Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 220/196/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Controlled Carb Study

Didn't know if you guys were familiar with this -

RESEARCHERS ADDRESS URGENT NEED FOR LONG TERM DATA ON NUTRITIONAL IMPACT AND HABITS OF CONTROLLED CARBOHYDRATE LIFESTYLES

The first scientific tracking system designed to provide researchers with accurate data on controlled carbohydrate eating habits is now up and running on the world wide web. The purpose of CCARBS (The Controlled Carbohydrate Assessment Registry Bank Study), study is to investigate long-term weight variations, eating patterns and lifestyles of Americans who follow a controlled carbohydrate nutritional approach. This will be the first time that any medical facility has undertaken this task, applying rigorous scientific and objective methods rather than just collecting anecdotal and random information.

CCARBS will address many of the ongoing and long-term questions posed by the growing role of controlled carbohydrate weight-loss diets in obesity and obesity-related disease management. The study will also function as a unique source of ongoing data for qualified investigators and journalists seeking to answer specific hypothesis and questions. CCARBS will also provide the first database to provide an accurate assessment of the controlled carbohydrate lifestyle population in the United States.

The research is being independently conducted at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University and has been made possible though an unrestricted grant from the Dr. Robert C. Atkins Foundation.

“While controlled carbohydrate weight-loss diets (containing no more than 25 percent of energy as carbohydrates) have been popular with the general public for more than 30 years,” explains Principal Investigator, Dr. CJ Segal-Isaacson, “little is known about the characteristics of people who use controlled carbohydrate diets to regulate their weight or their level of long-term success with weight maintenance.

“The purpose of CCARBS is to establish an internet-based epidemiological cohort of dieters who are using or have used controlled carbohydrate diets. With the data we collect we plan to identify key lifestyle patterns associated with using controlled carbohydrate diets and predictors of success with using them. We will also be looking at the effect of controlled carbohydrate diets on cholesterol levels and other blood lipids in a subset of CCARBS participants and compare them to age and gender-matched people who use low fat diets for weight control.”
The eligibility criteria for becoming a participant in the CCARB study is:

1. To have been on a controlled carbohydrate diet for at least two months within the past two years.
2. To be 18 years or older.
3. To be willing to answer questionnaires online for three years (at baseline, three months and then annually for three years.)

Controlled carb followers who are interested in participating in the study can simply log on to the CCARB Study website at http://epi.aecom.yu.edu/ccarbs, register, take the initial screening questionnaire and then follow instructions for participation.

Once accepted in the registry, CCARBS participants will receive, in addition to the satisfaction of contributing significantly to scientific knowledge about controlled carbohydrate diets, the following free services:

Dietary analysis each time they complete questionnaires
Access to a nutritionist to ask questions online
Monthly newsletters on controlled carbohydrate topics and other health-related topics
Controlled carbohydrate recipes
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 14:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

Hi - this was going around a couple of months ago. A bunch of us members applied and got into the study. I got rejected - no idea why.
Diane
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 16:29

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

Maybe because we're too successful, and the study authors have an agenda. But then again, I could be just another conspiracy nut.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 18:57

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Diane, maybe you were rejected because you're a cat.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 20:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Indeed, my many cats are obligate carnivores, and they've never been happier since I've gone to Atkins - they eat about 50% of my steaks, as opposed to about 0% of my former ineffective rice cakes.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-09-03, 20:05

Meow - they really ARE out to get us.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 220/196/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 30%

I just heard about it recently - I took the test and got accepted, ,but then I don't know why I was accepted.
Now I have to send in my little Consent form.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 12:24

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

i,ve just been accepted into the study.we,ll see what happens. maybe they wanted a diabetic!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:15

You guys are bummin' me out! What's wrong with me???
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Oh, poor kitty! <scratches just behind her ears>
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and Eades
Stats: 132/115/110
BF:
Progress: 77%

I was accepted, my Dr. signed the form after I was weighed & measured & then they emailed me the questions to answer on the web. It should beinteresting.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-03, 16:24

Prrrrrrrrrrr
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:00

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 105/105/105 Female 63ins
BF:
Progress:

got my atkins hater nurse to sign the form today and,guess what?SHES STARTED ATKINS 2 WEEKS AGO.funny how the tides change.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:05

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

After reading the posts here, I called the lead researcher of the study, Dr. CJ Segal-Isaacson. She assured me that the study is still enrolling subjects, and probably will be for the next year. Since the study population is large, she explained that a certain amount of bureaucratic mixups will occur. She encouraged me to contact her again by mid-August if I haven't heard back from her team (I passed the initial screening questionnaire and sent in my consent forms and weight forms today). If you've been accepted, sent in your consent and weight forms, and haven't heard back within 30 days, call the researchers (numbers are listed on the consent form).

Last edited by acohn : Fri, Jul-11-03 at 11:07.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-11-03, 11:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins and Eades
Stats: 132/115/110
BF:
Progress: 77%

Pepsi Max, That is great! If people were only more aware of the health benefits and luxury eating,Atkins Nutritional Lifestyle would be the most popular in the USA!