Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-16, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default My Ketostixs are DARK, yet no weight loss???

Not sure why I'm not seeing any noticeable weight loss. I'm eating correctly and staying at or near under 20g of carbs. Lost of protein and fat consumed. Sticks are turing moderate to dark for almost a week now, but no much movement on the scale or in clothes fitting better (which I know can also be a sign).

Advice needed
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-16, 19:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%

1 week ??? I was stuck ~ 219 from atleast before july 25th to atleast after sept 6th.
That after I went from 237 to 219 from June 1 to July 25th.

Your body could be losing fat but replacing it with water. Then depending on how much you have lost, you could lose several pounds in a short time. I went form 219 on 6th to 204 on 23rd.

Thanks.
Srinath.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-16, 21:35
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Under "books read," you have put N/A, which always raises a little red flag for me, because if you haven't actually read any of Dr Atkins' books, you may well be making some fundamental errors. Information from the net, particularly from the current "Atkins" site, differs rather dramatically from what the good doctor wrote during his lifetime.

So, for example, are you eating any "fake food" such as bars, because they are notorious at slowing or stopping weight loss.

My suggestion to you is that you tell us pretty much what you are eating, and we can go from there. And it wouldn't hurt to get hold of one of Dr Atkins' books either, one written before 2003.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-16, 22:10

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi. Try to be patient. Slow and steady is what works.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-16, 08:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. Another point: you barely have any weight to lose. Ketosis does not always equal weight loss, especially at a normal weight. If it did, we'd all die of starvation once we hit maintenance.

We ladies are supposed to have a good layer of fat on us. If you are determined to circumvent that and have a model bod, it takes genetic luck, workouts and/or anorexic/orthorexic eating. Sad but true.

Best of luck.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-16, 08:25

Stats: 145/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. A few clarifications. I have previously read Atkins book, so I am bit familiar with the process. I am completing my second week of induction, but it took a week or so to really get my ketone sticks to turn a dark shade.

Items on my general menu (varies from day to day)

Scrambled eggs - cooked in butter
Bacon - found some uncured with no nitrates
chicken salad - baked chicken, mayo & chopped celery
chili - ground beef, can diced tomatoes, diced green peppers & onions
hamburger wrapped in iceberg lettuce w/ yellow mustard
steak
shrimp - cooked in butter and garlic
some cheese, but only a cube or two a day
pork rinds
salad - dressed with either olive oil/red wine vinegar or blue cheese
no wine or other alcohol - BIG wine fan, so this one is hard
decaf coffee
crystal light lemonade with seltzer water
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-16, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%

That is a great diet. Only question is - what is in the salad.
Celery is 1 carb pre average stalk, not bad at all. Green peppers 2.2 for 1/2 cup and onions are 1.5 for 2 tbsp. Overall its good, just make sure your're adding them all right. Lettuce is low, but escarole is very close in taste and even lower, almost 0 carb.
And with 15 lb to lose, you cant really expect big weight loss. Or you'd turn into a toothpick.
You're likely replacing fat with water. Being not much over your correct weight, you probably are losing fat very efficiently with a correctly working insulin sensitivity etc etc, and just as efficiently replacing it with water. Wait till your body gets the idea that the fat aint coming back.

Watch out for symptoms like tight socks now getting loose, or tight rings getting loose. You tend to lose weight from the extremities first.

Thanks.
Srinath.