Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 04:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/187/174
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Creatin monohydrat

I`m wondering about the combination of creatin monohydrat and LC, will that work?, i work out 6 days/week, mon-wen-fri, weight training, tue-thu-sat, cardio. I know i will gain water weight but will i still be in ketosis and lose fat? greatful if someone knows
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 04:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/187/174
BF:
Progress: 78%

sorry about the double post, wonder how that happend??
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 05:12

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default yes

creatine will work on a LC diet. The whole "insulin spike" about creatine absobption is just a slight edge. Your body will still absorb the creatine.

Just be sure that you are taking regular, plain creatine monohydrate, with no carbs added. Many creatine products are adding carbs now. The product label will tell you.

3g to 5g per day will do just fine.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-28-01, 07:44

Plan: none
Stats: 188/188/200
BF:
Progress:
Default Creatine and no carbs?

Sorry, but since the creatine needs a low GI carb for transport what benefit is there to loading on a low carb diet? There won't be anything to push into the muscle. I've tried loading creatine-m while on a keto diet. Does absolutely nothing. No added cell volume without glycogen.

Lipo
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-01, 04:18

Default uh ....

Thanks for the input Lipo, but 3 to 5g of creatine per day is a maintainance dose ... Not a load.

Loading would be like 20g per day for a week. Again, this is another situaution where I have been there. Creatine does work on a low carb diet.

Water intake needs to be extremely high though.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-04-01, 17:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BodyOpus
Stats: 222/184/184
BF:
Progress: 100%

In my experiece, creatine needs a transport system, and the best one is pure glucos. Research indicates that 70 grams! is optimal. Obviously out of question on a low carb diet.

Personally I don't use creatine whilst in ketosis. Even when consuming large amounts it doesn't seem to enter the muscles. EAS has developed a low glycemic transport system, but even this will definetly take you out of ketosis.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 17:56

Default better late than never ...

While an insulin spike that is geneated from glucose will definately increase creatine uptake into the muscles, it is not a neccessity.

Creatine will be absorbed and utilized by the body no matter what accompanies it. Absorption may be better with carbs, but even in the absence of carbs the creatine will still be utilized.