Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#2011   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 04:16
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
Mojolissa, I'm going to answer your questions according to my understanding of the program.

When do you stop eating?
Do you have a cut-off everyday?
Do you use any artificial sweetners?
Do you ever do extended IF?

According to the CAD/CALP books, you eat your RM (Reward meals, with the carbs) meals in a 60 minute window so to avoid a second insulin release. I find this pretty easy to do _ I guess I'm a fast eater- unless we are at a nice restaurant. Then I try my best and usually by avoiding dessert I can be closer to the hour.

I have a cutoff - I leave the kitchen after dinner and do not eat again. I typically eat dinner at 6 pm so once I leave the kitchen I'm done until the next morning. I eat breakfast around 7 am.

I use Stevia once or twice every week or two. Last week I didn't use it at all, but the week before I had 2 packets. I don't use it in baking (hardly bake) and avoid all other artificial sweeteners.

I don't do IF or extended fasting.

Last night's RM: beef brisket, large salad with avocado, 1 slice buttered toast, 1 beer. DH had the same with macaroni and cheese too.

Later-
E
Sponsored Links
  #2012   ^
Old Tue, Nov-07-17, 20:56

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Thanks again Eno
  #2013   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-17, 04:24

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi Mojolissa,

When i do the CAD, what i find helps is to have a kind of 'cut off point'
where i'd wait to have my RM dinner around 9 hours after my first CM meal of the day.
So it would be the pattern of a CM Breakfast, CM lunch and then a RM dinner.
If i can adhere to that as strictly as possible; i feel so much more normalised and balanced.
It's only this way do i lose weight at a nice rate.

Sometimes i would have an extra RM snack like a banana before bed if my sleeping patterns were not great-this probably slowed down my weight loss efforts but that wasn't always my goal-my goal was just to have a more normal eating pattern.

I love D.Coke, but only as an occasional treat if possible.
I worry more for my teeth in relation to D.Coke though rather than any weight issues.
I've always used one Tsp. of Xylitol in my morning coffee and i now actually prefer it to sugar. Really dislike a real sugar in my coffee now.

I have tried an extended IF, in the pattern of 16:8. Is this the one you are doing?
Sometimes it helped, other times i found it a bit pointless.
What i found worked better for me in the past however was more of a 5:2 style eating where its more like a drastic calorie reduction for a day or two rather than just
extended fasting as such.

That's the one i'm going to try next,- that's if it doesn't increase my stress levels or feel too complicated or be any kind of mental burden.

Congratulations on your recent weight loss; that is an amazing amount to lose.

I'm eating too much this weather; yesterday was particularly bad- now today i'm more hungry than ever.
Its so counter-intuitive but it really seems true that less is in fact more.
At least i know the correct course of action now, whereas i didn't in the past.
  #2014   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-17, 06:19

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolissa
Hey there

I'm thinking that CAD is where I belong these days.
I have lost around 25 pounds in the last 2 months, using IF, along with the one hour limit per Rachel's story (thanks Eno)!
Hoping to get more technical questions answered from you folks that have followed the CAD plan for years.

When do you stop eating?
Do you have a cut-off everyday?
Do you use any artificial sweetners?
Do you ever do extended IF?

Thanks for your time

Waving "hi".

I am usually done with my rm by 5-5:30 pm. I rarely, very rarely, have an evening cm snack.

I find I feel my best if I eat early, and even on dh's days off, and when we eat out, we go "early bird".

I do not use any artificial sweeteners. I do respond to the taste of sweet (even sweet teas can be an issue for me - I found making tea with fresh spearmint teas to be a "more more" thing for me, and then looked up fresh mint to see it actually had a "nice" carb level.) Sigh.

I do not do IF, but am close in the sense that if I am done by 5 pm, my next day breakfast is usually between 5:30-6:30, a good 12 hours or more, from my rm.
  #2015   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-17, 15:55
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-

had leftover chicken for CM breakfast (with cauliflower and brussel sprouts).
Tonight's RM (Planned): fried chicken wing, Chinese chicken and eggplant, 1/2 pita bread, water.

later-
E
  #2016   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-17, 19:06

Thanks Mary and Patricia

My plan was to stop the night time eating. I was always so hungry at night on low-carb. I started out with Protein Power and lost steadily until goal, but then I went back to eating whatever and whenever. BIG mistake! Gained it all back and more. All subsequent attempts have been unsuccessful doing low-carb.

Recently, my BIL lost about 50 lbs doing intermittent fasting with a cut-off at noon. So I tried his plan of eating what I wanted, but only once per day until full and all within a one-hour time frame. Then I remembered that I read the CAD original book and Rachel Heller talked about how she fasted for blood work and discovered that she had lost weight and she wondered if she could continue to lose eating that way.

I'm trying to do the same thing with my plan. I have been successful so far! Reading IDM and Dr. Fung opened my eyes to the IF woe. I eat one meal a day RM within one-hour usually at midday. I don't eat anything outside that meal generally. I do have coffee with cream in the morning though.

Thanks again for sharing your stories. I will continue to eat this way, because I think it works very well for me.
ttfn

Last edited by mojolissa : Wed, Nov-08-17 at 19:46.
  #2017   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-17, 04:12

BF:

That's so great you've found the best way for you Mojolissa,
I love the simplicity of what you've described.
It's so easy to get bogged down with health information and making things complicated.
Eating "whatever and whenever" always ends in disaster for me also,
i just cannot rely on my natural cues.

After my bad day's eating two days ago; yesterday was so hard.
I felt way too sensitive & almost super raw/fragile (the only way i can describe it)- going shopping was really
problematic as the cravings were larger than life. Felt like a desperate 'junkie'.
Such a vicious circle. Brain chemistry is definitely involved in this.

Everything I've learned so far in my cooking classes is mostly baked goods;Pies, sponge cake, scones, a Carbohydrate addicts dream/nightmare.
At least nothing is forbidden on this plan so long as i know where to draw that line in the sand.

Staying hopeful for better times.
  #2018   ^
Old Thu, Nov-09-17, 13:26

That is great Mary
Isn't it wonderful not to feel deprived? I used to go out to dinner with hubby and think well I can't have anything here....ugh. Every time we went to a restaurant I had to decide where to go because of my restrictions. Not anymore! I love it!

I started this 80 days ago and have lost 25 pounds so far and it has been pretty easy. I've lost more in the last couple of months than I have in years of low-carbing!
  #2019   ^
Old Fri, Nov-10-17, 07:24
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
that's great news, Mojolissa!

Last night's RM was a huge salad and a burger. For my carb I had the burger on 2 slices of really good and dense sunflower seed bread. Delish.

tonight we are going out to hear music, so are grabbing a quick dinner. My friend who we are going with is not eating gluten or sugar, so she will pick the place for dinner.

later-
E
  #2020   ^
Old Sat, Nov-11-17, 13:44
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
had a really good RM (for me) last night- went to a place with LOTS of gluten free and vegan stuff, so my friend was happy with her choice. I got a terrific cheese steak on a really good roll with a salad.
Tonight's planned RM: roasted chicken, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and a salad. I was going to also make cole slaw but when I opened the bag of angel hair shredded cabbage it was brown. So no slaw. For carb I'm planning on pita bread.

Tomorrow I'm having chicken salad for CM breakfast. Then planned RM will be chili with grass fed ground beef, salad and my carb will be a quesadilla.

later-
E
  #2021   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-17, 07:28

BF:

I think there was another diet called the 'warrior diet' that had some
of the characteristics of the CAD, except it allowed some snacks during the day too.
I found that helped me too in the past. Just keeping things to an absolute minimum and then having one bigger meal in the day.

Trying to do more walking in the fresh air, a lovely sunny day here today.
Its actually the best feeling in the world especially now when there isn't much daylight anymore.

My savage appetite hasn't really decreased much; i'm like a bear about to go into hibernation for the winter.
So i'm going to include more low carb green smoothies, soup, and hot cocoa made with unsweetened almond milk & try to avoid occasions of temptation if at all possible for the time being.
Think i'll do my shop online too so i don't have to contend with all the tempting foods.
Hope everyone has a good week ahead.
  #2022   ^
Old Sun, Nov-12-17, 07:47
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
Mary, are you eating enough fat and protein? One of the issues with the CAD family of plans not being updated in the pat 15 years is that the research on fat was really not done yet. The new evidence is that fat is not bad for you, and is actually pretty important for satiety and health. I've noticed you talk about low fat foods but I haven't wanted to say anything. Most people on LCHF (low carb high fat) don't feel ravenous hunger. I don't eat HIGH fat- I'm not aiming to be in ketosis (yet), but I don't limit fat and I don't eat any low fat foods. I eat only real cheese, H&H, any meat I want, oils, butter, heavy cream, full fat yogurt/sour cream/cottage cheese. It's a huge shift in thinking. I no longer believe in the cholesterol theory of heart disease, or in the AHA or ADA party line on low fat. It's just wrong.
So- something to think about?
E
  #2023   ^
Old Mon, Nov-13-17, 05:29

BF:

Thanks so much Eno I really appreciate you speaking out to point out where i may be going wrong. I hadn't realised the connection myself or hadn't focused on it enough.

I go for things like low fat butter in particular because i can't
seem to tolerate full fat due to my IBS issues.
Its so idiosyncratic because cream is usually OK but not butter.
Also; i tried to switch from low fat milk to full fat just in teas/coffee also and
i found i preferred the taste of low fat. Again with regards to yogurt; my favourite one just happened to be low fat.
I will make more effort to phase these out in preference to the higher fat ones now.
Even with making my omelettes i realise i had ran out of coconut oil so had been using an olive oil spray which probably didn't have the same amount of fats.
I think you have solved the mystery for me- i'm really grateful for your insight.

I had got the overall impression that its OK to be more liberal with fat content so long as your diet is overall lower in carbohydrates but
if you had a higher intake of sugar and processed refined carbohydrates the higher fat content could be more of a problem.
So i may have been going on that understanding too which was actually back firing on me.
I've discovered there can be many mistakes i need to UN-learn too.
Like you said; a huge shift in thinking is the way to go.

Yesterday; i had the green low Carb smoothie which contained 1/4 avocado and 1 Tsp. Flaxseed, as some of the ingredients.

Then i had a cup of chicken soup which had around 7g of Cream in it too.
They actually really helped and although i had a rather large meal in the evening with 1 full cup of cooked rice as well as a high in fat dessert...weight has decreased slightly since yesterday.

I had a long walk of 1 and 1/2 hours also which i heard is supposed to decrease insulin if its too high.

I'm feeling way more optimistic and hopeful now going forward; Thanks!
  #2024   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-17, 01:59

Wow I hadn't realized you were struggling with hunger, Mary.
That is what I love about this plan.
I eat ALOT and only limit when I eat it!
Way to go on the walking! That is awesome!
  #2025   ^
Old Tue, Nov-14-17, 07:01

BF:

I wasn't properly on plan & because of the hunger i was succumbing to all the wrong things, at the wrong times too. I should have explained that.

Yeah; i exercise mostly to get into a positive frame of mind, & for cardio health & to get more energy- not really
for weight loss purposes.
I really want to keep it up this winter as i find it so easy to fall into a horrible funk at this time of year; not wanting to move or do anything at all because of the cold.

Its actually amazing how there are lots of options even within the CAD,
those a,b,c and D plans.
Whatever works and is easiest.
Wishing you continued success too Mojolissa!