Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 01:08

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%
Default losing weight and losing a friend?

i've lost 33 pounds since may and i think it's affecting my friendship with a specific friend. we've been friends for a few years and we were/are pretty close.

the thing is that before i started a LC lifestyle, we weighed about the same. we would complain about it, but never do anything about it. instead, we'd go out, eat unhealthy things and talk about what we should be doing.

i've changed and now i have a hard time listening to her complaining about her weight. i've worked hard and i'm almost half way to my final goal. i've told her that i don't want to hear it anymore. i try to give helpful suggestions and she yells at me. i try to tell her how much losing weight has helped me and how i feel like an entirely new person and she yells at me.

we used to be close. we used to talk just about every day and i have a hard time even bothering anymore. she's selfish and jealous. i guess i don't understand complaining for the sake of complaining anymore. i want to live my life to the fullest and being overweight wasn't allowing me to do that.
no one can make me go back the way i used to be even if it's uncomfortable for them.

does anyone else have experiences with friends who don't like the fact you are losing weight and living your life differently than before? i'm not even sure if my friend truly acknowledges that she feels that way.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 01:15

Plan: Primal
Stats: 478.4/248.0/228 Male 73
BF:28.9%
Progress: 92%

unfortunately when it comes to weight loss we have to want to do it and cant be pushed into it by others

its a difficult situation, for me i wont be around anyone that wants to sabotage me
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 08:27
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Perhaps she is jealous.
Perhaps she is selfish.
Perhaps she fears failure, again.
Perhaps she sees herself as inferior.
Perhaps she is scared.
Perhaps she feels weak.

Perhaps....

Perhaps now is the time to show her some compassion. It sounds as if your pain of staying the same became stronger than your pain of change. She has not arrived at that place yet. It's wasting your breath and frustrating you, making her angry...she will not persue the changes she needs to make on your schedule but on her own schedule.

Stop trying to change her. Stop discussing it. Walk silently. Lead by example.

In the end you may have moved past this friend, or in the end thru you example she will move forward to change and be grateful for your example.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 08:49

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Is it possible that much of your friendship was due to the fact that you were both overweight, and enabled each other? Now that you are no longer an enabler, and do not want to be enabled, much of the basis of your friendship is gone? If this is the case, you need to find a new basis for your friendship, or acknowledge that this friend was a friend for "a season," and not for life. This is not a reflection of your characters, it's a reality of how we relate to people. I wish you luck with this issue!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 08:58

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

It sounds a little like when one friend has a boyfriend and the other is the gooseberry! they can tag along, but your really not that close because your consummed with your new life. You haven't broken friends, but your busy with other things. You either live 2 lives, your low carb life and then being your friends friend. If she wants, she can join in. People do not want to be told what to do, just leave her to ask you how your doing.
Another example is when someone has a baby, all they can talk about is the new baby, nappies, breast milk etc, it takes another new Mom to appreaciate it... all her other friends are rolling their eyes. Do they hate their friend? NO, they just don't have that common ground anymore..... time changes everything.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-16-11, 01:59

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

i've considered the fact that we were bonding over being overweight. i do have a new life now and it involves keeping on top of things, so i don't fall back into old habits. this gets easier every day. i do think about it a lot and anyone who is in my life will hear about it, because it is part of my day. i want to share, but it must be hard for her. i can try to say less and see if that helps, but i worry the more and more that i lose... the more resentful she will become.

mostly, i don't want to hear her complaining anymore. she is like a sound clip stuck on repeat. negative, negative, negative. i want to hear good things. we can remain friends, but she needs to keep her negativity to herself when she's around me, because it stresses me out. she can do whatever she wants with her life, but i'm tired of her disrespectful attitudes towards me.

i guess only time will tell. thanks for your feedback.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-11, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Adkins
Stats: 221/199/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 43%

You know, any time you give up an addiction, especially one that has become woven into the relationships in your life, you will find all of the relationships changing.

I quit smoking pot with my first husband and his friends because it causd me to have asthma attacks (a REAL downer!)...and found myself divorced. That was in the 70's.

I quit drinking AND smoking (tobacco) in the 80's, and lost all of my friends because I couldn't go out and 'party' without longing for that beer and cigarette. I chose to go for a run or bike ride instead because it was that important for me to lose the bad habits that were affecting my health.

My eldest daughter recently discovered she was pregnant...right before a long-planned trip to Kansas City to watch the Boston Red Sox school the Royals with several of her friends. No way was she going to NOT see her Red Sox play...but several friends were miffed that she wasn't interested in doing the bar scene afterwards. One tried very hard to convince her that "just a few beers" wouldn't hurt! Needless to say, daughter won't be running with that bunch, even after Baby is born!

Treating your friend with compassion and understanding is a fine thought...but if Miss Downer threatens to affect the positive changes you have made in your life, I'd step away. You have worked hard to remove the toxic substances that were poisoning your body. Don't let a 'toxic' personality poison your mind and soul, and throw a major wrench into your momentum.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-11, 22:14

Plan: carnivore w/ IF
Stats: 214/000/127 Female 5 feet
BF:plenty
Progress: 246%

I feel bad for both of you guys, but maybe more for your friend because she has kind of been left behind and you are off towards better things, kwim? It seems like you're feeling hurt and angry without considering where her behavior is coming from. And I agree with what cnmLisa said about having a little compassion.

Otoh, I don't think you should let her treat you badly and just take it. When things get hard maybe you should call her on it and try to talk about what's behind it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-11, 05:22
Induction ≠ Atkins

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/164/180 Female 69 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraTea
we can remain friends, but she needs to keep her negativity to herself when she's around me, because it stresses me out. she can do whatever she wants with her life, but i'm tired of her disrespectful attitudes towards me.

Just to play devil's advocate, she probably feels that you are being disrespectful to her by continually trying to get her on board and talking about what you're doing when she's made it clear she isn't interested.

It sounds like it's time for a heart to heart about where you two are at, and how to fix it *IF* both sides want it to be fixed.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-31-11, 08:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
i've told her that i don't want to hear it anymore. i try to give helpful suggestions and she yells at me. i try to tell her how much losing weight has helped me and how i feel like an entirely new person and she yells at me.

This is probably the crux of the matter. Before you were probably non-judgmental, sympathetic, a good ear to unload onto. Now you've become evangelical about your new WOE and it just makes her feel bad that she isn't/can't/won't do the same.

If you want to keep this friend then you'll probably need to keep a lid on how fabulous you're doing and how wonderful your diet is. Find a new common ground to talk about. But the more you beat her on the head with it, the more she's going to react.

Just guessing, of course, but this issue could be 50% you. Something to think about.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-01-11, 20:02

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Look,friendship is about love, acceptance and support....my bestest friend. Diana..loved me fat. thin...l/c or s.a.d...skinny or fat..our relationship has ALWAYS been abt things way deeper than our appearance..over 20 yrs later we are exactly the same sz...embrace l/c.....but neither of us..badgered the other to get there.. we have always embraced the positive....the joy in our lives....and we have kicked each others butts when we were negative...disrespectful or arrogant..thats true friendship..IMHO
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 13:48

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
the thing is that before i started a LC lifestyle, we weighed about the same. we would complain about it, but never do anything about it. instead, we'd go out, eat unhealthy things and talk about what we should be doing.

Once upon a time; you were the same kinds of people, faced with the same problems... and deciding to handle them the same ways

That's not true any more. So unless there's another basis for the friendship; there's isn't any basis for the friendship.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-02-11, 14:14
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

I agree with most of what has been written. The point I wanted to make is that she is probably also afraid of losing her friendship with you.

Perhaps she feels that the "New" you might not want to be her friend anymore.

Maybe she needs carrying for a while but that is what true friendships/relationships are about.