Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 16:05

Plan: own
Stats: 276/230/200 Male 1.78m
BF:
Progress:
Default Konjac Flour

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else had come across Konjac flour (or Glucomannan flour). I had read online that it was could for thickening sauces and desert fillings but I have either made a hockey puck or had no affect. I have had a lot of success with Xanthan gum but failed miserably with this stuff. Does anyone have any recipes or advice? I was hoping to make a hot desert such as rice pudding or something....

Any help would be appreciated as my hockey puck production is costing me a fortune!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-03-17, 22:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 336/288/199 Female 5'11"
BF:Losing it....
Progress: 35%

From https://oureverydaylife.com/can-use...king-41680.html
Quote:
While you wouldn't want to bake a cake with only konjac flour, it can play an important role in baking as a gluten-free thickening product. Konjac flour, or konjac gum as is also called, has up to 10 times the viscosity of cornstarch, yet does not contain starch or sugar and has no calories. Use konjac flour along with whole-wheat flour to improve the texture of baked goods or put it to use to thicken pies, puddings and cakes.
When using konjac flour as a thickener, measure the konjac flour carefully and don't be tempted to add more than needed, as this can ruin an item by making it overly thick or hard. Konjac flour can be boiled, but extended boiling after adding konjac flour can cause it to become runny and lose its viscosity once the item cools. If thickening a sauce, pie filling or pudding, do not boil the mixture for more than one minute after adding the konjac flour.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Dec-04-17 at 03:03. Reason: Adding Link
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-17, 03:13
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal
Stats: 165/149/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi and welcome. I'd recommend googling around for tried-and-true recipes, and reading the comments. There are quite a few out there, though I haven't tried them.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-04-17, 05:00

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/128/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 106%

I used to make a pudding with konjac flour and coconut milk. I had to use very little flour or it got much too thick. It's been a long time since I've made it so I can't remember the exact amount but it was very little. This was not a cooked pudding just coconut milk, cinnamon, vanilla and konjac flour.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-05-17, 15:31

Plan: own
Stats: 276/230/200 Male 1.78m
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the responses. I have tried googling and though there are plenty of cold recipes out there I was looking for something hot. I admit I am a bit surprised at how few recipes I can find.

I think I may not be mixing it well enough when I add it to the liquid, I am using a hand mixer but I will try it for longer next time. I also read to try mixing it with a small amount of cold water prior to adding it to the recipe but that was the worse result yet!