Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 10:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/180/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default I failed again!

So, of course, I have done it once again. I couldn't help myself. lol I ate a bowl of porridge (cream of wheat with milk, honey and butter. just a small bowl, but a bowl nonetheless) with my kids. I knew I shouldn't, but I thought, "whatever". I now regret my choice and am back to square one. What would you all do? Keep eating carbs? Keep staying away from them? It's been 3 days, which in all honesty I didn't think I could make it that long, but I did. I almost certain I didn't lose any lbs, but I wouldn't know that for sure because I don't have a scale. Seems like I load up on all this protein every time I try to live this way, then in the end I mess it up anyway... Not sure I can live like this long term. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 18:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hey, I just want you to know that I have had a hard time with this issue too. Knowing I am sabotaging. Myself but doing it anyways. All I can say is that you just have to find that place inside of you that wants to so it for you and because you love you. I find that when I try to do this for anyone but me I always fail. I'm just starting out after a few really hard years and it took me many tries. I would strongly suggest some councelling. I think that is what finqlly made such a difference for me . I also know.how hard it is to be around food you shouldn't have when you have kids. It's hard to make seperate meals and to not just eat leftovers!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 19:24

Plan: LC Paleo
Stats: 211/177/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Get the most tempting stuff out of the house and ask everyone else to not bring it in or put in a designated spot so you aren't as tempted. Clean up the kiddo's food too. Not low carb necessarily, but real food. This is what has to happen for me to stay on track, I can't deal with feeding everyone else stuff I don't tolerate. Beside the fact that it doesn't hurt anyone to eat more real food and less processed crap. It's a journey, not a pass or fail exam.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 23:23

BF:

We eat a super healthy organic diet, but grains like brown rice and stuff like sprouted spelt bread is still not good for me! But I agree with you raven!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 17:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Read Wheat Belly and you'll never think of grains as "healthy" again.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 21:02

BF:

will do, thanks for the tip!
just looked it up and my tiny town has a copy in the library! sweet!

Last edited by GreenFern : Thu, Jan-05-12 at 21:24.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 21:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Read Wheat Belly and you'll never think of grains as "healthy" again.

I don't believe Davis has an axe to grind against grains besides wheat, does he? Yeah, I read the book, but quickly.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-12, 21:16

BF:

we rarely eat wheat actually. spelt yes. we have a grain grinder so we grind fresh local grains when we want them.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 08:06
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

'dangerous grains' is a good book to read to put you off all grains for life.

Lee
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 16:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
I don't believe Davis has an axe to grind against grains besides wheat, does he? Yeah, I read the book, but quickly.

All grains raise insulin, so he's not a fan, no. The "diseases of civilization" occurred no matter what grains they chose.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 16:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The first thing to do is to stop looking at everything as "all on" or "all off". It's one meal you messed up. You have as many opportunities to succeed as you give yourself. If you say "one screw up and that's it" then you won't get much accomplished in this life.

Get up, dust yourself on, pick up where you left off. Most importantly, learn something from the experience. Why did you mess up?

Do a better job of planning how you'll deal with these things, like make sure you've got something to eat you really enjoy eating that is on-plan, and you won't have to rely on will-power so much.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 10:14
Registered Member

Stats: 204/180/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I didn't stop, I'm still doing it and I plan on sticking to it for the rest of my life, so no more stops even if I do fall down. Thanks! I also put that book Wheat Belly on hold from the library, have done some online research. I'm pretty sure that my weight is related to eating too much carbs after looking back I see I was mostly a vegetable eater before.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 16:50

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 227/215/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I have a hard time when I "mess up" also...I can do great for months, but as soon as I let my guard down and have something that isn't good for me or "off plan"...that's when my mind kicks in and tells me that "well you already messed up today, might as well have some other bad item too and start over tomorrow" Which in many cases have lead me to use the same insane logic the next day...because you messed up yesterday, so start new next week.... craziness!!!! Anyhow..just letting ya know you aren't alone with the crazy self sabotage
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-12, 17:24
Registered Member

Stats: 155/147/110 Female 164 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

Don't let a small setback make you think that you are not strong enough to do this! So you "messed up", we all do, no matter how motivated we are and how much will power we have. I'm glad to see that you're sticking to the plan and that you're maintaining a positive attitude. It's not about never failing, it's about knowing how to dust it off and keep going.

Good luck and keep us updated!