Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 11:20

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%
Default Don't know what to make of cholesterol tests

I know a lot of people say don't worry about cholesterol but they also usually say that an lc diet improves cholesterol readings, but has not in my case apparently. At my year's check up my doctor made concerned noises (statin!) and I made unconcerned noises (never!) but looking at the whole picture, what should I think?

LIPID PANEL:

DATE:........CHOL...........LDL(calc)......HDL........NonHDL.....TRIG

7/5............232.............. 161..............44 ............188..........133
10/22.........208...............145..............41 ............167..........112
1/4............218...............145..............44.............174...... ...144
5/24...........257...............190..............49 ........... 208.......... 89

I'm diabetic and not really contemplating not doing lc. (A1c was 14.1 last July 5, and 5.1 this April and I've lost ~80 lbs. )

I've read that hypothyroidism can raise LDL and I have Hashimoto's but am on no medication as tests indicate no hypothyroidism according to my internist. I tried NutriMeds thyroid anyway just to see if I might not feel more energetic or something with thyroid supplementation, even in this uncertain form, but felt terrible after 3 days (awake all night, heart palpitations) so I guess he was right.

I'm not really overly concerned about heart disease per se as my blood pressure is normal now and I had a stress echocardiogram last fall prior to surgery (for cancer) and the cardiologist, who was a man of few words, said my heart was "good" and I didn't have to see him again for 5-6 years. Other lab tests all year were ok, other than blood tests when I was anemic at the tail end of chemo.

I guess I'm just disappointed that my HDL is still so low after a whole year and my LDL is rising.

Or could this actually be a good sign? In this article written by Dr. John Briffa, http://www.thecholesteroltruth.com/...ncrease-the-ris, he concludes "there is more than a little evidence that low cholesterol levels might cause cancer" perhaps through its association with Vit D. (I raised my Vit D levels from 36 to 78 last fall/winter). About statins he says,

There is some other evidence that low-cholesterol might cause cancer in the form of a study which found the combination of two cholesterol-reducing drugs (simvastatin and ezetimibe) over four years was associated with a significantly increased risk of cancer. When the results of three studies in which simvastatin and ezetimibe were used in combination were analysed together, they revealed risk of death from cancer was raised by 45 per cent.

45%! I'm really getting sick of having to second guess my doctors.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 13:45
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, at least you know that a statin is of no use to you, as you're a woman.

We've seen people lower their cholesterol by taking natural thyroid meds in place of synthetic. I've never heard of nutrimeds. Maybe just a very small amount of T3 would help you along with the synthetic T4.

Ah, it sounds like Nutrimed is a supplement. I wouldn't trust that as a test, especially if you were taking it along with your other medicine. Try switching to Armour thyroid or take some Cytomel. They are prescriptions, not supplements. Who knows how precise or controlled the supplement is?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 13:55

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

I remember reading that your calculated LDL goes up when your triglycerides are under 100. It has to do with how the LDL is calculated. So that might be a reason why your LDL increased. Your HDL also increased, so though it might not be at the ideal amount, you seem to headed in the the right direction.

I can't comment on the thyroid/cholesterol connection as i don't have any clue about that, but I say keep up what you're doing, and definitely NO statins!

Congratulations for losing 80lbs and dropping your A1C levels!! I hope this also means you've beat the cancer.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-12, 14:40

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
We've seen people lower their cholesterol by taking natural thyroid meds in place of synthetic. ...

Ah, it sounds like Nutrimed is a supplement. I wouldn't trust that as a test, especially if you were taking it along with your other medicine. Try switching to Armour thyroid or take some Cytomel.

The only med I take is Metformin for diabetes. My doctor said I was not hypothyroid, even though I've got a lot going on with my thyroid (had an ultrasound and then biopsy that showed nodules, "vesicular lesion", cysts, etc) so he's not likely to prescribe anything. He said the TSH ("normal') is a very sensitive test and when I asked him about T3, he said it can fluctuate greatly in a short period of time so as a test is meaningless.

I tried the Nutrimeds, just to see if I felt better. If I had, I was going to press him for more tests. I know a supplement is not the same as prescribed meds, but the info on the site (which I went to from Stop The Thyroid Madness, btw) owned up to that and said that they were trying to provide for people who were unable to get a scrip but might be helped by their product. My mother sent me an article from her paper where a doc from the Mayo Clinic was railing about the fact that people could get supplements online that contained some actual thyroid hormone; I figured that was probably the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkclouds
I remember reading that your calculated LDL goes up when your triglycerides are under 100. It has to do with how the LDL is calculated. So that might be a reason why your LDL increased. Your HDL also increased, so though it might not be at the ideal amount, you seem to headed in the the right direction. ...

You're right about the calculated LDL and triglycerides. I found some great info on Low Carb Friends http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/c...rol-primer.html According to this poster, who appears to have done a lot of research so people like me don't have to:

Quote:
The ideal ratio of Total/HDL is 4.4 for women and 5 for men.... the ratio of your trigs to your HDL will indicate whether your LDL is small and dense (bad - Pattern B) or large and fluffy (neutral - Pattern A). A larger number indicates smaller LDL particles and a smaller number indicates larger LDL particles.

The ideal ratio of Trig/HDL is 2 or below. 4 is high. 6 is "danger!!" This ratio indicates the level of risk for heart disease...

The ideal ratio of LDL to HDL is 4.3 or lower. ...The ratio of LDL to HDL is considered to be a marker of carotid plaque, or how much plaque you have built up in your arteries.

My ratios are pretty much the same using both equations:

Total/HDL: 5.24 (ideal = 4.4 or below)
Trig/HDL: 1.81 (ideal = 2 or below)
LDL/HDL: 3.67 or 3.87 (ideal = 4.3 or below)

So, much less bad than I thought except for my HDL being so low which still a bit of a puzzler as to why it hasn't increased much.

Quote:
Congratulations for losing 80lbs and dropping your A1C levels!! I hope this also means you've beat the cancer.

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with my weight loss effort through the last year I've had. And after all that I went through (surgery, radiation and chemo (for endometrial cancer) I too hope I've beat it!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-12, 21:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's '72
Stats: 323/247/223 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

The typical cholesterol numbers are useless as a predictor of heart disease risk IMO.

If you could only look at one thing in order to gauge heart disease risk it would be the actual (not estimated) number of Apo B particles in your blood plasma. 90-95% are LDL particles and the more there are, the worse off you are. 2000 nmol/L of LDL-P is in the 95th percentile and would be considered a high risk of atherosclerosis. 1000 nmol/L is the 20th percentile and is much healthier. Under 1000 nmol/L would be considered the healthiest.

Most current Lipo panels only measure total cholesterol, triglycerides and HDL-C. LDL-C is estimated.

Health Diagnostics Laboratory (HDL), Inc. directly measures Apo-A1 and Apo-B particles as well as LDL and HDL particles per liter. VAP (vertical auto profile) tests, which is a common test that doctors use, do not directly measure actual LDL or HDL particles. They have a formula that they use to estimate Apo-B but from what I understand that formula has never been validated and it's never been published in a peer review journal.

IMO I would get an Apo-B particle or LDL-P test done before going on any drugs. Make sure it's directly measured and not an estimate. If it's high then you'll have to address it. If it's within a good range then ignore what the other test says.

Here's some 'light' reading on the subject.
http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/...lesterol-part-i