Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 10:22

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Feeling low blood sugar-ish

I've been doing low carb since May, have lost almost 30 lbs. but lately feel like I've got low blood sugar - jittery, dizzy.. just general shakes.

Especially in the morning when I first wake up, then about mid day - between lunch and dinner. It makes sense it's low blood sugar, since it's in a "fast" type of state.

But why, and what should I do for it? What's best to eat when I'm in that state? If I do a web search, I get "drink sugary drinks" but that's no good.

Sorry if this has been addressed, I just can't figure how to search the forum for this.

Thanks,
Meredith
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 11:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

What might have changed "lately"? More coffee, more stress, any food changes?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 19:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Low salt symptoms can feel like low blood sugar. Try 1/2 tsp salt (ideally half potassium salt) in a glass of water. If you don't feel better, then you may need more carbs.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 20:06

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey Meredith, have you actually tested your blood sugar when you get these feelings? It's fairly inexpensive to get a starter kit from Walmart or Amazon. I have no idea what it might be and always wondered what low blood sugar felt like. I'm not sure I've ever experienced those symptom but I've asked other at work, "what does it feel like when you're hungry?" and some report those symptoms as hunger.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-12-17, 21:09

Plan: Atkins, LCHF
Stats: 275/138/165 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 125%

Kroger sells a blood meter for 4 bucks. House brand, and the strips are separate. But for about 11 dollars you can have the whole shebang. Blood meter and strips (about 7 bucks); the meter comes with the test fluid and some starter lancets. They just want to hook you but somebody is going to when you start checking your blood sugar... might as well go with Kroger brand.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 09:20

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 236/220/185 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Yep. I think it's a salt issue... I remembered feeling like this early on, and that's when I started with hymalian pink and potassium. Then for some reason stopped. {head smack}

Lately, in addition to feeling poorly, I've had tons of Charley horses. Duh. Took a teaspoon of salt mixture twice yesterday and feel much better.

But I think I may pick up the blood stuff. It's a good thing to check, right? Is that a good way to see if you are on track regarding Metobolic resistance?

I'm tweaking so much, I'm all over the place. I'm not gaining, but not losing well. Very slowly now, and I've got awhile to go just to hit my (high) goal. Going by national suggested for my height (5'9") probably 50+ more to lose.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 09:30

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

"I'm tweaking so much, I'm all over the place."

I get that way too sometimes. when it happens, I slow down and stop trying to "fix myself" in a hurry. There is no hurry. To clear my head I just concentrate on one or two things that I think are important or interesting to try and do those. Currently I've dropped all sweeteners and PUFA oils - we'll see what happens. If you need some accountability or want to record stuff one place we're doing it is here. Others have interesting observations on what they are working!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=473718
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 11:50

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I had to start taking potassium because I needed it a few months into this. I had the same shaky symptoms and dizziness to.
After forgetting for a couple of days, I had a really bad charley horse the other night and had to get out of bed and stand up to make it stop.
Since the over the counter is so low at only 100mg I had to get a prescription from my doctor which is about 750mg, still only about 1/3rd the daily requirement.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-17, 12:34

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

You might be low in magnesium, too. Get the chelated kind, or soak in Epsom salts. Great for charley horses!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-17, 23:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I doubt it's low blood sugar.

FBS fasting blood sugar may be in the low 100's if on low-carb and there is a thing called "Dawn Phenomenon" I have it. Checking later in the day mine is always below 90. If getting cramps it's likely an dehydration/electrolyte issue.

Walgreen's sells "electrolyte water" I make my own using their empty bottles: 1/4 tsp Morton's salt substitute KCL, 1/4 tsp Sea Salt NaCl, 1/4 tsp Epsom Salt MgSO₄ and a pinch of baking soda NaHCO3 to taste.

In these hotter Texas Summers, while in keto it's been a lifesaver more than once.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Jan-14-17 at 23:25.