Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 11:32

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 209/162/150 Female 168
BF:
Progress:
Default some questions from a newbie..

Hi!

Im for Norway, so sorry if my english is bad

Im new to paleo..converting from general LCHF....

I wonder what fat sources is Paleo..im reading lots of paleo stuff on the internett and most pages suggest lean meats, and fats from mainly nuts, almonds, avocado and so on.
Would it be wrong to get most of the fat fram a animal..for example bacon?

Im trying to commit 100% to the Paleo eating, but the exeptions are salts and spices, protein powder(from milkprotein, but glukose and lactose free) and soy milk..

as i understand its not paleo to drink/eat soy and soy products, and people get there protein by the food they eat. i use soymilk with my proteinpowder.
could i use somthig else?

My other problem is to get enough protein from what i eat..my goal is to eat 110-160grams of protein dayly. and even though i eat LOTS of meat, i still dont get morge then about 80grams of proteins without eating inzane amounts of food...

What do you paleo guyes do? Do you use supplements?

I would add that i exercise 5 days a week..3 days full body strenght/weight lifting..and 2 days sprint intervalls e.t.c...

My goal is to loose fat% while gain muscle mass

i have so far acomplished a weight loss from 209-161pounds..i dont longer have pimples and psoreases. i have lots of energy, and sleep good

Any advise is welcome!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Paleo/Atkins/IF
Stats: 178.4/151/130 Female 5'5"
BF:28%/24.9%/20%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne83
I wonder what fat sources is Paleo..im reading lots of paleo stuff on the internett and most pages suggest lean meats, and fats from mainly nuts, almonds, avocado and so on.
Would it be wrong to get most of the fat fram a animal..for example bacon?

Hi Marianne83

I am doing Paleo (now - was just low carb) and I've found coconut oil works great with the plan. And yes, BACON!!!! Using EVOO is good too, but not for cooking so much as a dressing or flavoring. It doesn't do as well as coconut oil or lard once the heat goes above medium. It someone breaks down and the resulting fats are oxidized (not good) once you get it too hot...like in flash frying.

Good luck on the Paleo diet! I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results! I'm diabetic and except for using heavy whipping cream in my coffee, it's been friendly to me. About a month ago I added coconut oil to my regimen and lost about 7 pounds while keeping carbs around 70-90 a day.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 12:42

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Getting enough protein on paleo is too easy. It's very easy to get far more than you actually need.
I doubt you are eating "lots of meat" if you can't get 160 grams of protein per day and you are certainly not eating lots of meat if you only get 80 grams. How many grams of meat are you eating per day?
What is the protein powder made from?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 13:43

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
I doubt you are eating "lots of meat" if you can't get 160 grams of protein per day and you are certainly not eating lots of meat if you only get 80 grams. How many grams of meat are you eating per day?
What is the protein powder made from?

so what is your recomendation on protein amount?
For example..today my meat sourses came from 1 egg, 200grams ckicken and 100grams of salomon..and its 95grams of proteins. With this i eat vegetables, some nuts/seeds and some berries.. And i am FULL
Yes, i do struggle to get 160grams of proteins.

I must eat 700grams of chicken or 23 eggs to get to these amounts.

No way i can eat that much meat a day..even if i only ate meat without veggies.

But, im not even 100% shure i need this amount of protein, but ive read many places on the internet about Paleo that its suggested to multiply 1 with your body weight.

The protein powder is extraced isolates from milkprotein, but free from glucuse and lactose. its called Nutri tech Prozyme
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 06:46

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne83
For example..today my meat sourses came from 1 egg, 200grams ckicken and 100grams of salomon
Like I said, that is not lots of meat.
Quote:
so what is your recomendation on protein amount?
Don't worry about it. You are eating enough protein.
Most of the info around, about protein requirements seem to come via protein supplement ads and from articles in magazines and websites that carry protein supplment ads.
I wouldn't bother with the protein powder and soy unless you are trying to cram easy to swallow calories down your neck. If you are trying to lose fat, you wont need to be doing that.

This was originally on Ellington Darden's now defunct ClassicX site.
Quote:
You need a lot less (protein) than most bodybuilders believe.
My research shows that the U.S Department of
Agriculture's recommendation for protein is on target.
They recommend 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram
of body weight per day. Thus, at 170 pounds, or 77.3
kilograms, you would require 61.84 grams of protein a
day (77.3 x .8 = 61.84).
I told you it was easy to get enough protein on paleo.
Read more of it here. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/grou...st/message/8468
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 10:32

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren D
I told you it was easy to get enough protein on paleo.

Oh yes! it is easy now that i udnerstand hehe

Well ..now im not worried about the proteins anymore.

Thanks for clearing my mind