Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 14:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/176.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:38.8%/34.4%/25%
Progress: 54%
Default on the go foods- induction friendly

question for anybody, my habit has not been one of overeating and snacking its been one large meal a day and "car" foods like sunflower seeds and carb loaded other snacks to stay awake during my 3 hr commute (one way) to work. I have still been doing the sunflower seeds as they help me stay alert, hot tea with the sugar free mix or plain tea. I work nights and have to do this commute average of 3 days a week. a different job is not the solution, wages keep me there.
I am trying to eat 3 times a day start with a atkins shake with snacks being a bit of cheese or smoked salmon or some fresh veggies. trying to stick to under 1000 calories and less than 20 grams of carbs, (i have been more like the 10-15gr carb range for the most part) also doesn't help that I am hypothyroid and my metabolism crawls. suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 16:32

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Can you clearly state your question?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-17, 22:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF, VLCHFLC
Stats: 375/270/225 Male 6ft 0in
BF:Nope I'm Straight
Progress: 70%

I used to be a truck driver and snacking to stay awake can be a Bad but nessasary habit. But I have to say that you can move past it and into health. These are some suggestions but they may not work for you.

1) if you are already used to one meal a day why not try intemittent fasting.

2) Pork rids or nuts can help. When I was a trucker when I had to go thorugh what is know as the bewitching hour I always had gum to chew. the chewing did more than the calories

3)when you are in ketosis your body will not tire as quickly. so try some magic bullet coffee when you head out and try to have some fat when you are returning.

Best of Luck to you
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 06:04

BF:

Wise advice Tim, sorry if I don't understand the question. About the only thing I've eaten while driving are pork rinds and they are too messy so I generally don't eat and drive as a habit.

When there was fast food on the menu, I ate and drove almost every day! There has been a big change. It is possible.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 07:12

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 141/132.6/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi! Keep it up!

One thing that helps me is the right containers. Seriously. I go to T.J.Maxx and buy a brand that "snap locks" and seals divinely. Because I walk to work everything goes in a backpack.

I used to have to drive up north a lot and packed snacks that made sense. So, ham roll ups with a little sliver of pickle and cream cheese can lay flat. Open them and put them on the seat and eat them from the container...sometimes I would put a piece of paper towel on the bottom of the container so there isn't dripping happening.

Almonds are good. Small amounts of cheese too. Mini cukumbers. (They have 1 g of carb each)

Read up on the Atkins treats/meals/shakes as some folks have had tough times with them.

Bacon is a divine snack. Especially wrapped in lettuce with a tiny splash of mustard to hold it together. Wrap in wax paper like a burrito.

Check out Pinterest! That is also a huge help! Good driving to you!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 07:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Have you tried listening to audio books on your iPod or phone? My commute was only an hour but listening to the books on the way made the trip a good one.

Your calories are way too low. Being hypo your body needs to be fed nutritious foods and if you keep your calories so low you will be losing on nutrition and you will guarantee your metabolism will stay slow (I've been hypo for 16 years now).

How are your thyroid levels? Is the doc testing TSH AND FT4? The mean TSH for healthy people without slow thyroid is 1.5 but some docs are happy to keep ours higher and then wonder why we don't feel 100%. FT4 should typically fall in the middle to upper portion of the labs range.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 08:40

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Other than the calories being a bit low--are you losing weight doing this? Are you hungry eating this way? If you're stalling--sunflower seeds aren't really strictly an induction food. If they aren't stalling you, maybe it's okay to just keep them at their current level, if it's not broke, don't fix it. I do think a bit more food makes sense. Also if you are hypothyroid and as a result of that really do need to eat less than 1000 calories if you're going to lose weight, has your thyroid condition been properly addressed? Is your doctor on board etc.?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 14:27

thanks for all the advice everyone. I have been hypothyroid for the past 27 years and i'm on replacement and yes get tested and my levels are normal.
My question was what others maybe use to snack on that won't up my calories and carbs, snacking is part of my staying awake when I drive 6 hrs in a day. Its particularly hard when I am up all day, dive 3 hrs work 8 and have to drive 3 home.
So far i have not stalled out eating the seeds, but have just been back at this since 12/30/16.
as for the calories. I know that when I take in much more then 1000-1200 then I stall or gain weight. I am active at work and at home I run a horse rescue and also gentle mustangs so I am always outside doing something physical, still the inactive hours of driving is not good I know.
I am wondering if maybe my age/hormones will affect my progress as well. the old menopause is hinting its pending arrival lol
well I work tonight so time for 5 hrs of sleep before the evening feed, horses first, then me!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 15:43

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Olives
Rolled-up cheese, turkey or ham with a vegetable (can spread butter mayo or mustard on the Roll-Up)
A piece of cheese
A boiled egg
Babybel cheese or similar small pack. Trader Joe's has a small snack pack of salami and cheese slices.
Mixed nuts
Sausage: Cut it in pieces, add a piece of cheese and stick a toothpick through them.
Vegetables, plain crunch or with dip if not too messy
Cream cheese rolls: Roll some cream cheese in a piece of salami, prosciutto/cold cuts or around long slice of cucumber.
Parmesan cheese crisps: you can make these yourself, but Costco has Whisps which are great and stay crunchy forever. Maybe the crunch keeps you awake? Trader Joe's just started carrying the same this week in my store..it was on new item shelf and in a smaller bag than the Whisps.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 22:59

Plan: LCHF <20g
Stats: 206/182/170 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I'm so glad you mentioned the Whisps Janet, just Googled and my Walmart has them (I'm pretty far away from many of the stores I like - Costco, Trader Joes).

Last edited by 1DogDay : Tue, Jan-24-17 at 14:28.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 23:13

BF:

Just an idea that hit me, if you are simply doing it to stay away, perhaps you can take up a gum chewing habit. I use to chew a lot of gum. Maybe get some sugar free varieties with intense flavors.

Eating food to stay away just doesn't compute in my brain for some reason. that's a bear of a commute, I hope you find a good solution and I wish you well!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 14:17

I think that the snacking keeps me awake because its a stimulus , trying to do veggies and cheese but don't want to exceed the carbs and calories which i am finding is the main problem. I have started drinking hot sugar free lemon tea which gets me through a third of the drive, will try the pork rinds but again its the calories i don't want to add too much
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 16:10

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I used to eat to stave off boredom when driving long distances - usually carbage. I also used to snack constantly while watching movies. For the movies, I generally drink water or herb tea. For driving, I make sure I've eaten a good meal before leaving & have plenty of water on hand. Whenever I have a long drive, I stop every couple hours & walk around the car & stretch. I also listen to cds - comedy or books. That will usually keep my mind off snacking.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 17:20

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

I often do sunflower seeds on long drives, and I agree that they help stay awake. Plus it's better than coffee since I don't have to stop to pee.

Try eating them one at a time! I found I was actually getting kind of a "salt burn" from having a wad of them (I took some long road trips). So instead I keep the bag open on the seat next to me, and just pluck out one seed at a time. Then just crack and separate like a bird.

I'd say a mix of coffee, seeds, podcasts, and silence would be the trick. The variety will help with wakefulness as much as the efficacy of any one activity.
(and get more sleep, obviously )