Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 13:53

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 150/145/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default not enough calories/low appetite

Let me start off by saying that I am barely 5'1 and currently weigh 145lbs with a goal of 115 and a modest goal of 5lb loss a month (though I wont say no to more!)

"They" say my goal intake for weight loss should be around 1200. I have a wonderful phone app from myfitnesspal.com where I log everything I eat and it gives me the nutrition facts, and it is especially cool because you can customize your own nutrient goals instead of their standard high carb, low fat settings.

So it seems I am eating about 600-800 calories a day and am totally satisfied. ????? 600?? Everything I have ever heard (even in the "don't worry about calories" paleo/primal community) stresses getting enough calories, particularly from fats. And I eat a lot of fat and protein with a carb goal of 100% vegetable 20-25g.

I follow the more Mark Sisson approach of "eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full". With such high fat/protein meals, I am only hungry usually for two moderately sized meals a day, sometimes even less. On a day where I am just particularly hungry, at MOST I will get to 1000 calories, and I usually am not hungry the next day and kinda coast on that for a while.

Is this a problem? I do not like the idea of force feeding myself just to stay in a caloric range, I like listening to my body. However I know that sometimes the body gets accustomed to things, such as when you force your water intake up, eventually you crave water all the time.

Thoughts?

Edit: I'll add that I have started a body weight exercise routine of about 20 minutes every 2-3 days.

Edit again: I'd also like to add that I started 5/1 and the first week I lost 4.5lbs, and save for one day of eating high grain carbs (mothers day at an italian restaurant..), I gained 2lbs and haven't lost an ounce in 10 days of strict paleo. I'm worried the lack of calories may be causing the halt on weight loss

Last edited by sclarklmt : Tue, May-17-11 at 14:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 20:53
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Perhaps you're experiencing the appetite suppression affects of beginning an LC WOE?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-17-11, 21:37

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I totally support the "eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied" school of thought. If I were you, I would not track calories. Why stress yourself out? If you're hungry, EAT! If you're not hungry, DON'T!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 23:31

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 65%

I have blunted appetite from this WOE, and that's a good thing, I don't overeat like before. I completely agree with the "eat when you're hungry, stop when you're satisfied." I've finally learned what "satisfied" is....as opposed to being stuffed to the gills. Fact is, I never aim to have low calories but it often ends up that way. My total for today was 936, and that was just fine, why would I want to eat more?

My calorie levels used to be boosted to the high heavens by grain based foods, etc. How can NOT eating those useless foods be a bad thing, and why eat them just to boost calories?

Everyone probably thrives on different calorie levels anyway!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 14:49

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I noticed a week or so ago that I was only getting about 800-1000 cals. I had been losing and gaining the same three lbs for awhile. I upped my cals to 11-1200 and added in 5 more carbs and I have lost 2 lbs in the last week!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 18:17

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.4/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 65%

One thing I'm doing now that I didn't ever do previously, is I have my usual breakfast (eggs, bacon) and then 3 to 4 hours later I eat lunch, even though I'm not especially hungry then. I used to just not eat until dinner, and I'd end up with 2 meals per day, and then I think that led to some bad eating. So now I'm making myself have lunch (today it was turkey, deviled egg, celery stick, cheese). I think this is working out better for me because I get more calories than before.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 17:22

Plan: Need to research first
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I have noticed a big decrease in food intake. It's bothering me, like you, because I keep reading that I should be getting much more. I don't track what I eat, so I guess maybe I should.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 05:59

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 209/162/150 Female 168
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantonn9
I have noticed a big decrease in food intake. It's bothering me, like you, because I keep reading that I should be getting much more. I don't track what I eat, so I guess maybe I should.

Dont worry...most of us are not used to listen to our body and mind. We like to be in control, and the thought of eating when hungry/stopping when full is new for many of us. It surtenly applyes for me

When you "let go" of the worries..and eat when you feel like it you are giving the body what it wants , when it wants it

Dont worry! My calorie intake varies greatly..some days i get up to 2500calories, and some days 600calories.. But im doing great, and my body feels like appreciate that i listen to it and not overeats, or undereats..
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 08:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you want to eat more then raise your carbs just a little. Have some paleo friendly veggies.