Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 22:46

Plan: Atkins/ Protein Power
Stats: 173/140/140 Female 69.5
BF:2ndX w/ Atkins
Progress: 100%
Default Can someone help me pick out a good exercise routine??

So I promised myself that after I got back from Thanksgiving, I would begin an intense workout regime b/c 18 days later I'm leaving for the Bahamas. I know, I know I should exercise anyway and that 18 days is a short time, but whatever...
So far I have lost weight, so I can admit it, I didn't feel the need to exercise, but I'm sure that won't last and I thought toning and trimming would be a good idea before I put a bathing suit on

Alright...I know there are some rules to working out, but I don't know what they are. For example, isn't there some thing that says you shouldn't do the smae exercises everyday, etc.

So what I would like to know is...

1. Is the more cardio I do better? I was thinking 6 days a week, for about 30 mins??? on a treadmill (high intensity, and no incline)

2. Now this is were I am clueless...what about toning/sculpting. I really want my thighs to firm up a bit so...should I do them everyday? I was thinking after I do the cardio, I would alternate an area for each day (arms, chest, back, stomach, thighs (does that include the butt, or are there other exercises for that?), and calves - that's everything, right?) Could I do thighs each day, or is that not good?

Also, I heard (there's a lot I've "heard") that if you do 100 situps/day that's the climax of effectiveness (anymore, won't do anything) - is that true?

Lastly, I know I can find some good exercises for each part of my bod, but how many sets of each? I was thinking 4 sets of 12??

I know this is a lot if Q's but I want to design a very structured plan...

Thanks,
Erin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 22:49

I was just about to start reading Nat's post on abs and thought that BFL might have all these answers for me?? MY mom definitely has the book, so I could read it during Thanksgiving break and than jump on it when I get home????

Has anyone read this - is it my answer?

Thanks,
E
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 23:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin4980
I was just about to start reading Nat's post on abs and thought that BFL might have all these answers for me?? MY mom definitely has the book, so I could read it during Thanksgiving break and than jump on it when I get home????

Erin I think that's a great idea. Take a look through the book and check out the Links Jon gave me in this post :

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...7193#post207193

www.leanandstrong.com has a great transformation library that is truly inspiring. As does www.bodychangers.com .

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 23:49

Default LeanandStrong.com

Nat, I have to tell you - I love looking at before and after pics, but I can't stand that site - I hope they didn't pay a lot for it b/c it's horrid. Thanks for the link. I couldn't even make it through all the before and after b/c there were soooooo muany, but they were "truely inspiring" - I want to work out right now, but it's midnight so I'm not gonna even go there.

Thanks for the sites, I'm off to check out the other link

Erin
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-01, 23:55

The body changers site was set up much better for those before and after pics. I think the pics of couples together are soooo cute Isn't it funny how most of the people get tan after they lose weight. I hate the stereotype that healthy = tan...if that were true, I would be the most unhealthy person ever (I basically get soooo white in the winter, I look greenish - no joke)...lol. And what's with those newspapers?!?, it reminds me of a that "Proof of LIfe" movie where the ransom pics have the newspaper so you can see the date and that the person is alive...lol.

I can't wait to put a pic up so everyone can see what I look like...

Thanks again for the links,
E

I'm not sure if the BFL is for me - all those people look like body builders and I'm not going for that kind look (or anything close). I want to looked tone, but I think I have enough muscle under my fat for me...even when I see people like Madonna's arms, I shutter. I don't like that look at all. I do some reading when I get home, before I judge. I'll let you know how it goes.
I noticed your plan changed to include BFL - how long have you been doing it? How are your results going?

Last edited by Erin4980 : Sun, Nov-18-01 at 00:03.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-01, 00:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin4980
I noticed your plan changed to include BFL - how long have you been doing it? How are your results going?

Finished my first week yesterday, feeling great. Little sore but its that 'good sore"; apparently you can see a difference already, or so I've been told by the one person who'd know Week 4 is when you start noticing big time; which puts me the day before my first Xmas party (very good timing I think!)

I wouldnt worry about being overly muscular, Erin. If body fat loss is all you want then that's quite doable, especially if you follow the program and stick with a version of LC. Weight work is necessary for fat loss, it actually will do more for you in terms of fat loss than aerobic activity will, but you do not need to 'bulk' up.

You'll enjoy the book, it's well written.

Nat
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 11:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/225 Male 5ft 11in
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
2. Now this is were I am clueless...what about toning/sculpting. I really want my thighs to firm up a bit so...should I do them everyday? I was thinking after I do the cardio, I would alternate an area for each day (arms, chest, back, stomach, thighs (does that include the butt, or are there other exercises for that?), and calves - that's everything, right?) Could I do thighs each day, or is that not good?

I wouldn't do any area of the body every day. The great thing about weight training is that is works ofr several days. In that, I mean when you are lifting weights your muscles actually tear. They then repair themselves over the next couple of days - depending on how intense you work out. If you work the same region every day it never has time to heal. The healing process is what build muscles. I alternate my upper and lower body. I work out four times a week with at least a two day rest for each ares.

As for exercises. I would suggest when doing your legs to do leg extension and hamstring extensions (one you lie down the other is sitting, usually the same maching) Also an easy exercise you can do is lunges. Either with or without weights. You can do this at home or at the gym. Those are the basics. Depending on your gym I would talk with a trainer to determine what is best for you. For your bottom there are two great excercises - Running and swimming. If you have ever noticed, swimmers have the best butts, this is for a reason.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 17:53
Registered Member

Stats: 218/198/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Ok, I'm being DENSE

Nat.....anyone??? What is BFL? And where can I go go to find more about it??? Thank you all!!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 18:24

Default BFL...

BFL is a book - Body for Life. It's been on the best sellers list forever, but I have to admitt I haven't read it. Sorry, that's all I know.
E
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 12:10
Registered Member

Stats: 218/198/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Thanks Erin

I'll have to check it out too!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 18:17

Stats: 200/190/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Lightbulb

I was just about to ask the same question, Bella! Thanks for the info...I'm going to go to the library to see if they have it...I also need to now incorporate an exercise routine...YUK!

Cheers!
deb
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 18:20

BF:
Default Re: Ok, I'm being DENSE

Quote:
Originally posted by Bellla63
Nat.....anyone??? What is BFL? And where can I go go to find more about it??? Thank you all!!

Missed this, sorry.

For BFL Info check these sites:

www.bodyforlife.com
www.bodychangers.com and

take a peak at Jon Ree's Gym log and mine (but toward the end; I wasnt BFLing until Nov. 11th)

Nat
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 20:23

Stats: 200/190/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Re: Ok, I'm being dense...

I must be losing my mind along with my weight! Here I was reading everyone elses threads about the BFL wondering what in the heck it was until Bella asked and then the light when on ! I have had the BFL book for about 6 months now sitting in my basement with a couple of other books I started reading and never finished! Well, since I am hearing all of these great things about it here, I am definetly going to read it! I checked out the website and see they have a 2002 Challenge to get in on if anyone is interested...might get some of us motivated!!

Deb