Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 11:25

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Atkins for Life kit - only £1.99!

I have just read on another Atkins support board that The Works has this for sale at £1.99, which seems a good deal to me.

https://www.theworks.co.uk/product.asp?cid=&pid=9784

No idea yet how useful it would be for anyone starting out on their Atkins journey as the book is more aimed at maintainers than for beginners but I think it will be a good extra resource.

On their website they let you search for a local shop which means saving on the postage, making it an even better buy if not too far to travel for it.

I found we have a branch locally so i think I will see if they have it in stock tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-11, 10:22

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well I bought it, a box set with:

1. A booklet that details:
30 days menus, with variations for daily carb counts of 45, 60, 80 or 100, which could be useful if you are catering for a family who are on different daily net carb requirements.
A carb chart which lists not only common fresh foods but many branded box goods, not so useful for UK Atkineers as many brands are not available over here, but might be of use as a guide to similar UK products' likely carb counts.
A Daily Carb Log, quite useful if you like just to keep a running total of net carbs rather than log your foods into one of the food logging sites like My PLAN here.

2. 100 recipe cards plus a set of 7 daily dividers so you could plan menus in advance.
I have not looked at these yet but they are grouped as "Appetizers and Snacks", "Soups and Sandwiches", "Entrees", Salads, Side Dishes, "Sauces and Condiments" and "Desserts"

3. Some out of date coupons (2004 expiry) for money off Atkins products in USA and Canada.

4. A concertina-style list made of stiff card called "Choosing the right carbs", listing quantities of foods in each OWL rung arranged in sections called "Eat regularly", "Eat in Moderation" and "Eat Sparingly".
This could be a handy reference to carry with you once in Maintenance phase as it is quite conveniently sized to fit in a pocket or handbag.

5. A tiny fold-out page called "Dining Out" listing suggested good options to order in various styles of restaurants, French, Italian, Chinese, Indian, Mexican and Thai.

6. A set of cards titled "Staying on Track: Tools, Tips and Techniques for Lifetime Maintenance".
These include a brief summary of the 4 phases of Atkins, info about the importance of exercising, different types of fats, portion sizes, how to read labels, kitchen stocking and cooking tips and cards listing the "power of 5" and "power of 10" portion sizes of OWL.

7. A CD called "Staying Motivated" which I haven't listened to yet.

So I can see why The Works are selling them off cheap, they must have bought them by mistake or as a clearance line because they are USA/Canada orientated and out of date.

But for an Atkineer who has reached goal and moved to Maintenance phase I can see them being useful as an addition to their chosen Atkins book, especially if they have other family members willing to eat lower carb but not aiming to lose weight.

Last edited by Elizellen : Sat, Apr-30-11 at 12:37.