Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 09:55

Plan: Keto
Stats: 185.8/157.4/135 Female 5'4""
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Tired of being obsessed with my weight

I guess my title says it all. Sometimes I just get so tired of being obsessed with my food and weight. I have been successfully following a keto diet for the last 40 days. It's been great. I feel really good; I don't feel deprived at all; I'm losing weight at a good rate (down 13 lbs so far). In short, things are going great. But the truth is I am thinking about my weight and my food choices all the time. I mean ALL THE TIME. It's not even that I'm hungry that much. I'm actually rarely hungry. I just can't seem to follow the plan and live my life. Instead following the plan IS my life. Have any of you felt this way? If so, how did you get out of it? I have no intention of stopping this WOE but I don't want to be so consumed by it. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I would recommend giving it a little more time. It is very regimented at first. You have to be vigilant of every little thing, counting and measuring and weighing. It's because you're undoing old bad habits and ingraining new good ones. As time wears on, things will become much more second nature because you'll have a better idea of macros and carb content and be able to quickly count in your head, or just know what works for you and what doesn't. It's a process.

I hesitate to use the word "relaxed" to describe how it gets better and easier because some (like me, for example) sometimes interpret that as being lax, i.e., "cheating" or being in denial about being able to reincorporate old bad habits that tripped you up in the first place. But I do mean relaxed in the sense where you just get used to choosing the right foods and behaviors that really do work for you.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 11:32

BF:

Thank you. That makes total sense. Time. It takes time to lose weight so of course it will take time to develop habits that are second nature.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 11:53

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Menew. I agree with Barb. We find a new normal.

I'm sending you good thoughts.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 13:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm

I'm sending you good thoughts.

... Me too!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 13:55

BF:

Thank you!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 15:04

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have a kind of mantra that I use to keep me on the path to health, "if you want the results you have to create the causes". Sometimes it's not easy to stay the course but if you remind yourself why you are doing what you are doing then you can overcome negative attitudes. It's also true that over time this way of eating becomes your new normal and doesn't take as much thought to accomplish. In other words you will obsess less. Maybe you need to be obsessed now if you want to develop strong and lasting habits.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 20:46

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think about it every waking moment. Every meal. Every snack (nuts are weighed in baggies to prevent overdoing). It gets tiresome, that’s for sure, but...what’s the alternative? I think you know.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 21:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I hear you Menew. THis is a new way of eating and thinking..... and takes time to build new habits. There is a 90 day new habit challenge to help change anything you want to cement.

For me, food must become my life, or else I cant drop the poounds. It is how I am wired. A friend plans her meals for the day in advance. Maybe that would take food off your mind a bit.

I wonder if the programs where the meals are scheduled for a months time is easier for many people. Reduces the thinking time involved. Perhaps if you were able to schedule a few days of meal might reduce your understandable obsession.

After many years LCing, I know most foods by heart. And to check packaging, that is done in a flash. Lots of practice over MANY years.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 21:42
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Look into intermittent fasting. It has been a lifesaver for me. No more obsessing about what I eat, just when I eat. A good book to read is "Delay Don't Deny" by Gin Stephens. It has changed my life. You can follow the plan while doing low carb, but also there are alternatives in the book.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 00:19

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree with scintillad. Fasting sounds so hard, and takes some getting used to, but I find It is much easier to plan and enjoy one big low carb meal or two smaller low carb meals in an eating window than to have to think about food from rising to going to bed - what can I have, can't have this, only so much of that ...

Last edited by Ambulo : Mon, Apr-23-18 at 06:46.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 02:51

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:

We are hardwired to fixate on food I think, to help us survive. But fixating on weight is really annoying. I have this feeling when I stop weighing myself for a while that I am blowing up like a balloon. And sure enough if I stop watching the carbs, that's what I do!
Maybe it would help fixate on something else. For a while I wanted to have nice nails. So I obsessed about my nails growing and they never seemed to grow. Now I don't think about them they grow and grow. Same with hair. If you cut your hair short and then want it to grow long it will seem like forever. Especially as you can't do anything about it. You have to be careful with your fixations though. Good fixations would be activities you can really get absorbed in - like painting or music. At least that's the case for me. It's hard to get myself into that frame of mind but there are definite benefits.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 09:33

Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Practice does, over time, wear in a new path of least resistance. It does get easier once it goes from action, to habit, and then routine. It finally becomes your new normal.

I, too, plan my entire day's food the night before. I don't have to think about what I'm going to eat, I just follow the plan that takes all of 3 min to make the night before. No "hangry" decisions on "what on earth can I eat!!!" It's already done.

I will have to "obsess" over everything I put in my mouth forever as I can't eyeball portions worth a darn or trust my satiety reflex as it is lazy and slow. But I look at it more as being vigilant and aware. Mindful.

It's all about perspective.
We've got this!

HTH.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 10:13
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I have to admit that I too am somewhat obsessive about this WOE. Some days are worse than others. My kids know that I rarely shut up about it. They consider me a health nut. I am. On one side I am still excited and happy about what this WOE has done for me. I want to keep learning and that alone would put me into the health nut category. But on the other side I feel that I need to stay vigilant. I feel like I am swimming upstream with this WOE and if I relax to much I'll be doing what most every dieter does... going the other way. The way I see it is that if I'm going to obsess about anything in my life, my health is a good choice. We live in a carb centric world with processed junk food all around us. If I lose my focus too much, then I may lose my way. The trick is to find the right balance. I don't want to be too nutty about it.