Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 04:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Kris, It has been a few years since you posted. I would suggest you first read some of the stickies and recent threads in both this cholesterol forum and the diabetes forum to catch up with latest information on what markers are important and the side effects of statins. There have been new videos made which clearly explain why eating low carb will benefit both triglycerides and blood sugars. If your niece eats a high carb, high sugar diet, remove all the obvious sources of sugared drinks and juices, sugared cereals, candy and breads from your house first, and then look to remove other higher carb foods as needed. You won't know how much the high trigs are familial or diet related until she eats low carb for a period of time.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45. Read back in the Diabetes forum, there is a new video how to cure T2 diabetes. The word cure was controversial, but if your niece can lower her blood sugars now then she may never have the diagnosis.

This one page explanation of a low carb high fat diet has a simple description of how sugar and starch impacts insulin, with five videos with basic information. With an 11 Year old, the best thing you could do to help her is follow the "Clean out your pantry" list here:
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf.
I hope these help and you return to Low Carb for both your health and hers. All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Aug-22-13 at 06:14.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 22:24

Plan: General
Stats: 228/200/140 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your reply! Right now I need the kind of encouragement you gave me! As I stated......I have fallen off the wagon but can assure you I am back with a vengeance, knowing her latest lab reports has now shown me it is not just for myself. My husband also has RA and have read much about how a LC lifestyle may help with the inflamation and flare ups he experiences. I expect some tough times ahead, he does not eat veggies, my niece and him both like their ice cream, pasta, chips, etc. I just won't have them in the house anymore though. Myself, I just plain like FOOD. Sandwiches, fast food, potatoes, yada, yada, yada. Then again the whole family is constantly on the go, busy, busy, busy. One excuse for all the fast food. Well, life is about to change for all of us! Am rereading the stickies, new posts, looking up recipes, restocking the pantry, figuring how to do LC on a budget, etc etc. The rest of the family will follow my lead (and since I make most of the meals, will eat what I serve!) so I hope to write again and report on improvements we have made. Wish us luck! Any advice or opinions on HOW lowcarb to go with her would be appreciated. Since I consider her prediabetic but also has the high triglycerides I have concerns about pushing mainly meats and veggies but limiting fruits, dairy, nuts etc. Not sure the guidelines are the same for a growing child as adults. I know their is information on these boards somewhere regarding that so will look for it. Thanks again for the encouraging words, WE ARE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-13, 02:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have read many stories of improving RA symptoms with lowcarb, especially giving up all wheat products. I had moderate osteoarthritis in the knees that went away after only 3 weeks, long before Losing enough weight to make a difference. Removing all sugar and starch from my diet reduced inflammation everywhere...skin rashes, joint pain, all gone. Look around the Wheat Belly website for success stories, lists of what products have hidden wheat, etc.
http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...-quick-dirty-2/
You will have to get creative since most pasta substitutes ARE vegetables...zucchini strips, cabbage or coleslaw mix sautéed, winter squashes, etc. You can put spicy tomato sauce and cheese on most anything veggie and make it taste good.

I had linked the DietDoctor site since that plan does not have limits on dairy, nuts and fruits. Just remove the obvious high sugar and starch processed foods for her. Here is another Healthy Eating plan good for anyone, with the science to back it up:
http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-eat-healthy/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Aug-23-13 at 02:56.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-13, 03:28

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I only get aching joints and muscles when I eat high carb junk - I'm not sure if its grains, sugar or starch that causes it and quite frankly, I dont want the pain or the symptoms back so I'll not bother finding out which it is.

My joint pain was only loosely diagnosed by a doctor several years ago - he said it sounded like arthritis and gave me pills saying I'd need to take them for the rest of my life, but that was just before I started Atkins 10 years ago. The next time I felt that pain again was a couple of years ago when I fell off the wagon, I almost overnight turned into a little old lady who hobbled around, my knuckles got big and hot and I felt old and infirm - I remember the stairs in the house became an issue, so I went back to Atkins. Within days, it all went and now I'm more agile than my 16yo daughter (who could do with giving up carbs!!!)

Jo xxx
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-13, 07:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You could get her genes tested at 23andme.com for $99 and see what form of the APOe gene she has.

Dr. Davis, cardiologist and author of "Wheat Belly", talks about hypercholesterolemia in his books.

I believe Dr. Malcolm Kendrick has written/video'd a lot about genetic hyper-triglycerides. Use this search on Youtube.com to see his videos.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-13, 10:27

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
"Some of the argument is that we need to treat children when they're 14 or 15 to keep them from having a heart attack when they're 50, and that's a pretty long lag time," he said.

Such a long lag time that it will be virtually impossible to ever figure out whether the intervention actually did any good.

And the mentioned dip in cholesterol during puberty... perhaps is a symptom of just how important the stuff is to a child during development.