Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 12:32
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
... Even someone with a gym in her garage and writing a LC cookbook could regain 60-100 pounds once the Cross-Fit was taken from her and the deal inked.

...Just not a fan of Cross-Fit at this point...another all or nothing approach...plus with an exact goal weight on an exact date...her birthday in one year. Seems she is set to repeat a pattern.

At this stage of the game, this is my biggest worry. How many times have I heard how much more difficult maintenance is than taking the weight off? I don't want a repeat of my previous patterns. If an LC fitness blogger and LC cookbook author can't toe the line - then I know I certainly cannot take things for granted. I've got the losing thing down pat. I hope I can figure out what I need to do to maintain. I think staying active here on this forum will certainly help. Disappearing seems to lead to disaster.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 12:57

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
In her case, after reaching goals of a healthy weight and being certified as a Cross-Fit trainer, then being asked to "leave that tribe", she just stopped exercising. Completely. She is also offered a cookbook deal, and while creating new LC recipes, she is instead eating more and more "bad meals". As Gretchen Rubin wrote, goals are tricky things, there needs to be another reason beyond that one goal once reached. Even someone with a gym in her garage and writing a LC cookbook could regain 60-100 pounds once the Cross-Fit was taken from her and the deal inked. She had a fragile hold on all the health and wellness she had achieved.

About exercise, Dr Hallberg, an exercise physiologist before becoming an obesity doctor, said in her interview that for most of her patients who do arrive with hip, knee and back pain, she considers exercise "dangerous". They do no exercise until they are ready, and then only 5 minutes a day. That part at the 20 minute mark. This blogger's regain was so rapid I wonder about stress on her joints and back, but if you don't have any, then exercise like Ken. Walking is great...Just not a fan of Cross-Fit at this point...another all or nothing approach...plus with an exact goal weight on an exact date...her birthday in one year. Seems she is set to repeat a pattern.

I think it's amazing anyone can lose like that along with such an intense exercise program. I find it impossible and overtrain at the drop of a hat, especially if I am losing. But I know for some people that is what "works". But, yeah, it's probably completely unsustainable. I think if it felt good for her, though, maybe it is the way? People's bodies are so different.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 12:59

BF:

I would add that half the trainers I know are overweight or even obese. I go to a Y with my kids who are members and I haven't seen many normal weight exercise instructors. They are beasts in their sport but all big people. The same was true at my old commercial gym.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 13:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I didn't exercise for the first 4 months of this WOE. After I'd lost about 65 pounds I did start a walking regiment. It was painful. I had sore feet, sciatica and a very weak and sore lower back. Walking was not fun and not easy; and things got worse before they got better. Weight was a factor. How could it not be? I was still 375 pounds and moving at a snails pace -- but I was moving.

As hard as it was when I first started, the pain and physical exertion was tolerable and I made progress rather quickly. It was not weight loss progress. It was about feeling more fit and being able to do more. When I started in May 2014 I could barely walk a mile. By the end of the summer I was walking at a better clip and could easily do 3 miles. Over that time, my rate of loss actually slowed down. I'd lost faster before I started walking. But the exercise was therapeutic and rejuvenating. I could do more of life's regular activities and I was having less pain. By the end of the summer I'd lost 35 more pounds and was feeling like a new man. As the pain started to subside, I started enjoying my daily walks more and more each day - even at 340 pounds.

In December 2014 I broke my foot. I was just walking. One little hop from the parking lot to the curb snapped one metatarsal and cracked two others. The Ped Dr. said there was nothing wrong with my bones. It was just a little too much stress and the right set of circumstances. It happens. But again, I'm sure my weight (310 or so) was a factor. Still, this does not mean that I shouldn't have been walking. There is no way to know for sure, but I think I am farther along health wise because I have been doing regular exercise within my capabilities. Jogging at 300+ pounds may have been within my capabilities, too. But I don't think I would have enjoyed it and it certainly would have put excessive stress on my back, feet, and other joints. I don't think it would have been a smart thing to do at my weight. I don't have any notable problems with my feet, knees, and hip joints. I'd like to keep it that way. Walking works just fine for me.

I see diet as the means to weight loss and exercise as the means for getting fit, getting stronger, and feeling healthier. I think diet can make exercise more beneficial and certainly can help with the pain. Exercise + a bad diet is beneficial, too. Just don't expect to lose weight from it (especially if your insulin resistant). I'm a firm believer in the notion that "You cannot outrun a bad diet.". But I also believe what Dr. Atkins says about exercise... that it is "non-negotiable." A good diet and regular activity make for a healthier you.

I walk regularly at a local middle school track. There are several regulars that go there and a couple of groups that do intense workouts with a fitness trainer. They have been doing it for months and I actually feel a little sorry for the heavier participants. I don't see any progress with their weight. They are working hard at it and from what I see they do appear to be more fit than when they first started. They jog faster and get more of a workout in during their hour long session. I'm sure they are doing it to shed a few pounds. That does not appear to be happening. They keep busting their butts and I just keep walking circles around them.

I have lost over 30 pounds since the fitness trainer sessions got started. Their trainer has noticed and has thrown out some nice comments to me as I walk by. Maybe one day one of the participants will ask me what I'm doing. You know me... If they ask, I'll have plenty to say.

That is a great story. With your metatarsal, some people believe that the bones need to snap sometimes to grow back in a different configuration if our body changes drastically as our foot shape changes. They see it as a natural progression, so who knows? I see exercise as non-negotiable but I also see it as something that doesn't have to spiral upwards in a plan towards more and more and more. I think that mentality is what gets people in trouble. I mean, athletes can be very unhealthy people, eating junk, constant adrenaline. My kids swim on a swim team and the kids all perform at high levels, but the other kids are eating junk food all the time. It's not health they enjoy but something else.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 13:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Walking is great...Just not a fan of Cross-Fit at this point...another all or nothing approach...plus with an exact goal weight on an exact date...her birthday in one year. Seems she is set to repeat a pattern.

I totally agree with you, Janet.
I think that broader goals are more sustainable. For me, it was get the weight off and keep it off. No time tables or a set date for it to happen. I took my sweet time. I then had to figure out what I needed to do to do that.

Ken,
I'm not worried about you at all.
I can see where you'd have fears as I did as I neared my goal. But, you've been teaching yourself to eat a certain way and its not only brought you weight loss but much better overall health. I'm sure that you'll continue to eat this way after you reach your goal weight. Why wouldn't you??
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-15, 16:41

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
At this stage of the game, this is my biggest worry. How many times have I heard how much more difficult maintenance is than taking the weight off? I don't want a repeat of my previous patterns. If an LC fitness blogger and LC cookbook author can't toe the line - then I know I certainly cannot take things for granted. I've got the losing thing down pat. I hope I can figure out what I need to do to maintain. I think staying active here on this forum will certainly help. Disappearing seems to lead to disaster.

Maintenance hasn't been hard for me. I did experience one 20 pound weight gain after I had lost 90 pounds but that came off again easily and then some once I realized what was happening. I think the trick for me has been understanding that this is not primarily about weight but about health. Weight may be a marker for health but it is really only part of the picture. If I want to optimize my health, to normalize my bp, to keep my bg's within a normal range, to keep my joints from hurting and, for me, to keep my gastro-intestinal tract under control (I have a lot of food sensitivities) then I need to continue eating the way I am eating. This is true no matter what my weight does. I have no doubt that you can do this too, Ken, because you understand the bigger picture about health.

Jean
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-15, 17:59

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 230/165/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Getting back to my original point on weight loss maintenance......IMO, the way we lost it will require that same stuff to keep it off. Meaning, if you lost it doing crossfit with a low carb diet, if you ever stop doing crossfit and indulge just a little, you will regain.

The whole point of creating a solid plan is to be able to continue it long term after you've lost the weight. Do what you'll be able to keep doing.

Being highly motivated to lose excess weight can easily be a factor in doing something like crossfit. Once that weight is gone, you'll need to find a new motivation to keep doing it. Its requires a lot of time and dedication and once that weight is gone, interest wanes.

I REALLY hate exercising just to exercise. I enjoy talking a walk along the river with friends and taking photos. I enjoy taking the dogs for a walk. Or some times just taking an evening stroll to get out of the house and enjoy the cool evening air. I used to force myself to do my stationary bike and i just do not enjoy it any more. I know our Joe does all her computer work on her stationary bike.

So for now for me I am going to have to continue to lose my weight by my WOE only and not the exercise. I get a lot of exercise just taking care of hubby and this place. I do not sit all the time.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-15, 20:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades65
I REALLY hate exercising just to exercise. I enjoy talking a walk along the river with friends and taking photos. I enjoy taking the dogs for a walk. Or some times just taking an evening stroll to get out of the house and enjoy the cool evening air. I used to force myself to do my stationary bike and i just do not enjoy it any more. I know our Joe does all her computer work on her stationary bike.

So for now for me I am going to have to continue to lose my weight by my WOE only and not the exercise. I get a lot of exercise just taking care of hubby and this place. I do not sit all the time.

I love to exercise to exercise, but I had to start getting creative since becoming a full-time SAHM to homeschooled kids. Our dryer went on the fritz and I decided to get rid of the washer and dryer and do all our laundry by hand for the exercise. I do a lot of stuff like that. I also don't have a car, so anything we want to do on a regular, daily basis has to be walked. Most days I walk at least 3 miles taking the kids to different activities or going shopping. I try to build it in little by little.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-15, 21:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

I think the comment about slim athletes sustaining injuries was apt, but more because, if it's possible to injure yourself exercising when you are NOT carrying excess weight, it's that much easier, and the injury will be more severe, if you are.

My husband is an athlete. He's also a 4.0 tennis player (USTA bumped him up from his comfort zone of 3.5, last year), and runs a sub 1:30 half marathon. This year he went up an age group, to the 55-59, and his just under 1:28 got him 4th place in his "big" half at Grandma's Marathon in Duluth.

But. He's had severe knee pain, to the point of needing crutches, from landing all his weight on one leg, going up after a lob. Not even an injury; he has arthritis in both knees, and the lack of cushion made the force of the landing dangerous.

His brand new tennis shoes, with torsion that was too stiff, betrayed him on a turn, and he sprained an ankle, which, two years later, needs to be supported for tennis.

He tore his gastrocnemius doing hills, three weeks before Grandma's, a few years ago.

His weight varies between about 165 during training and 175 in the winter, when he does more lifting.

Any of those injuries, with significant extra weight, could have caused a lot more damage.

Me? I walk a lot. After a head injury, I'm a little leery of any activity that could bump my head.

But, just maybe, in a couple years, I'll go back to downhill skiing. I miss it more than golf, biking, and kayaking all together.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 05:01

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Oh wow, I used to adore downhill skiing! After I shredded the posterior cruciate ligament in my left knee my orthopedic surgeon told me I should never again do sports that put a lot of torque on the knee (like tennis, skiing), or lots of heavy stress (running), and said I should stick to walking, biking or swimming.

I think I should try biking but last time tried (last year) I didn't even make it out of my driveway before I fell over and hurt my leg and ankle. Presumably because of my weight I can't walk all that much. It only takes a walk of a mile or two and my heels are so cracked and bleeding that I have to then hobble around in pain for days.

I *adore* swimming and when I lived in NJ I belonged to gym that had a nice pool and swam long laps there several times a week.

But now the only nearby place with a pool is the Y, and it's so beastly expensive I can't afford to belong! Yeah I know realistically that I'll never ski again, , but I *could* swim if there were only a place to do it.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 06:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The Ys in our Region offer financial assistance; it is their mission that everyone in the community has access to wellness facilities. Also a reduced senior membership and will hire part-timers to help them pay for their % . You like kids...an after-school program?...That will give you exercise!
We have miles and miles of great greenway/biking trails...but getting TO them on roads is taking your life in your hands. Need to have a good bike rack too.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 08:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig

I *adore* swimming and when I lived in NJ I belonged to gym that had a nice pool and swam long laps there several times a week.

But now the only nearby place with a pool is the Y, and it's so beastly expensive I can't afford to belong! Yeah I know realistically that I'll never ski again, , but I *could* swim if there were only a place to do it.

I like swimming and have been swimming with my kids' team in the free rec center pool this summer (daily 2 hour practices which, no, I do not get through most of the time because I am not in that kind of shape!). The kids are at the Y on scholarship and we can't afford a family member ship or an individual membership for me, so I just find other ways.

I wonder why your heels crack? Do you think it's a nutritional deficiency? Because that doesn't sound weight-related.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 20:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%

I wonder about the heels, too. If you haven't tried walking recently, maybe now that you are eating more healthily, and have such great results, it would be easier for you.

I love Janet's info about the Y's, it's something I never knew!

It's been six years now since I've skied at all. I broke my foot in 2009, in a fall. The next year, I found out I had low level osteoporosis, and couldn't ski till after a clear bone scan. THAT happened the spring before my accident.

Lucky I learned about gratitude, huh?
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 12:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Please delete this if it is inappropriate!
That blogger used to post here, and in my unprofessional opinion showed clear signs of disordered eating. The fact that she went the other way and lost all control over her eating leads me to think her issues are much more complex than "she loosened up too much with diet because she though she could exercise them off."
She simply traded one ED in for another, which is not uncommon.

For the record, YES exercise for obese people is more dangerous (I'm a personal trainer with a M.S. in exercise science)- BUT there is always a way to reduce injury risk and work out. And yes, Crossfit does MODIFY level of difficulty to each participant. There is nothing inherently wrong with CF- there are simply bad COACHES.
And your obese client will actually often EXCEL at things like a rowing machine because they have so much muscle under all the fat from simply carrying that weight burden around in their normal lives. on a rower, you are taking away the burden of carrying that weight, and boom! when you put the person next to a skinny minny, the obese client often will "win" the race! it's pretty cool to see them light up, when they realize "i CAN do this."
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-15, 13:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Robin, I don't disagree and think your post should stay. There is another food blogger who had similar issues a few years ago of losing and overeating cycles. Don't know what has happened since studiously avoid her recipes now.Though many adore her blog because the recipes recreate the sweet foods that got us all into trouble.

Kyndra update at three months: http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/2015...nd-journey.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Nov-19-15 at 13:43.