Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 10:44

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 146/146/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Help-Severe heartburn

I have been eating a 100% Paleo diet for 7 days now. I have done this before with no problems. Last week I was having some pretty intense heartburn and today it is worse than ever and now I'm having acid reflux along with it. Everything I read about Paleo says that it helps with heartburn, so I'm confused as to what is causing this. I cut out my coffee to see if that could be it, but no such luck. Any ideas? Also, what is a "Paleo approved" medicine to take for this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: Whole 30
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress: 26%

I would suggest some ginger tea to help. I will sometimes get heartburn if I eat too much fruit after a big meal.....what have you been eating?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 11:36

Plan: Atkins/Primal
Stats: 189/161/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoChic
I have been eating a 100% Paleo diet for 7 days now. I have done this before with no problems. Last week I was having some pretty intense heartburn and today it is worse than ever and now I'm having acid reflux along with it. Everything I read about Paleo says that it helps with heartburn, so I'm confused as to what is causing this. I cut out my coffee to see if that could be it, but no such luck. Any ideas? Also, what is a "Paleo approved" medicine to take for this?

Try googling 'HCl and digestion'...a lot of times what we think is too much stomach acid is actually the opposite. HCl is cheap, easy to take and very obvious if you are lacking.

There are a few threads here that discuss the protocol. HIGHLY recommend trying this out before you go the antacid route!!

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 10:01

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 146/146/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you both for your input!!!! I'm going to check both of these out!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-11, 14:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Did you introduce some new food when going paleo? Or are you eating substantially more of something? I'd suspect any food that is new or you're eating a lot more of.

What's your history with heartburn? Have you suffered from it in the past? Taken medication for it? Did you recently quit the medication?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-30-11, 09:05

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

I had to cut fat. Not low fat just not so high.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-12, 17:24

Plan: Need to research first
Stats: 140/140/120 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I don't know if it's paleo, but apple cider vinegar neutralizes the acids in your stomach. I used to have severe heartburn and was taking Tums to stop the pain.... yeah, it wasn't working. Now I take a tbsp of apple cider vinegar about 2-3 times per year when I start feeling a flare up. It has worked wonders!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 06:04

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

I found that any sort of carb soon after a high protein and fat meal can cause acid problems. Carbs right before a high protein and fat meal is not a problem.
Soup is ok as long as I drink the liquid part before eating the meat.