Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-16, 16:51

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Tired after eating

Hey fairly new on here. I am Adkins 72- but still get so "carb" like sleepy after eating is this normal?
Been on Adkins under 10 for a year- this is not new- but wondering if anyone else has this
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-16, 05:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have more energy than did as a carb eater and continue to do so after six years.
Are you eating enough fat and getting enough salt? Without those you may feel weaker and have less energy. Your profile indicates that you have not read an ATkins book; the 2002 program is good and right here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482
The 2010 NANY book and program includes more vegetables and better explanations why the fat and salt are important for energy.
Also consider not eating so very low carb that you don't get macronutrients from vegetables. Know there are zero-carbers who do fine without any, but my doctor requires at least the basic three cups as used in the 2002 induction and his similar Duke clinic program. It reads "Salad greens and non-starchy vegetables MUST BE EATEN EVERY DAY, but the amount is limited", which is hard to do restricted to 10g carbs.
Only as to why you may be tired unless you have a medical condition, you might want to see your doctor. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Dec-19-16 at 04:28.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-16, 21:20
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

A couple hours after eating?
Could be "reactive hypoglycemia" easy enough to check for with a meter. I used to get it when doing IF -- wiped me out for a short time. Feels a bit like "carb coma."

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource....poglycemia.html
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-16, 02:46
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have that problem, too, to the point that I avoid big meals early in the day and/or at work. I heard a theory that after a large meal, your body has to increase circulation to your stomach and small intestine. It leaves less blood and oxygen for your brain and the result is feeling sleepy. I have no idea if that's true, but I guess it's plausible.

I have a rule of thumb that I'll never eat a meal off a dinner plate unless it's close to bed time. During the day, my meals have to be sandwich-plate-sized with the exception of salads, since greens are mostly water.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-16, 06:49

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
A couple hours after eating?
Could be "reactive hypoglycemia" easy enough to check for with a meter. I used to get it when doing IF -- wiped me out for a short time. Feels a bit like "carb coma."

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource....poglycemia.html

Mike I am a near zero carb person. can you give me an idea of your meals for the day. just curious. I am also the type, don't eat the grains, you don't need the greens. love that!
THANKS
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-16, 22:50
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
Mike I am a near zero carb person. can you give me an idea of your meals for the day. just curious. I am also the type, don't eat the grains, you don't need the greens. love that!
THANKS
Right now I am on sort of a Protein Sparing Modified Fast [PSMF] regime. I aim for ~80 grams of lean protein a day, limit nuts and dairy no fruit, Fish twice a week OK. I don't eat breakfast, just coffee w/cream and two Brazil nuts, then have main meal around 2 PM or later.
Meat market in a nearby berg makes real beef jerky (no preservatives) so I rely heavily on that if I need something simple and quick. For veggies I occasionally bake a sweet potato or steam Brussels sprouts w/butter to snack on. Before all this my mainstay was fatty beef, bacon, eggs, liver, salmon and beef 'sweetbreads.' I found with a lot of fat calories and little exercise I was slowly gaining -- used to work anyway, but not anymore!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-24-16, 10:56

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Janet mentioned salt, but I wanted to emphasize its importance since this diet is dehydrating and you need at least 1 tsp per day (assuming you do not suffer from high blood pressure), especially if you are eating no processed foods. Personally I go for "half salt" to get potassium with my sodium and take magnesium before bed. These three elements are key to proper electrolyte balance and energy levels. Salt is the one thing that Atkins '72 did not mention, but New Atkins for a New You (NANY) emphasizes. When I first read it, I measured out my day's salt and carried it around with me to ensure I got enough until I got a feel for how much I needed to add to each meal or water (2-3X more salt than I was accustomed to using). I went from "induction flu", where my arms felt so weak and heavy that washing my hair was exhausting, to fully energized in ~30 minutes. It made me realize why I found V-8 juice to be enlivening - the salt, because the vegetable nutrients can't work that fast.

Salt helps increase blood volume and pressure. Low blood pressure can feel a lot like low blood sugar (weakness, dizziness). As mentioned, blood flow is directed toward the gut after eating, so if your blood volume and pressure are low due to your diet and lack of electrolytes, the rest of your body will feel it.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Dec-24-16 at 11:06.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-16, 06:21

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Right now I am on sort of a Protein Sparing Modified Fast [PSMF] regime. I aim for ~80 grams of lean protein a day, limit nuts and dairy no fruit, Fish twice a week OK. I don't eat breakfast, just coffee w/cream and two Brazil nuts, then have main meal around 2 PM or later.
Meat market in a nearby berg makes real beef jerky (no preservatives) so I rely heavily on that if I need something simple and quick. For veggies I occasionally bake a sweet potato or steam Brussels sprouts w/butter to snack on. Before all this my mainstay was fatty beef, bacon, eggs, liver, salmon and beef 'sweetbreads.' I found with a lot of fat calories and little exercise I was slowly gaining -- used to work anyway, but not anymore!

Appreciate the info Mike.

I also am in that same boat. alot of fat calories and little exercise....luckily I am not gaining at all but I am not losing my last lbs. at all either. I want to hit goal and I find I am in that same position.

I am meat only. with maybe a side salad when out and about and can't get meats (or ones I don't want). But at home I rely on bacon, eggs, ribeye, pork ribs. All the heavier meats which was wonderful to lose in the beginning has now stalled me out a very long time. I think cutting fat kcals is my approach now also. Back to allowing in more lean meats, tuna, sardines etc. in place of so many ribeyes

Thank you for that info tho cause I am happy to see someone else kinda fell into this and you fixed it tho!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-25-16, 07:29

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Wow what great thoughts. I don't eat anything processed. So I am wondering if it's a fluid salt thing. I do however eat a lot of uncured bacon
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-16, 22:50
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirrlly
Appreciate the info Mike.

Thank you for that info tho cause I am happy to see someone else kinda fell into this and you fixed it tho!
Yeah, I just got back down to 180 today, haven't really increased exercise or lost any strength due to the modified fast. 170? not sure I can get there, I was 165 five decades ago

Oh, and blood pressure is down as well. May not need meds or as many -- High BP runs in my family but not heart disease.

Last edited by mike_d : Tue, Dec-27-16 at 22:55.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-29-16, 04:00

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have recently added tinned sardines and tinned mackerel, fresh mullet and fresh mackerel fish for the Omega 3 fats.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-16, 11:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/175/155 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

by under 10 do you mean under 10 carbs? You may need to eat more veggies and take a multi?