Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 12:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/210/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Thanks Seejay I hadn't thought about that.
Hi vpeach, that sounds like a good idea. I'm glad I'm not alone! I'll look into it xx
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 15:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnew
Checking my BMI I am classed as obese, I'm 5'6" and 210 however I don't know whether I look it. I accept that I am overweight but obese sounds like more.

I fit average UK 14 clothes, no-one has made weight comments, including my doctor? My waist to hip ratio is 0.77.

I nurse in A&E therefore I am very active, my arms and legs have a fair bit of muscle on them due to the nature of the job.

Just want to ask others if I look obese?
hello rcnew, Welcome aboard . Another nurse here, although my specialty is Intensive/Critical Care, not Emerg. I wish you all the best on your lowcarb journey

You might find some encouragement in the gallery photos posted by member "anyway...". Check 'em out . She specifically used the same room and other features to prove that there were no "photoshop" or other edits to her pics; they were all 100% as is. She looked leaner and better at 183 lbs with lowcarb and resistance/weight lifting exercise than she did at 145 lbs with a low fat, low calorie diet.

Truly, the number on the scale doesn't represent the whole picture.

Best,

Doreen
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-14, 15:17
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Okay so .. here are the vital pics from anyway...'s gallery ..

#19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-18-14, 20:51

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

Weight is so funny. Don't trust it. You look fine.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-14, 09:24

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

I don't want to be patronizing but I think you're asking the wrong questions.
You're a nurse, so you know that obesity is simply a medical term. You can be a lot of different weights and be classified as "obese"
It really has nothing to do with looks.

It sounds to me like you do want to lose some weight, which I definitely understand.
I'm personally not happy without how I look right now.
So I wish you the best of luck with that, but whether or not other people think you look obese really should not be something you worry about.
What does it matter what a bunch of strangers think?
Most of them really don't care about you that much, they're more concerned with their own lives and are worrying about their looks...their receding hairline, their wobbly thighs, the fact that their doctor also said they're obese.
Even the ones that have opinions about how you look, so what?

What ultimately matters is what you think about how you look.
I know it's hard to internalize, but it really doesn't matter what size other women are. You aren't them. You're you, and, the same weight, say 210 lbs, can look very different on two different people due to underlying skeletal structure and body composition (like you mentioned, you're fairly muscular because of your active lifestyle).

Last edited by s-piper : Wed, Feb-19-14 at 09:35.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-14, 11:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ignore the labelling! "obese" is a medical description, but it is an ugly word with all kinds of negative connotations. On a related note, I wonder sometimes if the healthy weight charts are a little low for some people - My husband is very muscular, and can't possibly weight as little as they recommend without turning into a stick. My daughter is built much the same way and is torturing herself over being "so fat" at 145 pounds because some chart says she should ideally be 120.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-14, 11:38

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
hello rcnew, Welcome aboard . Another nurse here, although my specialty is Intensive/Critical Care, not Emerg. I wish you all the best on your lowcarb journey

You might find some encouragement in the gallery photos posted by member "anyway...". Check 'em out . She specifically used the same room and other features to prove that there were no "photoshop" or other edits to her pics; they were all 100% as is. She looked leaner and better at 183 lbs with lowcarb and resistance/weight lifting exercise than she did at 145 lbs with a low fat, low calorie diet.

Truly, the number on the scale doesn't represent the whole picture.

Best,

Doreen

That is AMAZING! I would totally have pegged her as "thinner" in the second pictures. wow.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-14, 15:02
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

I agree with, 2thinchix! Wowza!