you, matey!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 04:38

BF:

Thanx for the advice. I ended up getting redback soy protein isolate (it had 20% off lol). Actually i'm really bad at the moment and only have a coffee for beakfast and occasionally some fruit if i'm really good. But i will obviously start eating breakfast now, mmm bacon. lol
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 17:45

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Protein Drinks

Hi Yasmena,

GNC sell Atkins ready made protein drinks. It would get pretty expensive buying these for every day though.

I'm not sure where in Sydney you are, but the BIG vitamin store (Mr.Vitamins) in Chatswood sells BSc (Body Science) Whey Protein Isolate powder in Strawberry, Chocolate and Vanilla - I think it is pretty good, and they sell a container with 24 serves for $29.95. It is only .55 grams carbs per serve, which I think is close to being the lowest available. They sell different types of BSc, so make sure you pick up the right one, check the nutritional label. The vanilla is particularly good for making cereal and pancakes. Take a look at my journal if you want my recipes for these, I find it easy to eat these for breakfast. I make a big container of the protein and linseed mix, and keep it in the fridge.

Anyway, in terms of the protein drink for 11am, you may find you will not be hungry until lunch, but if you do want this mid-morning, maybe invest in a cheapish hand wand blender to keep at work? It would be cheaper than buying the Atkins pre-made drinks every day.

Cheers
Luscious

Last edited by Luscious : Thu, Dec-18-03 at 17:47.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 21:07

BF:

ahh, the redback proyein drink is awful. I may just give up on the idea, i used to like the slim fast ones but that was probably cause they had so much sugar in them or i might try the atkins ones. I normally buy my morning tea and lunch so it probably will cost the same
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 17:48

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

yasmena, you really do need to eat breakfast! coffee and fruit is not really low carb and will spike your insulin anyway! try making a crustless quiche or something that you can leave in the fridge and have some everyday.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 05:31

BF:

Yeah i know i need to eat breakfast, that was what i was eating before i started induction which i only started on friday. i now just have bacon or sausages as i'm not a big fan of eggs or egg based foods