Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 22:22

Plan: Schwarzbein Principal
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default Glucofast Anyone?

Gone for months, but checking in to see if anyone here has tried Glucofast. I've been on SP for a year, first lost 5 pounds, gained 13, lost 8, gained ten between Thanksgiving-New Years (!). Feel much better and stronger than a year ago, but no real weight loss! I could lower the carbs more, but am worried about losing energy (as I had last time I tried "pure Atkins" a few years ago.

Anyway, saw ad for Glucofast, followed link, sent it to my doctor. He's an MD but very nutritionally-oriented, thought the ingredients were okay, so I started two days ago. I've tried googling Glucofast to see what other users say, but just get dozens of references to their own ads. Saw a few chat sites mentioned, but very short-term (as am I!)

Anyway, sorry to be gone so long, but, like we have shared before, once you really get into this program, what more is there to do but to keep doing it! However, I can see from recent posts that I'm not alone in the slow- or no- weight-loss department. Those of you who have actually seen Dr. S., what does she say about this?

LessMom
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 10:47
Organic Lifestyle

Plan: SBP (Organic & Balanced)
Stats: 165/135/130 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 86%

My first reaction is to stay away from anything that has ingredients with long chemical names. The point of TSP is to eat whole foods, organic if possible, no artifical stuff. I would be careful. I've never heard of it.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 14:31

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/179/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Like Artic Cat I haven't heard about Glucofast either, but it's probably a radical change from regular, organic eating--so since you spent the money just do it briefly, or maybe not. What about using organic coconut oil to cook with? It acts quickly.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 15:50

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 235/000/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 276%

What do you mean about organic coconut oil? Please educate me!

(I've been lurking on this board forever...........)
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-06, 11:05

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for feedback. No chemicals in Glucofast -- just a range of ingredients from L-Carnitine to cayenne pepper (!). I've been on it close to a week now with no adverse reactions. I seem to be sleeping better (even with my husband's snoring!), though I don't know if that's related. I've lost two pounds, but don't know yet if that's related to the Gluc. or to natural fluctuations.

My interest in trying it -- i.e., why this and not any of the other stuff that is advertised on websites -- was because the claims on the website addressed something I'd been researching on my own. That is, that while I feel better/stronger/healthier on SP, I felt like my body was not doing anything to empty my fat cells! That I was just in a constant state of stasis -- using what I was eating, but nothing more, even though my calorie consumption is around 1,500- 1,800 per day. I'd been researching this on the web -- literally reading reports on medical studies of metabolism -- and processing it with my doctor. The concern is real, so since the information on the Gluc. website seemed to be addressing this issue, that's what prompted me to try it.

I'll keep you all posted! In the meantime, in reading your responses, there was an ad on the Low-Carb site for Wu-Long tea. Anyone tried that?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-17-06, 22:58
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%

LessMom, what sort of exercise do you do? Maybe building muscle would help boost your metabolic rate and burn fat, rather than needing to go o some sort of fast.
According to SP when you go on fasts, diets, overexcercise etc, you destroy your metabolism and end up gaining more fat weight than you wanted to lose in the first place.
I don't know what Glucofast is about or how it works, but maybe you could educate us a little?

Good luck and all the best !!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 07:41

BF:

Hi, Elizlea--
I was wondering what had happened to you! Seriously, I was humming Waltzing Matilda and thinking about matildas and billabongs and wondering if you were still progressing.

Less Mom--
I'm so familiar with stasis. I'm very familiar with gaining.

What's a novelty is the process of losing (again). My loss is so slow, that I figure it has to be permanent this time!

Queen Mab--
There is a high fat thread going here that you can look at. It's a pretty raucous group.

There are coconut oil sites on the web. (Of course, in order to sell you coconut oil they'll promise you the moon).
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-18-06, 18:45

BF:
Progress:

Hello again -- to Elizlea, Glucofast is not a fast, as in not eating. It's pills with supplements in them that are supposed to increase cells' responsiveness to insulin. You take them a half hour before eating. For more, just google it. Will check back soon on my progress.

On exercise, the good news is I'm doing something, if not as much as doctors would like (20-30 minutes per day). Some weights, some cardio, some pilates, lots of stretches (I always do those). Not all at once, and not every day, but I've been doing more over the past year, since starting SP. But for raising my HDL (current concern with doctors), I need to get up to the 20-30 minutes per day level.

To Santabarb --On fats, interesting to know about fat forum (I'll check out, if I can find it), one thing I've found helpful is to use the Atkins metabolic resistance diet from time to time. He suggested it for no more than three days at a time or so (I think), since they don't really know the long-term effects. It's truly nothing but high fats and some protein. I've tried the three-day "fat fast" in the past, but what I'm doing now is an all high-fat/protein meal every other day or so.

On my metabolism, it's actually above average! I had that tested. Also had my cortisol tested, which is fine (tho not saliva test that I think Dr. S. recommends). Even my doctor, who's an endocrinologist, is mystified as to where all this weight came from.

However, after recounting what I eat to his assistant recently, I realized I've probably added in more carbs using SP than I should. Up around 40-60 a day, probably. Under Atkins, I couldn't go over 30, after "induction." On the other hand, as I've mentioned on this site earlier, in my latest attempt at Atkins(3-4 years ago), so few carbs left me with NO ENERGY. Which then led me to SP. I should add that I did try "pure Atkins" 2-3 years before that (when my second child was around 2), and lost 50 pounds. Back it came after several really stressful periods -- despite little change in eating!

However, when I think back, I had also started working again (thus more sitting), younger son wanted out of his stroller early (so no more fast-walking behind stroller), stress and more stress (learning and health problems with kids). The stress has abated by now, but that doesn't mean the weight has! No fair!

Off to do some exercise. Thanks for being there!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-06, 00:38

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

how is it working?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 08:42

BF:
Progress:

Hi Unity -- so far so good. I think I started on March 10, and have lost 5 pounds. That isn't terribly dramatic, but more than weight loss, I am noticing "fat" loss. Pants I felt "poured into" for the past two years now actually feel loose in thighs and "baby pouch" (that part of lower abdomen that has yet to disappear, even though my younger son is now 10!). I also feel less "puffy" all over.

This is also without any other changes in diet or excercise since...I've still had little time to step up the excercise to 20-30 minutes per day. It does force me to stick to an eating schedule, since the pills have to be taken 30 minutes before meals. Between that, and timing my niacin (for low HDL) pills between meals, it helps keep my meals "organized" and stretched out. This was something that came up in a book I read on low-carb diets in general -- about how between meals is when insulin goes down and glucagon kicks in.

That, in turn, is supposed to be when the blood goes after energy stored in fat cells (if I'm understanding all this correctly). Anyway, once I read about it, I realized that's the part that doesn't seem to "happen" for me -- emptying out the fat cells, even while following SP .

I see you're on "Protein Power." I actually just got the book at a tag sale, and have only really thumbed through it so far. They seem to go into a lot more detail about the roles of insulin and glucagon than SP or Atkins. Do you find the program much different from SP or Atkins?

Re Insulin and Glucagon -- I actually came across a good discussion of the two in my medical journal "search" of a few weeks ago. I'll dig out the reference and pass it on to you all.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-06, 23:37

BF:

May I ask what the Glucofast costs and what it tastes like? Do you buy it only online? Or some arcane healthfood store?

Five pounds is great! Less puffy is good!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-29-06, 12:11

BF:
Progress:

The more you buy, the less you pay. I think I've started with a three-month supply. Also, you would probably take less pills per day than me, since you have less to lose. If you go to their website, it will have the information. Just google "Glucofast" and follow any link to their site. (They may also be advertising on this forum at the top of the page next time you're on. That's how I found them.)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-10-06, 08:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/250/125 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:
Question glucofast

hello, I'm new to the forum and joined because I saw your posting about glucofast. I am considering trying this product, how has it worked for you. :
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 17:37

Plan: SP
Stats: 137/137/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb Howdee

I am new to this forum and I wanted to tell all about my success with "Eat Right 4 Your Type" blood type diet in conjunction with these other diets (ie. SP, Adkins, etc.). The blood type diet tells you what foods wreak havoc with your metabolism and make you fat, so they should be avoided.

I am a B blood type and therefore need to avoid chicken, corn and peanuts at all costs. Whenever I eat a chicken breast I gain about 5 POUNDS! and to a lessor degree the same with the other foods. My family has followed this for at least 4 years and we are all at a good weight and enjoy as much food as we want if it's within our blood type allowed list!

SO, I use this info to make the most of these other advisors/diets. I am very greatful that my Dr recomended SP due to my severely damaged metabolism. I expect to begin to recover very soon!

Anyone else follow the blood type diet??
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 18:00

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Hi latte,
I started reading here about glucofast, but got to your post. I belong to the BTD website forum, go there occasionally. I also
try to follow the BTD along with southbeach right now. My husband's cholesterol is bad, we are both about 20 or so lbs overweight....I am type O, he is type B....of course South Beach
has you eat chicken.....(we had it tonight) and now after reading your post I feel guilty. I did make a lamb dish the other night, and we both were down lb wise the next day. So thanks for reminding me of combining plans.....thanks!
But I realized also, that South Beach uses lots of lowfat dairy, good for my type B hubby, not for me. So we have had mixed results on the phase 1, now on phase 2, I am trying to stick closer to the blood type ideas, which work well
with Schwarzbein, whole foods, not lowfat or tampered with....still trying to find what will work for us. During phase 1 of South beach it is quite low carb,
I had no energy except for the first day or so...then it was downhill, so adding some back has helped alot as far as energy is concerned.....