Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Which Atkins book?

I read one years ago when my mother did Atkins and I want to buy the book. I've seen posts around the internet and it seems that there are a couple of editions out there? Which one is the "right" one?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-16-17, 14:15

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I have all of them, but for the diet prefer the 1972/73 version; the 1973 paperback just added his speech to the Senate committee that was attacking him after the 1972 hardback came out. My second favourite is New Atkins for a New You (2010) by Eric C. Westman, Stephen D. Phinney & Jeff S. Volek, which goes back to the original Atkins (1972) diet of real food, but adds salt to the equation and new research. The 1990s & early 2000s versions of Atkins allow some fake foods and suggest ways to eat more carbs, but they led me to hunger and cheating.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 05:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

A common question asked before, comments from many members about their favorite editions on this thread.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470115

You can also check your library, you may find the 2010 and 1992 editions, Atkins cookbooks, etc. Why We Get Fat is another good book to check out, the simple clinic diet in the back is based on what Atkins actually used in his clinic.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 12:29
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 260/240/142 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hello! I'm a hedgehog type who has been falling off the Atkins wagon since .... well the first lc book I read was the paperback version mentioned by Deirdra. I still consider it to be the cornerstone of my WOE. However, the idea of the "net carb" isn't included and is the only important new information that impacts what I choose to eat. (no need to mention the issues of chemicals and other additives, right?)

JEY100, that's an awesome Churchill quote.

Last edited by Hedgey : Mon, Apr-17-17 at 12:35.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins
Stats: 260/240/142 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 17%

Did I mention that I bought the 1973 paperback in a bookstore where it was new?

Showing my age!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-17, 18:09

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I like the first and second ones best...and they are different in certain ways. I got the first one (1972) used on Amazon, something crazy like 50 cents, and it even had the original dust cover on it (hardback). Dr. Atkins was very chatty in his writing throughout the book, and I learned a lot of things from his comments. In the 1980 edition, a lot of the earlier comments weren't there any longer, but there was different information because he had been refining his ideas on the LC process since the first edition. And the 2000 edition was also different. I ended up with about 4 versions including one of the newer ones, and I learned from all of them. BUT....I like the first two early versions best in terms of how I eat and the foods I choose. The early versions were much more simplistic, and also did not use the shakes, bars, etc., which I don't like at all. I just stick to "real" and basic food choices as outlined in the two earliest books. For me, simple is better. Fewer food choices is also better and it makes things much much easier.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-20-17, 14:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 223/208/150 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I know I'm way late on this, but thank you for your responses. I ended up ordering the newest one. Years ago my mother had the original and I read it when I was maybe 20 years old. I'm going to order that one to read it since is actually written by Dr. Atkins, I would like to read his own words.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 02:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The New Atkins for a New You, one that actually has New in the title is 2010. I like that one for the science and much of the net carbs have to be "foundation vegetables", so not a lot of room for products.
The newest new edition from the Atkins company is Atkins Made Easy published in 2013. When they started offering frozen meals and diets in a box in the US, they wrote another book to include a menu with many frozen meals, bars and shakes...the "Easy" part was almost all products and many people have problems losing weight with them. But even within that 2013 edition is an alternate menu of all real food that looked good and followed a more typical older Atkins plan. None of editions of the Atkins book will steer you wrong if you limit the products, but it is fun to read the editions he wrote himself.