Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:12

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Carb tracking software that REALLY calculates ECC?

I’ve seen several threads asking about carb counting software, and I have looked at several different programs. I do use Fitday, and I like it, but I want something that takes sugar alcohols (and fiber, of course) into account for a true effective carbohydrate count. (I know that sugar alcohols stall some people and give others intestinal problems, but I don’t seem to have that problem with an occasional consumption.)

Has anyone seen software that can do this? Freeware would be awesome, but at this point I am willing to pay for it. If nothing like this exists, then I guess I will have to develop it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

The new Fitday PC software doesn't have the capabilites to track sugar alcohols. It does have Carbs minus fiber capability though.

Seeing as you have to create the food anyways (entering in the nutritional information, etc), I would just manually deduct the SA carbs from the total before you enter the data.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 16:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Part of the reason the software won't handle SAs is that no one can agree just how to count them. The Canadian Diabetes association recommends counting half of the SA grams as carbs, while others will say "count all" or "count none".

Fitday *does* give you the total carb grams and the fiber grams, so all you have to do is subtract at a glance. It's in the chart at the top center of the page.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:03

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Part of the reason the software won't handle SAs is that no one can agree just how to count them.
Hmm ... good point. I guess if I design a database/shareware program, I will take that into consideration and make it so that the user can set a percentage of carbs to be considered for SAs ... or something like that.