Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 19:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 271/271/145 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:
Default On induction, no weight loss; no common mistakes!

First off let me say this isnt round one. Round one i lost equivalent of just under a pound a day in two months.
Started back again and i have been in keytosis since day two, 3 weeks ago.
I have lost nothing but money and time.

And what i mean by common mistakes is those click me blogs that regurgitate the same info. Not necessarily wrong, but not right for me.
Calories round one was theough the roof, not so this time.
Carbs are between 18 and 20.
Keytosis day two and dark purple on the stix by day 3.
No more or less active than round one.
No more or less water than round one.

How can one litterally be burning fat for energy, consistently, regardless of intake, still not lose ANY weight or actual fat!?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 19:52

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

SouthSea, this thread explains very well why you may be losing fat with no change in the scale yet.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-16, 21:18

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I think the problem is that you think things will be the same as Round 1, and they probably are much different.

I don't know your circumstances, but I'm on Round 3. Round 1 was easy, but I gained back all the weight I lost because I let success get to my head. Round 2 was completely different, and I barely lost more than a few pounds under 20 carbs and in very strong ketosis -- that was incredibly frustrating, and unfortunately, I gave up. Now, on Round 3, my strategies are completely different and I have to ignore my previous rounds. I think my previous rounds, and everything I did in between, strengthened my insulin resistance and made my fat cells very reluctant to give up their fat. It's not fair, but that's just the way it is.

Not everyone has to do this, but I've had to incorporate intermittent fasting and lower my protein intake. This has led to 50 pound weight loss, but I still have many stalls and stops -- it's quite a battle.

I suggest reading through as many posts as possible to get a sense of what people have done to move forward with their weight loss. What works for you will be unique to you, but know that many of us have been at this frustrating point. But, also, many of learned what works for them and have lost significant weight. It is possible.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 08:36

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Kat has it exactly right... the first time is much easier because it was new. This time, your body "knows" what to expect. It has done it before, and now is more resistant.... the human body did not evolve to easily lose weight, or we'd be dead as a species.

You must remember... LC is not a diet but a life change. You cannot go back to your usual diet after you lose the weight, or the fat will come back, usually with interest.

What are you eating and how much? Are you tracking food intake on a program like FitDay?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 10:55
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wonder how many years passed between round 1 and round 2?

There are lots of things that can make weight loss really tough: medications, NSAIDs too, alcohol, thyroid issues, hormones, aging, chronic medical conditions.

Quote:
And what i mean by common mistakes is those click me blogs that regurgitate the same info.

That's not terribly useful info for us. What are you eating/drinking?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 15:20

Stats: 271/271/145 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Thank you everyone. My apologies i cant reply all as this is a very quick reply. Pardon typos

No years have past. Only a couple of month between round one and two and 6 months or so between two and three (current).
I am eating eggs, steak, chicken, lettuce, pork rinds, cheese (sharp mostly), bell pepper and yellow onion(chopped and cooked in wih eggs), sausage, bacon, green beans, broccoli, pork chops, tuna, pickles, celery, sometimes ranch dressing on salad, ground beef.
Only drink water. No tea or flavor additives. Literally, only water.
To reference the blogs, they all cite what i can answer no to. Too many carbs, nope. Cheating, not once. Drinking aspertame and others, nope. Alcohol, nope. Almonds/sunflower seeds, nope (however i did on round 1 and 2). Not sleeping enough, actually true (i have near death nightly sleep apnea), but strangely i sleep and feel better since day two!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 16:02

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Hmm.
What were you doing between rounds two and three? Were you using another "diet"? Did you gain weight in that time, or stay the same?

You say you are not eating as many calories this time as in round one. Should you be?

Finally, are you wearing your cpap?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 17:02

BF:

Hi Julia. It sounds like you had your initial significant weight loss and now your body is stabilizing and you should soon see more. Your foods sound good. Make sure your portions are reasonable and don't have too much protein vs fat. Have a look at my link earlier and be patient and I am sure you will have success.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 17:15

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccat69
Hi Julia. It sounds like you had your initial significant weight loss and now your body is stabilizing and you should soon see more. Your foods sound good. Make sure your portions are reasonable and don't have too much protein vs fat. Have a look at my link earlier and be patient and I am sure you will have success.

Was this meant for me? If so I'm good, but thank you
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-16, 18:16

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Are you eating skinless/boneless chicken, or whole chicken? Fatty meats or lean meats?

You don't need to add a lot of fat if you are eating fatty meats. But if you are eating mostly protein, and not much fat, that could be stalling you, too. Try adding some fat. If you count grams of things other than carbs, try this: stay under 20 grams of total, not net carbs.

Keep your grams of protein equal to your grams of fat, and you'll have about the right ratios. Herb butter on a steak. Have fatty bacon with your eggs, that sort of thing.

Calories are not what you need to cut. It's the carbs, and, to a certain extent, the protein.

But here's the bottom line: losing weight on any WOE is not linear. Over time, you can find an average per week, per month. But the average can mean 4 pounds in one week, and none for a month. That AVERAGE is a pound a week. Doesn't mean much, if you are stressing over the other weeks in the month, does it?

Measure. If you don't have a tape measure, you can get one at Target, Walmart, any fabric or hobby store. The size of your waist, hips and tummy are a better indicator of fat loss than your scale.

And learn patience. It's the virtue I have the least of, but, boy, I have had to practice, practice at it!

My average, over the past three years has been less than a pound a month. But what else am I going to do? On a higher carb WOE, I lost, keeping strictly to the plan, 5 lbs in 3 years. That's less than a pound per six months.

This WOE isn't for a short time, and back to the carbs. It's for good. Because it's the carbs that made us so hungry. It's the carbs that gave us achy joints, feeling crabby, behaving like Pavlov's dog whenever we smelled fresh bread or popcorn.

Keep to it. Learn more about IF, see if it's helpful for you. And be patient. It really helps, and it's really necessary.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-16, 14:18

Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSea
First off let me say this isnt round one. Round one i lost equivalent of just under a pound a day in two months.
Started back again and i have been in keytosis since day two, 3 weeks ago.
I have lost nothing but money and time.

And what i mean by common mistakes is those click me blogs that regurgitate the same info. Not necessarily wrong, but not right for me.
Calories round one was theough the roof, not so this time.
Carbs are between 18 and 20.
Keytosis day two and dark purple on the stix by day 3.
No more or less active than round one.
No more or less water than round one.

How can one litterally be burning fat for energy, consistently, regardless of intake, still not lose ANY weight or actual fat!?

Am I reading this right that you are eating many fewer calories this time? That might be a reason. If they were 'through the roof' andyou were losing a pound a day....
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-22-16, 11:10

BF:
Default Oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaR
Was this meant for me? If so I'm good, but thank you

Sorry, Julia. No, I meant SouthSea.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-16, 20:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 20+IF
Stats: 238/186/147.5 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Very inspiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by katmeyster
I think the problem is that you think things will be the same as Round 1, and they probably are much different.

I don't know your circumstances, but I'm on Round 3. Round 1 was easy, but I gained back all the weight I lost because I let success get to my head. Round 2 was completely different, and I barely lost more than a few pounds under 20 carbs and in very strong ketosis -- that was incredibly frustrating, and unfortunately, I gave up. Now, on Round 3, my strategies are completely different and I have to ignore my previous rounds. I think my previous rounds, and everything I did in between, strengthened my insulin resistance and made my fat cells very reluctant to give up their fat. It's not fair, but that's just the way it is.

Not everyone has to do this, but I've had to incorporate intermittent fasting and lower my protein intake. This has led to 50 pound weight loss, but I still have many stalls and stops -- it's quite a battle.

I suggest reading through as many posts as possible to get a sense of what people have done to move forward with their weight loss. What works for you will be unique to you, but know that many of us have been at this frustrating point. But, also, many of learned what works for them and have lost significant weight. It is possible.

Your story is very inspiring (in your sig) and you share my son's birthday.
Thank you, hope to get some serious learning in this forum.
Thanks.
Srinath.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-11-16, 15:43

Stats: 310/295/240 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress:

I am in the same boat. It's round 3 for me. As usual, I lost 5kg very fast, but now not loosing anything at all. I had a big break between rounds, twin pregnancy etc, so, maybe, my body needs to readjust. I will continue for some time more, but, if no results, I will have to do some changes, maybe some intermittent fasting as katemeyster suggested. My twins started to walk and I am desperate to loose weight because I feel like I am not capable of caring for them now when they are active and I am huge.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-16, 08:44

Stats: 318.6/256/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 38%

The first two times I tried Atkins, I only lost 10-12 lbs in the first week on Induction, and then nothing at all for the rest of the month. It was so frustrating! So the third time, knowing I have insulin resistance, I did his Fat Fast (in his book) as he recommends for people with insulin resistance, and it totally worked and jump-started my weight loss. I switched to his Modified Fat Fast after four days, and lost 50 lbs in just a couple months. It has slowed down since then, but as long as I stay on MFF or Induction, I continue the downward trend. Maybe you could try that?

If you're not willing to do that, try cutting out cheese. I have heard that works for a lot of people.