Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-03, 22:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 163/157/145
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default fibromyalgia and low carbing

Hello,
I'm new here and posted on another forum and someone was kind enough to send me here also. Wow what great information and a site for support besides.
I just started the Atkins diet about a week ago and have seen remarkable results from the chronic pain and fatigue. I have not been truly "diagnosed" with fibromyalgia but I work at a hospital and know that I have most of the classic signs and symptoms of the disorder. I have resisted going to a physician about it as I see all the patients that get standard medical protocol for this illness get worse over time.
I have had limited and short lived success with MSM, coral calcium, yoga, evening primrose oil, chondroitin sulfate. You name it I think I've probably tried it. I just pray that the ATkins diet success is not another short term success. Are there some long term low carbers who can attest to long term results? It would make the transition even more happy if I really thought this could be the true answer to many prayers.
I do not have a lot of weight to lose. I am mainly on this diet for my health. I would love to see a 15 lb weight loss but I would be willing to gain another 50 lbs if it would mean feeling good again, sleeping normally and having some energy again. I am afraid to hope again but I am starting to feel strong again. So glad to be here and find a little light at the end of a very long tunnel.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 07:57

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Welcome!

The last time I did low carb (yes, I went off like a dummy), I was on it for almost a year.

And I am happy to report that yes, my fibro was better. All my pain, the associated IBS, eye problems and sleep problems went away during that time. Even my chronic low back pain left.

And since I have been off, my fibro and all its symptoms have gotten progressively worse.

(P.S., I am having a very difficult time getting on it and staying on it again)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-03, 09:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Smoothing the path

Hi there,
Don't expect miracles from Atkins or other low carb plans (remember the golden rule "pick one and stay with it"!) but it can be one more tool for you to use. There are a few factors that make a low carb lifestyle a sensible choice for someone with FM or CFS. One is elimination of possible triggers and the other is stabilizing energy.

The average modern diet has a lot of junk in it and as Dr Atkins points out, following Atkins gets you eating fresh whole foods.
An important thing to look at for the FM sufferer is including Essential Fatty Acids. They are natural pain killers and since fat is not a dirty word here, you can explore their use without guilt.

The other thing that this way of life does is to smooth out the waves of disabling pain and fatigue. It doesn't eliminate them but it does moderate their severity. (at least in my experience)

The other thing that is important to me is the fact that I can keep my weight stable without intense exercise. To be honest, my CFS keeps me in bed or resting most of the day, and yet I am able to keep slim and satisfied. No more laying there hungry and miserable!

So good luck and welcome to the forum.

Colin
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-03, 17:01

Plan: 20 per day
Stats: 235/205/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 40%
Thumbs up

Hello,
Well, from my own experience I can tell you I am really noticing a lot of difference in the fibro. that I also suffer with. I have been on 20 or less carbs for almost 6 weeks now. I too decided to give this a try to see if it would help with the fibromyalgia. Yet I have gained a lot of weight this past year due to the fibro. Mostly from being so inactive. So weight loss is a priority to me as well. I am a firm believer that our healthiest is at our proper weight. I have dropped 24 lbs. at this point and am no longer lying around all day. Yet I am also taking prozac and now elavil for the fibro. and really concerned it might stall my losses. Along with the fact that I also take premarin! Praying not, yet I read this in the book just today. So glad I started before reading that!!! So what I am saying is stick with it a while and see for yourself if it helps you. Yes I still suffer, but not as badly and the brain fog has cleared up. My prayers are with you as you experiment for yourself.
Cissie
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 04:16
Registered Member

Stats: 180/168/155
BF:
Progress: 48%
Talking Patience is a virtue

Let's see where to begin, stage 4 Hodgkins disease 1989, Prostate Cancer and Fibromyalgia 2002, and a Stroke January 2003. Needless to say my health was not very good. I happened to run into a freind with a severe cardiac history, he looked great! He told me about Atkins and showed me his lab tests results. I figured what the heck I didn't have anything to lose (except weight) so I started it in late february this year. My muscle pain from the FM has subsided quite a bit. I'm now walking on the average of 3 miles a day, and my muscles don't scream as loud as the used to. I've dropped 22 lbs., and my lab tests are looking better all the time. I feel the best physically I have in many years. My brain is a tad fuzzy from the stroke but it could have been worse. So just stick in there for a while and things do get better.

Regards
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-03, 13:02
Registered Member

Stats: 311/291/160
BF:
Progress: 13%
Smile I feel better

I have found that I feel better. I do know that when I have fallen off of the diet and go back on induction that I am pretty miserable for a while. For this reason I am also checking out the candida.

Exercise helps a great deal too. When I am chronic I at least stretch and I get relief the next day.

Welcome to the forum.

#7   ^
Old Thu, May-08-03, 14:51

Plan: Suzanne somers
Stats: 237/232/170 Female 5: 6 1/2
BF:47.6/47.8/
Progress: 7%
Default hypothyroidism

LCing is important in healing our bodies. Along with supplements, exercise and for me thyroid hormones.. I found this link that might help to explain what FMS really is

http://thyroid.about.com/library/weekly/aa090897.htm

hugs Martha
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 16:47

Stats: 229/209/140
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Fibromyalgia

I saw this topic and have a dear friend also on Adkins who will be seeing a Dr. on Monday for Fibromyalgia.
We went to a seminar last Wed. on headaches and Fibro.
If any of you are interested in what he had to say his website is: www.beyondheadaches.com.
If any of you would like to know the outcome of my friend's visit ( and mine with my grandson's dyslexia) please let me know and I"ll gladly share with you.
Gail
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 18:56

Stats: 161/134/135
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi,
I have been on Atkins since July...recently added MSM to the mix.
I noticed right away that low carb cleared up most of the brain fog. When I added MSM, the feeling like a Mac truck had hit me every morning went away.
Now, don't get me wrong, I still flare, but now its only the pain of the flare, not brain fog and constant fatigue as well.
I am down around 30 lbs and feel way better than I have for many a year... I wouldn't say low carbing has cured me, but it has made life more tolerable. Instead of feeling ucky most of the time, now its just part of the time (usually when the weather decides to flip - either way knocks me into a flare). I keep waiting for 'the other shoe to drop' but so far, the combination is working for me...

--casuzen

Last edited by casuzen : Sat, May-17-03 at 19:01.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-18-03, 09:17

Default Hi, Casuzen...

I'm glad it is making you feel better. I wish I had an exact time of when I noticed all the pain was gone. But I think it was a gradual thing. It may have been when I went hiking and didn't suffer for days afterwards. That would have been about 5 months into the program and 10 pounds from my goal weight. I do believe that for me the thinner side of my weight range, the better.

I am 5'6" (although I just found out I have degenerative disk disease, so I won't be 5'6" for long) and believe that somewhere in the 120's suits me best as far as relief from chronic pain. Can't explain it, but just know its so.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 15:06

Plan: Atkins/Low carb
Stats: 187/134/134 Female 5' 7"
BF:15%
Progress: 100%

Hi there

I to am a Fibro suffer along with Degenerative disc disease. The Low carb wol has greatly decreased my pain and I am able to control it through diet. Most foods that trigger our pain aren't allowed on the atkins plan. I have been Low Carb for six years and my doctor is amazed on how well I'm managing my Fibro, he wishes other patients take an active approach to get well and not be active because of a disability.

I find that eating this way keeps everything in balance. I exercise daily and that is a plus. Never could before as I was too tired and overweight. I have more energy and can perform quite a few tasks. Good luck and welcome
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:14

Stats: 152/140/130
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default Fibro

Great to read all these tips. I've been keeping the fibro in check with light exercise through out the day, just keeping moving seems to help. I also take Vitamin C and E, Calcium, GS, and fish oil. Keeping my protien up (especially for breakfast) helps tremendously with the brain fog, even when I'm off the low carb diet.
I have 10 pounds to go, wish me luck
Mary
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 18:36

Good Luck, MaryMac!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 21:19

Stats: 155/145/125
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Same story

I also have suffered the symptoms for a few years and not bothered with diagnosis because as you said, the treatment seemed lacking. I have been on Atkins since May 2003, and for the first time in a long I can touch areas that hurt to bad before. I can actually get down on my knees, and back up without sever pain. I do not seem to get the headaches and was sleeping much better, BUT this isnt constant, I seems to go out the window when PMS rears its ugly head, then I get it all back, topped with severely bad cramping (something I had never had). Thats the thing that has been worse since starting Atkins.
SO I dont know that helps but thats what has happened to me.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/183/163
BF:
Progress: 57%

I feel better on the low-carb diet, but I also had to make myself get out and exercise. When it became apparent that I was becoming acclimated to the walking, I noticed that the leg muscles were not in as much pain and so I've taken up mild weight lifting with 3 pound weights. It may be the serotonin rush or whatever. I don't care. I feel better.

Keep moving!
Pepper