Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 11:12

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%
Default Fitness fanatics who think they're experts on food and diet

There is a professional crosstraining instructor at my martial arts dojo who is also a fellow student. He knows the owner and holds crosstraining classes there as well as scheduled private workouts in the "gym" area off to the side of the mat. Body sculpting is his full time profession, so he spends hours a day working out himself.

Lately he has started a new "diet service" thing where for an additional monthly fee he sets up a custom diet plan, helps his clients monitor their progress and keep track of their weight. This man is not a dietician nor has he had any formal education in nutrition; but he looks toned and ripped, so I think people tend to assume he is a diet expert as well as a crosstraining expert. One of the other students, my friend "Gil" who has been training with him for a couple years started on his new diet one month ago and has lost additional weight. I casually asked about this diet and the crosstraining instructor said that he used to eat a "high protein" diet, but his new plan involves lowering the protein and upping the whole grains. He said "Gil" lost 20 lbs in one month on the plan.

I will give him credit for not trying to hardsell his diet plan to me nor has he ever mentioned my own weight gain.

I have to admit though that this new diet plan alarms me. It does seem counterintuitive that Gil could lose so much weight on a low protein diet that involves whole grains. OTOH here I am, 5 sizes overweight and just starting my LC WOE about 10 days ago, so I know my progress isn't yet obvious and I am still really fat. By contrast here's the fitness instructor and Gil praising a low protein diet and look how fit they are. How ridiculous would it be for me to try to tell them that they're on a bad path? It was exactly that kind of eating that landed me in trouble for 15 years before I tried Atkins in '03 and lost 50 lbs. (short story, went off plan and gained it back, now I'm committed that it's the last time I will ever have to lose that 50 lbs).

Am feeling very discouraged about the whole thing now. I think I have "diet envy" because it seems so unfair that I can't lose weight the way that Gil does on grains and low protein. Believe me I tried to do just that for 15 years so I know how futile it is. I can lose weight on Atkins, but nothing as amazing as 20 lbs in one month!

My fantasy is that I will lose that 50 lbs and finally be able to testify to these people about how great Atkins and the LC WOE are. This will take about 8 months however, meanwhile I am frustrated and dispirited that my looks will detract from the message if I said anything about it now. I hate shutting up about this and I do worry that Gil is going to have bad long term consequences following this diet plan.

What would you do in my place? And, how do I get over this envy hurdle myself?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 12:10

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

In your place, I would continue on with my chosen WOE and way of working out (WOWO?) and not say anything to the trainer or to Gil. I have discovered that some people do incredibly well on low fat, high carb diets...I'm not one of them! The only thing that works FOR ME is high fat, moderate protein, low carb. This might not work for Gil, or for the trainer...we are all unique, with unique metabolisms, appetites, addictions, and needs.

I feel your frustration and envy, believe me! But the only person you are responsible for is you...you know what works for you, even if it works slowly. You WILL reach your goal! Chin up, keep at it, and try not to begrudge other people their good fortune. You, too, will have good fortune!

Last edited by Sue333 : Thu, Aug-11-11 at 12:11. Reason: typo
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 08:09

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Thanks sue, you're right of course
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-11, 08:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

He's a dude. They lose weight fast. It's just one of those facts of life.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-18-11, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 392/289/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbug2
There is a professional crosstraining instructor at my martial arts dojo who is also a fellow student. He knows the owner and holds crosstraining classes there as well as scheduled private workouts in the "gym" area off to the side of the mat. Body sculpting is his full time profession, so he spends hours a day working out himself.

Lately he has started a new "diet service" thing where for an additional monthly fee he sets up a custom diet plan, helps his clients monitor their progress and keep track of their weight. This man is not a dietician nor has he had any formal education in nutrition; but he looks toned and ripped, so I think people tend to assume he is a diet expert as well as a crosstraining expert. One of the other students, my friend "Gil" who has been training with him for a couple years started on his new diet one month ago and has lost additional weight. I casually asked about this diet and the crosstraining instructor said that he used to eat a "high protein" diet, but his new plan involves lowering the protein and upping the whole grains. He said "Gil" lost 20 lbs in one month on the plan.

I will give him credit for not trying to hardsell his diet plan to me nor has he ever mentioned my own weight gain.

I have to admit though that this new diet plan alarms me. It does seem counterintuitive that Gil could lose so much weight on a low protein diet that involves whole grains. OTOH here I am, 5 sizes overweight and just starting my LC WOE about 10 days ago, so I know my progress isn't yet obvious and I am still really fat. By contrast here's the fitness instructor and Gil praising a low protein diet and look how fit they are. How ridiculous would it be for me to try to tell them that they're on a bad path? It was exactly that kind of eating that landed me in trouble for 15 years before I tried Atkins in '03 and lost 50 lbs. (short story, went off plan and gained it back, now I'm committed that it's the last time I will ever have to lose that 50 lbs).

Am feeling very discouraged about the whole thing now. I think I have "diet envy" because it seems so unfair that I can't lose weight the way that Gil does on grains and low protein. Believe me I tried to do just that for 15 years so I know how futile it is. I can lose weight on Atkins, but nothing as amazing as 20 lbs in one month!

My fantasy is that I will lose that 50 lbs and finally be able to testify to these people about how great Atkins and the LC WOE are. This will take about 8 months however, meanwhile I am frustrated and dispirited that my looks will detract from the message if I said anything about it now. I hate shutting up about this and I do worry that Gil is going to have bad long term consequences following this diet plan.

What would you do in my place? And, how do I get over this envy hurdle myself?

I call those diets hunger plans. The only way to succeed with those is to starve yourself. You lose some weight and then try to keep it off with chronic cardio but it eventually catches up with you and you get that pound creep that is so common in your 30's and up.

I like my "full" plan. I eat until I am satisfied and the weight is taking care of itself. Being thin will be just a great side effect of taking good care of my body, much as being obese is a side effect of eating things a human being was not designed to eat.