Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 12:09
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Questions for LCers w/ PCOS

Hello ladies,
My best friend has PCOS and I recently suggested that she try LC because of what Dr. Atkins says in his book about the disease. She didn't want to try Atkins, but she saw something on TV about the South Beach Diet and has decided to try it. My first question is: Which LC diet has helped your PCOS the most? (I'm worried that South Beach might not be LC enough to help her and she'll give up.)

My friend is not trying to conceive, she just wants relief of her symptoms. However, when I was trying to conceive my son last year I belonged to the list "ONNA" and I remember many of the list members there had PCOS and it was a terrible struggle for them. I didn't know anything about Atkins back then, but now I'm wondering -- could it really aid conception for women with this problem? Have any of you experienced this?

I'm sorry if these are nosy questions & I hope I haven't inadvertedly said the wrong thing. Since starting this WOE I feel like I'm sitting on a gold mine and, if it will help, I'd like to share it with those I care about.

Thanks,
Rosa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 125/115/112 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Rosa, I think it's great that you are concerned for your friend... I had been on maintenance level low carb woe for about 12 cycles when we conceived...

PCOS, as I understand it, is when your body does not respond correctly to insulin... The high insulin levels can prevent the ovary from releasing an egg, making it very difficult to get pregnant...

The high insulin also causes your body to produce testosterone which is what causes the additional symptoms of PCOS... Stuff like excessive hair growth...

By controlling your body's insulin production and keeping it at a steady level, you are also controlling your body's testosterone production which helps control the symptoms that come with PCOS...

Insulin resistance can also lead to other conditions such as heart disease and diabetes so keeping your insulin production under as much control as possible is always beneficial in the long run (as well as the short run)...

As for what diet works the best for me, I can't say... I just follow general low carb guidelines and keep an open mind about aspects of each plan... Certain peoples insulin production is triggered by completely different things than other peoples insulin production, so it can be just a trial and error type of thing... Some people can live off of 80-100 grams of carbs per day and their glucose levels remain normal, others have to reduce their carb intake further... It's really something that depends on each individuals chemical makeup...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 18:36
13.5 pounds to go!

Plan: GF, Mod. Carb
Stats: 375.5/163/160 Female 66"
BF:60/28/24
Progress: 99%

Just thought I'd let you know that I run a yahoo group for women with PCOS who LC diet. MANY of the women who were TTC by using the LC diet, either alone or with Metformin (glucophage) have been successful in getting pregnant.

MOST of the women on the group use the LC diet to relieve symptoms, either with or without Metformin.

Best of luck to her, have her look up PCOS_Low-Carb at groups.yahoo.com if she's interested in learning more

Karen
PCOS.net
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 21:20

Plan: NeanderThin, Atkins mix
Stats: 131/127/127 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello,
For me, with my PCOS I try to eat the lowest carbs possible. I'm on Atkins and I'm very close to the Induction level and have been for six weeks. I range from 20-25 net carbs per day. The one variance from induction is that I eat nuts and some berries. And I've felt fantastic doing this. I have no blood sugar swings. I fear adding any more carbs because I know what my reactions to them are.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 21:22

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

I follow the Insulin Resistance Diet and eat about 50-70g carbs a day. I have had no problem losing weight.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 22:48
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Tink, you look beautiful! Congratulations on your soon-to-arrive sweetie-pie.

Karen, I will definitely pass that info on to my friend.

Thank you again!
Rosa