Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 08:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%
Smile How I look to myself

This is not a rant, just a vent. The bathrooms in the place I work have full length mirrors. they all seem to reflect different images. Before I decided Atkins was truly my WOL, I would avoid the mirrors that made me look heavier and depended on the mirrors that gave a more postive "thinner" image of me. Now, I walk into any bathroom I am near, whenever I feel the need and face that mirror. I found that I can see progress in any bathroom mirror I decide to check myself out in. Sometimes I look thin, sometimes I look fat, either way, my clothes fit better and I feel a lot better. I finally get it! It's how you feel about yourself. Self esteem is a real gift. Accept it, learn to say thank you when someone gives you a compliment. Love yourself how you are now. It feels great.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-12, 12:42

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

I too avoided mirrors and believed that it was best to look critically at my flaws when I did look in the mirror but what I have begun to understand is that being positive about yourself and having a good self-image is a much better tool.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 17:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/147/110 Female 164 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

Wonderful words! I agree that we shouldn't fear mirrors and accept our body the way it is. There are things you can't change - and those you should accept and there are things you can actually change - and with those it just takes a bit of will power. I don't really believe in beauty standards, those are just as volatile as fashion, what I do believe in is feeling good about yourself and being healthy.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-12, 09:56

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

I also avoided having my picture taken and I regret it now. It always looks like DH is on vacation by himself

That too is changing!