Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-12, 18:45

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%
Default Does Kruse know what he's saying?

What Denise Minger is to Colin Campbell, Melissa Macewen is to Jack Kruse. In her Hunt.Gather.Love blog, she's writing a series of posts (titled "Uses and misuses of evolutionary biology n, where n is a number) that critiques Kruse's statements about genetics, epigenetics, and what follows from those statements.

Many people will be tempted to dismiss this kind of critical evaluation, arguing that we should look at the results rather than the rationale. Society has a term for systems that get the results right but the reasons wrong: superstition. Most people in our society don't attribute rain to rain dances or prayer, donate blood regularly to promote good health (unless you have hemachromatosis), or prescribe warm milk for insomnia only because our mothers did it. Instead, we've learned to understand climate and predict weather (for 3 days at a time, at least), give blood to surgery patients and accident victims, and manufacture supplements containing tryptophan/5-HTP to get to sleep. Accurate understanding of phenomenon enables better living; mistaken understanding leads to rigidity and rituals that don't always work, but keep on being repeated anyway.

Check out Melissa's blog.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-12, 08:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

She gives some good food for thought. I would be concerned about not feeling my torso too. So far my forray into the 'cold' has consisted of turning the faucet to cold on my shower which isn't too bad or driving without the heat on in the car when it's in the high 30's or low 40'.

One has to wonder, it's not like these things can be proven, and some of the oldest human remains are found in fairly temperate areas.. like Africa for instance.

I think he may be on to something with the eating times and the advice to lower lights at night so one is ready to sleep. I know I feel better since doing this, though whether it is doing anything for my Leptin Resistance remains to be seen. I do sleep like a baby now.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-11-12, 10:07

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%

I agree, she wrote a good post addressing some of the things Kruse says.

I've never been a Kruse follower or devotee. His posts have always struck a "something's not right" chord in me, often due to internal inconsistencies or improper word usage or concept application.

I'm way too busy/lazy to attempt something like Melissa did, so applaud her for doing it, and doing it well.