Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 10:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default How are you handling the holidays?

This question came up on another thread (the Longhaulers thread) and there were some good responses -- perhaps those who posted might copy them into this thread? I thought it might be good for each topic to have its own thread, so that things will be easier to find in the future, and to spur discussion.

Christmas is coming, the geese are getting fat. . . .(and, for Americans, Thanksgiving is just around the corner)

How are you handling the holidays? Do you have low carb versions of traditional foods? Are you anxious about Family Feuds?

(I don't have a family, so Christmas is just another day for me, and not a particular problem.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 11:35

BF:

Ruth had posted this in the Longhauler's Thread and gave me permission to quote it here:

This post is Ruth's, not mine

I've got some ideas on what to do/make for the holidays.

I've got some ideas on what to do/make for the holidays.

When going out:

Ask in advance what the menu is. Bring along whatever you need to supplement what the host provides that is LC. Example: I went to a wedding reception last weekend. The only thing on the menu I could eat was Ceasar salad so I brought a chicken broccoli salad (more like a cold casserole with mayo). The hostess was not offended at all - especially because I've already lost 45 lbs!. I'm very fortunate, the people in my life, both close friends, family and mere acquaintances have been supportive and gracious.

If you can't determine the menu in advance, eat b4 you go! I've done this a few times and it works beautifully. Then you won't be hungry & can politely nibble on whatever is low carb enough for you. "I'm not very hungry" is a good excuse if anyone notices you are not eating.

Things to make: have you checked out the recipes on the orange bar above? The Cool Cream Gelatin Cookies have been raved about. I'm going to make them soon. There are cheesecakes, etc to make for large crowds. Most any recipe can be made in individual portions in small bowls, cupcake liners, aluminum tart cups, etc. In the kitchen forum Karen has a recipe for Vancouver LC cheesecake (non-bake) that is fabulous and can be made ahead without it drying out. There are lots of recipes on this site & other sites. Try web searching 'low carb recipes'.

Appies: try to have appetizer type LC nibbles on hand. I posted a smoked tuna recipe, see it here. Serve it with pork rinds, raw crispy veg like cucumber rounds, cauliflower, broccoli, radish, etc (and carrots for non lcers) I'm thinking of warming it in the oven this holiday season for a hot appy. There are lots of holiday dips. Pepperoni slices nuked on parchment paper til crispy make a good dipper. Ditto for grated cheese. Devilled eggs.

I have a rep as a baker at christmas time. This year I'm going to be stockpiling some LC treats, both for me and guests.

Cook large roasts and turkeys. Use leftovers to make wraps with cheese, asparagus spears, etc.

Other handy excuses for not eating what is offered: I can't eat/ I'm allergic to ...... wheat, potatoes, sugar, etc. Diabetics like me have a built in excuse

My suggestions here are limited, there are more ideas out there. If I ever find the LC list that had a huge listing of LC snack/munchy type foods I'll post it.

Who else has ideas? Help me out here, folks.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 13:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Lost hyperlink

Ooops, not sure how the hyperlink to the Smoked Tuna Dip got lost when Alto copied/quoted the above post, but here it is:
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 16:32

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Sorry - replied to wrong THREAD! YIKES

Alto

Sorry about putting my replies to food for the holidays under the wrong thread. DUMB, Dumb, DUMB,

Can you move it to the right one for me???
I was not paying attention and my cat was jumping around the computer and I hit the key and oh well, you know the rest.

So sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.

A Thin me.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 16:48

BF:

A Thin Me, I'm not sure which reply you mean. Next time you're on the board, if you want to move them over here, just go in to the post where you put them, select them (highlight the text) and Copy it (probably Control + C). Then come into this thread, click the Post Reply button, and paste (probably Control + P).

It's not dumb at all This thread probably wasn't there when you posted.

Last edited by alto : Sun, Nov-11-01 at 18:03.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 17:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The best way to deal with it is to do it yourself!

The Vancouver gang were part of an LC THanksgiving party that included non low-carbers.

Everyone was quite content with the food. Even those "other" people! One remarked, "Wow, there's two kinds of potatoes!'

This was our menu...

• Pickled Cherry Peppers Stuffed with Prosciutto and Goat's Cheese
    Chai Spiced Nuts
    Tapenade and Cucumber Slices
    Pork Rinds

Roast Pork Shoulder with LC Gravy
    Cranberry Sauce
    Shepherd's Loaf Stuffing with Wild Mushrooms
    Roasted Daikon Wedges
    Braised Red Cabbage with Garam Masala
    Pureed Cauliflower with goat's cheese and Parmesan
    Spinach and Feta Custard
    Yellow & Green Tomato and Zucchini Salad

Pumpkin Chiffon Pie with Whipped Cream
    Chocolate Tofu Pate

And the great thing is that no one felt stuffed and ready to hurl like they do after the usual carby TG dinner.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-12-01, 13:04

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default What I have planned for Thanksgiving

Normally, I have about 20-30 people for dinner. I serve the usual, but this year, I am getting a break. No PEOPLE!!!!!

I will make a turkey and for once, not worry about the leftovers.
The usual foods for my family, ie. stuffing ( boo- hoo - my favorite) pototoes, cranberries and pumpkin pie. But, I will make sure that there is enough variety for me to eat, as well. Olives sound very festive and will be a special treat as I have not had any yet on Induction.

The pie will not be a problem - as I do not like pumpkin. Now, if it was chocolate, it would be a whole different thing!!!!

I think it will be fine. If not, it will be my fault and not a restuarants.

A Thin Me.