Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 21:33

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Making Mesquite Flour

I have gallons of mesquite bean pods and am interested in making flour out of them. However, they keep jamming up my Cuisinart.

Does anyone have an idea of how to make the flour using non-paleo methods? Also, the seeds are very difficult (impossible) to seperate from the pods.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 22:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They make flour mills for grinding flours. maybe that's what you need?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 07:00

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by absinthian
I have gallons of mesquite bean pods and am interested in making flour out of them. However, they keep jamming up my Cuisinart.

Does anyone have an idea of how to make the flour using non-paleo methods? Also, the seeds are very difficult (impossible) to seperate from the pods.

I didn't even realize there were mesquite bean pods, I always thought of it as a type of wood that was popular for BBQ smokers. Anyway, like Nancy said; as well there are heavy duty blender/processors like the Vitamix that are more suited to that kind of application, but pretty expensive. Another option would be to try to find a hand crank grist mill, many home-brewers use them for processing whole grains; they look like a typical hand crank meat grinder, but I think they're more meant for "free flowing" grains, so they might not handle a bean and pod. What does one do with mesquite flour anyway?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 08:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I looked into flour mills briefly awhile back, I think some of them can make flour out of almost anything.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 11:20

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly
What does one do with mesquite flour anyway?

It's used mostly as a flavoring. According to the experts, you can replace up to 17% of the flour in your recipe with mesquite flour.

It has a strong fragrance that's reminiscent of cocoa and cinnamon with hints of mesquite wood. It smells heavenly. It is also naturally sweet and can replace part of the sweetener in a recipe.

Some people have created recipes that involve dredging a chicken breast in mesquite flour, but most just add it to their cookies, cakes, pancakes, and other things that none of us should eat anyway. Like all baked goods from non-gluten flours, things made from mesquite flour crumble and fall to bits when you look at them.

I've made muffins and pancakes of mostly egg, a little almond meal, and a little mesquite. They're good, but not brilliant. I think I just like opening the Tupperware it's in and smelling it best of all. Maybe I should put it out as little bowls of potpourri but it might make me crave cookies or something.

You can get a flour mill at kingarthurflour.com . I don't think they separate the seeds from the pods. I think they grind both together.

ETA: I think a coffee grinder would work better than a cuisinart.

Last edited by bike2work : Wed, Jul-08-09 at 11:27.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 11:38

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Check your local area for a group into natural foods to see if they have a mill for it. Here in Arizona the Desert Harvesters set up a hammer mill for mesquite and carob beans. I had a five gallon bucket of mesquite milled last year and ended up with a gallon baggie of flour. I use it in making flax meal muffins and gluten free bread. I substitute 1/4 cup mesquite for 1/4 cup flax meal or in the case of my bread for the garbanzo flour.

I think it makes the muffins and bread just a little moister and a little sweeter.

Just a note: it is a little clumpy so I sift it through my metal strainer and it comes out perfect.

Nutritional info I have on it:

2 tbs = 18 grams
68 cals
1.5 g protein
15 g carbs
5 g fiber
10 g total sugar
22 g sodium
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 11:46

Here is a thread with some experiences milling mesquite beans.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 11:51

By the way, the pods are ground right along with the beans--just wash and dry thoroughly and their ready for grinding.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 18:10

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 297/251.8/150 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hmm I had thought ir was way lower carb than 15 g/ 2 Tbls. Guess I don't need to worry about grinding them up after all. Thanks for the input everyone.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-09, 19:09

I deduct the fiber, which is undigestible. That makes 1/4 cup 20 carbs. Divide that by 18 slices and it adds just over 1 gram per slice.