Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-14, 07:25

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Insulin toxicity and how to cure diabetes

Jason Fung is a Nephrologist in Scarborough. One of my Dad's global warming sites did a post on the Diabetes/very low calorie diet study, and somebody in the comment section posted some of this guy's videos. I somehow managed to have no idea who this guy is. I'm sure somebody must have posted about him here before, but I must have missed it.

Fung reduces insulin resistance to being mostly caused by excess insulin--so his approach is to get insulin as low as possible. So while he seems to advocate low carb and adequate protein, and is very fat-friendly, he considers therapeutic fasting the cornerstone of insulin resistance/type II diabetes reversal.

I think I've read that Donaldson used to start his low-carb plan with a two-day fast. One of those earlier advocates did, anyways. The point was to reduce insulin as much as possible, as quickly as possible. Atkins reasoned that just going more or less carb-free--induction--should work as well. But it didn't always work, did it? Because we have the fat fast--and what's that, but an emergency induction, meant to do basically what induction was supposed to do--jump-start fat loss, by getting insulin levels as low as possible.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-17, 04:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Roy Taylor's very low calorie diet has been proven to work in a primary care setting. This study in the Lancet is pinging around this morning. The word Remission is used in the title:

Primary care-led weight management for remission of type 2 diabetes (DiRECT): an open-label, cluster-randomised trial

Dr Fung tweets it. "Yet MDs still insist tyoe 2 diabetes is a chronic progressive disease"

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478710

Link to Lancet Study: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...ext?elsca1=tlpr

Even if 800 calorie shakes are draconian, at 12 months, almost half of patients diabetes was in remission. Would be much easier to eat LC (where is that Virta study?) but just validating the concept of diabetes remission is exciting.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Dec-06-17 at 04:44.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-06-17, 22:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

thanks for reviving this topic.

As an avid dr atkins reader, this concept, to slow the progression of insulin resistence via low carbs, seemed well explained in every edition I read. Cells became "not resistant" to insulin very quickly. Progression of the disease stalled and function of the body became normalized.

Dr Atkin lists a 5 step progression, ending with diabetes 2. The last stages are more difficult to manage and the right diet is a key tool. He is careful to note that meds are NOT the cureall big pharma would like us to beleive either. Prevention and stop the progression is worth the effort.

I have known this info since 2002.....how is the medical profession still in the dark?