Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 11:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Ketosis/Weight Gain/Induction or Phase 2?

I'm really bummed out that I'm not losing more. So far I lost 4 pounds but gained 2 back and I've been on the diet 3 weeks now. I finally bought some test strips and I'm definitely in ketosis.

Is being in ketosis a guarantee that you will lose weight?

I'm also at a point where I'm not sure whether I should move to phase 2 or not. I thought I would see a lot more weight loss on induction.

Last edited by Phantomess : Fri, Apr-14-17 at 11:36. Reason: Adding info
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 12:44

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

"Is being in ketosis a guarantee that you will lose weight?"

No. It's a good position to work from however.

Keep On Keepin' On!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 16:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I've stayed in what is considered induction for years. I believe others do this as well. Don't feel you need to rush through the phases of Atkins. When I first started, I was so used to a carb heavy lifestyle that I wondered how I would survive being a strict low carber. After a few months of adaptation you realize one day that you don't miss the stuff and that the need to eat frequently is gone. I finally made the decision to stay in what was equivalent to induction full time. It's been a few years now, and I don't miss it at all. I can go on a long trip in the car and not worry about the need for frequent meals or snacks. It's liberating! Enjoy the journey at your pace.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 17:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Phantomess, this often occurs at the 3-week mark. Your body is trying to equilibrate and balance fluid levels, but if you keep at it the weight will start falling off again; often a big whoosh comes in week 4-6.

After five tries at moving up the Atkins ladder I found and confirmed that 35g net is my critical carb level for losing & maintenance. But that puts me on the edge of hunger & food obsession, a scary place to be, so I've found that staying at induction levels is easier.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Apr-14-17 at 17:36.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 17:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Thank you both for your encouraging words. I'm definitely keeping at it!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-15-17, 05:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You also just recently corrected the errors made in the first 10 days. So first be sure you are following the induction diet, limits on cream, cheese, no wine, nuts, etc. correctly and give it time.
Then if still no weight loss, check the tips on DietDoctor https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight. Or the Tips ad Stalls forum here (you are not stalled!) but maybe a tip there will help you. There is no reason to move beyond induction, the clinic I used was 20g Total Carbs until at goal. Depending on your insulin resistance, health goals, etc it may be best to stay at the level, many do.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-15-17 at 05:24.